• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Sighting in rifle

Clockwork

Obsessed Member
I really need to learn how to sight in my 7mm rem mag and AR. What sort of resource did you use (read) to be able to accomplish the task. Like I said though, any resources or if anyone is going out shooting one day and wouldn't mind showing me.

I live in Vegas and I have Thursday and Friday off. Sat and Sunday I’m off at 5pm and Mon-Wed I’m off at 3pm.

Last edited:

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
I really need to learn how to sight in my 7mm rem mag and AR. What sort of resource did you use (read) to be able to accomplish the task. Like I said though, any resources or if anyone is going out shooting one day and wouldn't mind showing me.
We will check zero for my boy's rifle on the way to antelope..Could dial yours in too, if you haven't. Aug 21st is coming quick!
Will be bbqing on the Fourth..Let me know if you want to bore sight the 7mm.
BlackLabsMatter (Chris) has one that gets it done. Never had to touch my .338 after, but probably lucked out a bit.
He can bring it over then.

Last edited:

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The basic short answer is get as stable a platform as humanly possible. If you have a lead sled all the better, but sand bags will do. Shoot groups of 3-5 rounds at say 50-100 yards to start. When you have 3-5 good shots that you didn’t pull or anything find the center of that (hopefully) right group and use that result to adjust your sight/scope. Your scope should have two turrets on it that will have arrows for which direction to turn the dials to move the bullet impact site. For example if you aim bullseye and the bullet holes are low and left you would turn the dials for up and right. It’s helpful to use a target with inch grid patterns and you’ll have to look up on your scope how many clicks one MOA is. At 100 yards one MOA is roughly one inch.

Once you walk in your group to the bullseye (or your chosen aim point) you can then move the target to the distance you want to zero the rifle for and repeat. Then you’ll have your rifle zeroed for that specific distance.

If you can’t shoot a good tight group then before chasing a zero work on your rest, technique, and check your rifle for loose stock/scope mounts.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
Google "one shot sight in method" I like to shoot 3 shoots, and assuming I can get a good group, dial to the center of the group, then shoot another 3 shot group, to verify. The trick is getting the rifle locked down (not moving) while you are twisting the dials. Easy Peasy....

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
...or if anyone is going out shooting one day and wouldn't mind showing me.
This would be a good spot to let us know where you live and what days off you have. The best ideas here will also come from knowing what kind of sights you installed, and what the purpose and effective range you want from each rifle.

You can probably Google how to boresight your rifle so you can be on paper with your first shot at 100 yd without having to shoot at 25 yd first. Make sure you know how to remove the bolt from your rifle. You can do the same with the AR by boresighting just the upper receiver before assembling the rifle and shooting it. Or have a partner with a spotting scope, and he can see what rock you hit for the first adjustment.

Clockwork

Obsessed Member
This would be a good spot to let us know where you live and what days off you have. The best ideas here will also come from knowing what kind of sights you installed, and what the purpose and effective range you want from each rifle.

You can probably Google how to boresight your rifle so you can be on paper with your first shot at 100 yd without having to shoot at 25 yd first. Make sure you know how to remove the bolt from your rifle. You can do the same with the AR by boresighting just the upper receiver before assembling the rifle and shooting it. Or have a partner with a spotting scope, and he can see what rock you hit for the first adjustment.
Good idea I updated the first post

Step 1;) look through the bore at a highly visible target with your rifle secure.
Step 2) dial scope to the same spot on the target
Step 3) fine tune now that you're on paper

If you are bore sighting an AR I recommend measuring from your sight axis to your bore axis. (Height of sights/center of scope, to center of barrel.) Usually 2.5 to 3.5 inches cut it in half say it is now 1.5 inches, put your retical 1.5 inches above your boresight at 25 yds if you can. You will very likly be high at 50, but that is ok if your scope cost less than a grand, or you bypassed the lapping/ torquing when the scope was installed it wont hurt to fire 3-4 into the berm, (allows the lenses more opportunity to move) then fire your paper group. once you are on target, say 3-5 MOA. I would, and do put up a 4 target target so I can run a group bench, prone, kneeling, and standing. this helps me know my under a grand scope is settling in, and gives me perspectives. Once inside of 3-5 MOA I do not adjust more than 2 clicks for a series of 4 targets. letting my scope catch up.

Clockwork

Obsessed Member
Thank you guys for the links and help. I will need to get out there one of these days and finally get er done.

If anyone has any other tips please write them down

Clockwork

Obsessed Member
We will check zero for my boy's rifle on the way to antelope..Could dial yours in too, if you haven't. Aug 21st is coming quick!
Will be bbqing on the Fourth..Let me know if you want to bore sight the 7mm.
BlackLabsMatter (Chris) has one that gets it done. Never had to touch my .338 after, but probably lucked out a bit.
He can bring it over then.
You should have called me Fogie I would have brought the boy over and enjoyed the night. I'll have to see that bore sight Chris has, would be fun to get this gun going good.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
You should have called me Fogie I would have brought the boy over and enjoyed the night. I'll have to see that bore sight Chris has, would be fun to get this gun going good.
I usually fire up my wood grills on the weekend..Give me a buzz end of week to find out whats going on this one.