• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Skinning a yote

One Sic Soul

This is the easiest way to skin a coyote and works good from personal experience.

Just Deserts

They drew First Blood....
Forum Supporter
Man, I can clean fish all day long, but stuff like this is tough for me to do. I guess in a survival situation, I could chunk out a meal, but :scared:

I have a couple possibly stupid questions....
Is coyote meat eatable? Is it more in the emergency eating class?
What can you do with the pelt once skinned?

VegasAR15

a cleansing of the wicked
Forum Supporter
As far as eating, they are edible. I read on another forum that a guy made coyote tacos in his crock pot, but he said they tasted like crap. You are what you eat and they eat a lot of carrion.

varminter22

Obsessed Member
I don't know anyone that has eaten coyote meat. But I suppose one could try it. After all, canines are eaten in some countries!

Sell the pelt. Find a fur dealer, sell at auction, or send to a major fur buyer. Or send it off to be tanned. Or tan it yourself.

thunderkiss

BOOT STOMPIN PREDATORS
I would NOT be eating coyote unless it was Armageddon and there was no other option. Coyote eat so much "trash" (cow/burro crap, our trash, dead stuff) the meat would taste horrible.

battleborn85

use an air compressor to blow the yote up. Make a small slit in the back legs (one for air in/ one for air out.) and watch it blow up like a balloon. Separates the hide from the muscle. If you sell furs make sure you have a Nevada trappers licence (easy to get through NDOW).

merle

uber Member
Forum Supporter
I wonder if that trick will work for everything else. I carry an air compressor in the car for airing up/down tires...

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
coyote skinning

The other thing that you need to do if you are going to try to sell the hide and want to get a decent amount of money out of it, or even if you just want to keep it nice, how we always skinned them was to hang them by their hind legs. Cut a circle around their hind legs about 6 inches up, then make an incission in a straight line from the circles you cut down to their *******. Then you use your skinning knife and just pull and cut the skin away from the meat turning the pelt inside out as you go, when you get to the front legs, skin them down about 6 inches. (you can cut the front legs off if you want to make it easier to get the hyde off. Leave the hyde turned inside out and put it over a board to "stretch it out" and use a spoon to scrape the excess fat off of the back of the hide and let it dry while it "stretches" If you find a trapping supply book, you can find the boards that are specially designed for this, they are pointed at the end so you can put the nose over the tip and "tack" it in place, there is a split down the center of the board so you can stretch out the hyde and lock it in place with a wing nut. If you are keeping it you can "tan" the hyde and that is a whole other thread, but basically you do everything mentioned above and then after drying you soak the hyde in a tanning solution for a period of time. Once it is
tanned the back side of the hyde becomes more like a piece of leather....soft and maleable, if not tanned when they dry it becomes kind of brittle and stiff. Good luck to you!!!!:)

Here are a few pics of a stretcher I found on line, They sell them pretty cheap. I dont know how many hundred coyotes my brother and I skinned and prepped when I was a kid...my dad ran a trapline in the Blackhills in SouthDakota and we skinned a bunch! The fur buyer would come to town once a month, most of them we just skinned and removed the fat and dryed and sold them that way, that would have been in the 80's and they were selling for $30-$40 ea. then. I have no idea what they would sell for now. I know that durring the winter months when the pelts were thicker they paid more...during the summer we didn't even run the trapline. The other thing the fur buyer liked was the lighter the color the more desirable , the orange-ish ones were worth less. We kept a couple that were damn near albino...very light colored with just a little dark on their backs...those ones we tanned and my step dad still has them hanging on the wall of his log house in Montana...back then he was offered $120 ea for the pelts and turned them down just because they were such nice specimens!

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Yote pelt prices

I have not trapped or hunted coyotes for a long time (mid 80's with my stepdad) This is what I found on-line, again this is a range and it depends on the quality of the fur whether you will be on the high or low side of this. Winter time is the best time to get the quality furs in and area where the weather is cold and they have thicker fur and seems to be better money if they are lighter in color, it also decreases the value tremendously if they have a huge exit wound...thus the benefit of trapping as opposed to shooting with a large caliber rifle! In a trap you can put them down with a 22lr and there is virtually no damage to the pelt. Here is what I found on-line as far as current pricing:

"Coyote seemed to be the real winner at this auction, selling 100% at averages of $22-51. The western/heavy coyote pelts were the biggest surprise, averaging $51.21. Canadian demand is driving this market."

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Coyotes

I think you also have to get a fur bearers liscence from the fish and game in order to harvest yotes for sale of the pelts....they gotta get their piece of the pie!!!

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Coytoe recipe

I have a really good coyote recipe for you, The rear quarters can be bbq'd, I like to cut off some strips of meat from the rear quarters. Put them in tinfoil with 3 sticks of butter, 1 lb of diced celery, 1 lb of diced carrots, 3 whole cloves of garlic, add some lawrys seasoning salt, a healthy amount of salt and pepper. Slow cook them on the bbq for about 12 hours. Then you take the meat out and throw it in the dumpster and eat the tinfoil!!!:D

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I have a really good coyote recipe for you, The rear quarters can be bbq'd, I like to cut off some strips of meat from the rear quarters. Put them in tinfoil with 3 sticks of butter, 1 lb of diced celery, 1 lb of diced carrots, 3 whole cloves of garlic, add some lawrys seasoning salt, a healthy amount of salt and pepper. Slow cook them on the bbq for about 12 hours. Then you take the meat out and throw it in the dumpster and eat the tinfoil!!!:D
I so agree I don't think it's even worth the time to skin them.