Springfield Armory Saint Edge

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I’m contemplating the purchase of a Springfield Armory Saint Edge, I’ve never owned a AR-15, and never really wanted one, but the more politicians I hear saying I shouldn’t have one, the more I think I need at least one.

It would be used for target practice, varmint hunting, maybe 3-gun competition, and possibly a home defense weapon. I like the fact, that they have a reputation for being light and accurate. I’m currently a pistol competitor (USPSA) and 3-gun holds some interest for me.

So, My question is, in this price range ($1,1000), What else should I be looking at? and why?

Thanks for any advice!

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/saint-edge-ar15-5-56#ca-prop-65-content

A good varmint hunting gun/target gun and a good three-gun are two different things..triggers and all.
This one has a trigger more suited to three-gun and home defense. A really good two-stage is best for hunt/target.

I've managed to avoid a full blown biting by the AR bug, so I only own three. A long barrelled hunting 15, a defense carbine and a hunting 10.

Last edited:

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
yeah, I went ahead and bought the Saint Edge, and am very pleased with it! Nice single stage trigger, with a very short reset. Maybe not quite as light as I'd like, but very crisp. It shoots great, no issues of any kind, and so far 100% with my reloaded ammo.

AR rifles are incredibly versatile; there are so many options to customize available in the market. You mentioned the trigger; you can easily upgrade to varying styles and trigger pulls. I personally like Geissele (Hi-Speed National Match Trigger). There are several other comparable manufacturers of great triggers that are drop in ready to install in an AR lower receiver. The trigger would be one of the first things I would upgrade.