Starter Precision Rifle?

Snipersis27

Scopes

I've been with plenty of hunters spending so much $$$ on different scopes, especially when it comes to night yote hunts! I just cheat is the plain fact! I use a "night optic" thermal biocular 75mm objective! 336x288. Eliminates glossing with green or red lights! Once you have tried it, you will never go back!!!! Take it from an ex-sniper! Lol :gottatakeadump:
Forgot, mounted on a Browning x-bolt 223.

spinecracker

Obsessed Member
Just got back from Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno, they told me that they didn't expect to see any Remington 700 rifles until November at the earliest (damn that trigger recall!!!). Although that means I can't start on my "total beginner, can't shoot for shi...errr....toffee" long range rifle project as yet, it does mean that I can save up for some extra goodies for when the rifle is in stock. My plan so far:

Remington AAC-SD 20" .308
Bell and Carlson M40 stock (I was thinking of the B&C Medalist A5 or AI stocks, but they add quite a bit of extra weight, and I will be carrying this rifle up and down mountains)
Timney trigger
Nightforce 1-Piece 20 MOA base
Scope and rings to be decided, depending on amount of cash left over (~$700).

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Just got back from Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno, they told me that they didn't expect to see any Remington 700 rifles until November at the earliest (damn that trigger recall!!!). Although that means I can't start on my "total beginner, can't shoot for shi...errr....toffee" long range rifle project as yet, it does mean that I can save up for some extra goodies for when the rifle is in stock. My plan so far:

Remington AAC-SD 20" .308
Bell and Carlson M40 stock (I was thinking of the B&C Medalist A5 or AI stocks, but they add quite a bit of extra weight, and I will be carrying this rifle up and down mountains)
Timney trigger
Nightforce 1-Piece 20 MOA base
Scope and rings to be decided, depending on amount of cash left over (~$700).
I would encourage you to move the optics to the top of your list as it is the most important part of your long range precision rifle system. In saying that I'm not trying to say that you need to spend $1,000's but that you need a reasonable budget to get a quality scope with the right features. This thread not only gives some great information but also shows the opinions of many shooters on how important a quality scope is. The thread was started 3 1/2 year ago and since then many new and more cost effective options have come onto the market. Good luck with your build. It is a very addicting type of shooting.

spinecracker

Obsessed Member
Yes, I know the importance of the optics, and I have looked through this particular and the other thread more than once (looking at the other thread on optics right now, actually) :thumbup: It is the only part of the set up I haven't as yet decided upon, but I am researching here and other places so that I make the right choice first time. I will have a better idea of my budget when the rifle becomes available, so I will have a better idea if I need to make any changes to the plan. My plan is get the rifle first (obviously), then the scope, base and rings, then the rest of the gubbins. My budget is quite limited. I do currently have a Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x40mm, which served me very well on my Savage FLCP-K, but that is going on my DPMS 3G1 .308 at some point, along with buis and a quick release sope mount. The Bushnell is very good, but I want better, and I only have 1 kidney to sell.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Sounds very well thought out. As you've read here you've seen that many of us have waited till the end and used our leftover money to make scope decision and needed to upgrade quicker that we should have. The forum has been a great resource of information to help others not make some of the same mistakes we did a few years ago.

spinecracker

Obsessed Member
Too logical for my own good, sometimes. Leaning towards a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 at the moment (good enough glass for 1000 yards, good reviews, almost affordable if I throw in 2 kidneys and part of my spleen lol), but that could change any second.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Too logical for my own good, sometimes. Leaning towards a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 at the moment (good enough glass for 1000 yards, good reviews, almost affordable if I throw in 2 kidneys and part of my spleen lol), but that could change any second.

Good optics right there. A few of us have a PST 2.5-10x44 on our semi-auto rifles and we have been impressed. They seem to be very good quality especially when considering the price paid. We shot with another member here this morning who is using a PST 6-24x50 on his Precision Rifle and he also liked his.

Snipersis27

Scopes

Good optics right there. A few of us have a PST 2.5-10x44 on our semi-auto rifles and we have been impressed. They seem to be very good quality especially when considering the price paid. We shot with another member here this morning who is using a PST 6-24x50 on his Precision Rifle and he also liked his.
Don't know if u hunt? But I do a lot of predator hunts, especially at night! Till the elk at deer hunts come around. But the last scope I purchased was crazy expensive! On sale for $7999. At least I got free shipping but now using not night vision but a gen III heat F.L.I.R. System, I just can't go back! Latterly u see the heat signatures from 250yds away! But ur paying for it! Now I know why the wife didn't speak to me for a week! Lol oh well! I just say take ur time on buying the right scope for what your using it for!!!! :getsome:

spinecracker

Obsessed Member
Well, this kind of stuff happens when I do research - anyone have any experience with the Savage 10 Precision Carbine? The specs are similar to the Remington AAC-SC 308 (barrel length, rate of twist) and it is only slightly heavier. My Savage FLCP-K shot like a dream, and the accutrigger functioned flawlessly (why the hell did I sell it??? - oh, yes, too bloody heavy to lug up a mountain).

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Savage has discontinued some of the10 Series models like the FCP-SR and they are sold out almost everywhere. I've been shooting a 10PC in 223 for the past few years and it is a very solid platform. For whatever reason they have reduced the models in their line which is a shame because they had some great rifles.

Snipersis27

How's it going

I do shoot my 22-250 (rem 700 sps varmint) and im trying to be consistent at 500 yards but im not. Im reloading some rounds today and will try again tomorrow early am. Im not sure my scope is holding zero though, a couple times hunting yotes, I missed him while he was not moving by at about 2. Feet high and a foot to the right and he was at about 100 yards only..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Saw ur post, still hunting yotes? Pm me or e- mail me, always looking for new hunt buds! Just to let u know, I'm not looking for new spots, lol I think I've just about hit everywhere in and around the entire Las Vegas region! I'm not a novice! Lmao

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
This thread was started about 4 1/2 years ago in an attempt to answer a few questions I had while trying to get started in Long Distance Precision Rifle shooting. Now it has gone 100 pages and I know in talking to others that it has answered many questions for many members here.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

Quickdraw, this thread has been invaluable to me, and it helped me decide on a Savage Arms 10 Precision Carbine. Shot the rifle for the 2nd time today (yesterday was just starting and going through the break in procedure), and the rifle is now shooting consistent groups like below at 100 yards with SSA 168gr ammo (this group was 3 rounds and was 0.25", but I shot several other 3-round groups, and they were all just as tight). I was also picking off golf balls at 200 yards. This one is a keeper, and I can't wait to push it out to 1000 yards.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Quickdraw, this thread has been invaluable to me, and it helped me decide on a Savage Arms 10 Precision Carbine. Shot the rifle for the 2nd time today (yesterday was just starting and going through the break in procedure), and the rifle is now shooting consistent groups like below at 100 yards with SSA 168gr ammo (this group was 3 rounds and was 0.25", but I shot several other 3-round groups, and they were all just as tight). I was also picking off golf balls at 200 yards. This one is a keeper, and I can't wait to push it out to 1000 yards.
That looks great. The 10PC is a great rifle as are all of the Savage 10 Series rifles. It makes things very simple for someone new to the Precision Rifle discipline to get started. I have a 10PC in 223 that I picked up for a low cost practice rifle. It came out of the box shooting .33MOA groups.

loic1

Obsessed Member
Well, $$ are not here so I cant afford another rifle, so I went a played some more with my 22-250. Here with nosler bullets and varget at 300 meters (about 324 yards or something like this) my groups are getting tighter but still not where I want them to be...LoL

Then I just played with my 10" steel plate at 600 yards with the 22-250 and the ar. I may need a bigger target for thos distance...LoL

That looks about 1.5 inches at 328 yards? so.... about 0.5MOA Whats the problem? Your looking for 0.25MOA at 328 yards?

That looks pretty respectable to me.

Well, $$ are not here so I cant afford another rifle, so I went a played some more with my 22-250. Here with nosler bullets and varget at 300 meters (about 324 yards or something like this) my groups are getting tighter but still not where I want them to be...LoL

Then I just played with my 10" steel plate at 600 yards with the 22-250 and the ar. I may need a bigger target for thos distance...LoL

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
There is a certain variable when shooting for groups at longer distances. How steady you can hold, how precise the cross hairs on you rifle are along with the size of the point you are aiming at are all factors. If my dot at 100m is too big I could be inducing another 1/2moa into my groups by just not have a precise point of aim. There are many variables in shooting precise groups.

I have spent a couple days reading this, and still have no idea what i want to do. I have wanted to build a .308 700 into a precision system for a while. While my goal is only 500 yards, i want to build something that can hit 1000 yards without needing upgrades.

I know i am going to base everything off the 700 action, but those are out of stock every where while the recall is in effect, so i plan to start with glass as they are available now.

My dilemma is this. When reading the Sin City Precision site on building your first rifle, they said get the best glass you can afford. Specifically about not putting a $500 scope on a 2k riffle kind of thing.

The two scopes on my list are US Optics ER-25, or the Nightforce ATACR which is at New Frontier. There is just over a 1k difference in price and i wonder is it worth spending the extra grand? I don't plan on being crazy with competitions. Just not sure which is best.

I know i am going with a Jewell Trigger, but not 100% on the chassis. Figure i will cross that bridge when i actually have a rifle in hand.

Any insight would be great.

The two scopes on my list are US Optics ER-25, or the Nightforce ATACR which is at New Frontier. There is just over a 1k difference in price and i wonder is it worth spending the extra grand? I don't plan on being crazy with competitions. Just not sure which is best.

Both are great scopes
The USO is a Ffp and the nf is a sfp scope, that's where most of the price difference is.

Ffp means the reticle is true at any magnification.
Sfp the reticle sub tensions change through the magnification range.

There's pros and cons to both styles, you'll have to look at a few and see which one you prefer.