Starter Precision Rifle?

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Most of this has already been discussed in this thread at length but this puts some good information in a quick video.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Over the past 6 years since this thread was started there has been much more participation and commitment by the manufactures into the precision rifle world. 9 months ago Ruger entered the arena in a big way with their precision rifle. Their 1st entry has and will continue to be a game changer. Whenever they get their next round of production up and running it is well worth the effort to check one out.

Almost everything in one package at a great price.

I am going to bring this thread back a little since i feel it falls into the starter rifle thread.

I just built my RPR, and now i have no idea where to go from here. I have never show "precision" before just iron sights mostly. just ordered a 6.5 bore laser so i can do a quick scope adjustment, but in all honestly i wish i had someone that i could sit down with and they could help me step by step. Basically how to take the rifle as it sits, then sight it in for 100 yards.

One of the issues i am running into is that i have to learn to shot this rifle left handed because my right eye can't see the reticle due to having an uneven cornea, but my left eye sees it just fine. Its a crazy thing that i can see everything clear with both eyes open, but once i close my left eye everything goes blurry. And so far the only option i have is surgery where they shave the cornea smooth, but insurance doesn't want to cover that.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I am going to bring this thread back a little since i feel it falls into the starter rifle thread.

I just built my RPR, and now i have no idea where to go from here. I have never show "precision" before just iron sights mostly. just ordered a 6.5 bore laser so i can do a quick scope adjustment, but in all honestly i wish i had someone that i could sit down with and they could help me step by step. Basically how to take the rifle as it sits, then sight it in for 100 yards.

One of the issues i am running into is that i have to learn to shot this rifle left handed because my right eye can't see the reticle due to having an uneven cornea, but my left eye sees it just fine. Its a crazy thing that i can see everything clear with both eyes open, but once i close my left eye everything goes blurry. And so far the only option i have is surgery where they shave the cornea smooth, but insurance doesn't want to cover that.
Well we have a lot in common. I'm a left hander shooting a right hand RPR. You are going to love your rifle. What scope are you going to use. Getting it mounted and zero'd is fairly easy. Is your scope already mounted?

Precision rifle is very fun and addicted. It can get a little pricey though between the cost of equipment and ammo. This thread has a bunch of good information that is well worth reading. Some of the information about hardware though is a bit outdated. In the past few years the manufacturers have stepped up in a big way supporting this type of shooting.

Well we have a lot in common. I'm a left hander shooting a right hand RPR. You are going to love your rifle. What scope are you going to use. Getting it mounted and zero'd is fairly easy. Is your scope already mounted?

Precision rifle is very fun and addicted. It can get a little pricey though between the cost of equipment and ammo. This thread has a bunch of good information that is well worth reading. Some of the information about hardware though is a bit outdated. In the past few years the manufacturers have stepped up in a big way supporting this type of shooting.

Rifle is ready to go. I just need to get it lined out and shooting.

I'm in the south so I never venture up near apex. I go south. You can get past 1000 out there. I think Boulder City and desert sportsman are the two choices for member ranges. I think Boulder City has farther targets but the all knowing will chime in soon.

I'll let you know the next time we're rolling out if you need help getting on paper or need some pointers.

I'm in the south so I never venture up near apex. I go south. You can get past 1000 out there. I think Boulder City and desert sportsman are the two choices for member ranges. I think Boulder City has farther targets but the all knowing will chime in soon.

I'll let you know the next time we're rolling out if you need help getting on paper or need some pointers.
A wise man once told me, knowing you know nothing is the first step to learning. When it comes to Long Range, precision shooting. I know nothing. I think i built a nice fire, but i do not know.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I could give a comparison between Boulder and Desert Sportsman's but it wouldn't matter as Boulder is not accepting new members. Desert Sportsman's is evaluating cutting off new member applications as well. Desert Sportsman's has more available shooting positions and is in the process of bringing more online but there will still come a time where only so many members can be accommodated.

Range 9 at DSRPC has AR steel targets of know sizes (1, 2, 3 and 4moa) at 9 distances along with stands for paper at 6 of those distances. Shooting paper is an important resource in developing and evaluating precision long range skills. DSRPC also has the longest distance.

In addition Range 3 goes out to 400y with steel, Range 5 goes to 200y, Range 6 goes to 400y and Range 8 is setup for F Class Matches out to 600y.

All of that said BRPC is a fine range. I was a member there last year. The members and staff are very friendly and professional. I hope DSRPC can head the same direction with courtesy and attitudes. The members at Boulder take pride in their facilities, rightfully so.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have purchased a savage 10 fcp for $450 and the MDT LSS chassis for another $400. Savage claims their rifles will shoot moa and MDT claims they. An tighten them up further. In any case for less than $1K I'm willing to take a chance on the rifle to see what it can do.

Bergara BMP 6.5

Anyone considering a starter riffle should consider the Bergara BMP 6.5. Took advantaged if the 25% rebate from Bushnell to top it with a Bushnell DMRII. There are a lot of options out there this year, other than the RPR. I couldn't pass it up with the great deal I got it for (less than a RPR). It's a good time to start PRS, so jumping in with both feet. I like that it's based on a 700 footprint, and the chassis is awesome! It also shoots as good as it looks. :scsniper3: