Starter Precision Rifle?

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Precision rifle is about to take a new twist, 22lr Precision Rifle. This is like time warping back 10years and starting over for me...well almost. With a new match coming to town, NRL22 and a new match at DSRPC I find myself trying to gather an education on the subject.

Coming from a 10 year history of using my own handholds where I control the entire loading process, going to bulk processed 22lr ammo is scary at best. Most of what I've seen in Precision/Target rifle design for 22's seems to be wrapped around much tighter tolerances. This seems to be an attempt level out the inconsistencies within the ammo.

Here is what I currently use for my 22lr. It's a Savage FV Mark II in a Boyds stock. I have an Athlon Talos BTR 4x14x44 on it. The CZ455 will probably be the preferred 22lr along with the custom Ruger 10/22.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
QD...if you want a bolt gun id suggest a CZ455...

if you want a semi auto id suggest you spend the money and buy a Kidd...

this is at 50yds with my Kidd supper grade....

the Kidd will shoot SK pistol under an 1" at 100yds. i have 3 barrels for my CZ455 and all three will shoot under an 1" at 100yds.

personally i love my Kidd but i prefer my CZ455...only because its a great trainer rifle and more closely mimics my surgeon...i like the CZ so much i bought a GEN2 PST for it...i shoot it pretty regularly out to 300yds.

be careful the 22s are like crack LOL!!

6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle

I really like my gen. 1 RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I put a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 scope on it with a Horus H59 reticle.

With factory Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M ammo I can get 1/2 MOA fairly regularly and never bigger than 3/4 MOA.

Yeah, there are a lot of other good competition rifles out there like the Savage Ashbury but I feel the RPR gives at elast equal accuracy and more for the money than any of the similar or higher priced options.

Eric B.

This is my set up, a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor, topped with a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 FFP scope with the EBR02C reticle. With scope base, scope rings, Vortex bubble level and scope caps put about $2000 into this rifle. Have not as yet done any reloading, but with Hornady 140gr match ELDs get 1/2 MOA repeatedly out to 300 yards (have yet to push it further - photo shows 4-round group at 100 yards as an example). Edit - this one might be on the chopping block - medical bills and trying to build a business - not a good mix lol.

Attachments

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
My metal AI and Accurate mags are getting a little beat up and not running correctly. At todays match I decided to take the factory mags that came with my RPR out and use them. That was not a good decision. I had multiple failures to feed or similar events. I came home and worked on my old metal mags and hopefully got those back into operating condition again. I also ordered a few of the new Ruger branded AI-style polymer mags. I've heard good things about them from a few people.

I have a GA Precision Crusader in .308 with muzzle brake and a Vortex Razor HD EBR-2C scope with an Atlas bipod on it. I have 4 10 round magazines for it since I bought while I was still living in CA. It has been a safe queen for several years. It is a heavy rifle and almost feels like carrying an M60 and not my weapon of choice to take to the range. Should it remain a safe queen or should I consider selling it? I am not getting any younger.

I also Spartan Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor almost outfitted the same but a Vortex Razor HD EBR-2C Gen II which my weapon of choice. As you know it is a real flat shooter and not affected by the wind so much.

I am in Carson City and want to know if there is any other range longer than the Carson City range.

Last edited:
I bought a Gen 1 Ruger Precision Rifle and would make the same purchase today if I wanted a GOOD, ACCURATE entry precision rifle that won't require a 2nd mortgage. My present scope is a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 W/ H59 reticle. I'd get a Bushnell XRS II andH59 reticle if I were doing it again.

But when I hit the lottery I'll get a Barrett MRAD with 6.5 CM and .338 LM. barrels, bolt heads and magazines. That rifle is one of the very best long range bolt guns on the planet.

Eric B.

BBC-M

Gun freak # 102,000,000,1
Commercial Sponsor
My latest build Total budget build but its a tac driver. Going to do some Cerakote soon. Ruger America Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor, Magpul stock, VG6 epsilon brake, Athlon Helos 6-24X50
Photo_1551473244309.jpg

BBC-M,
I had a 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator. I put a Timmy trigger on it and later a Boyd's Classic laminated stock. (It's pictured to the left as my avatar) Got 1/2 MOA regularly with Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M ammo.

THEN... while hunting I lost two cartridges from the chamber in two days. GUESS WHAT? The d@mn bolt would not lock!
So I sold it and then sold the Boyd's stock separately. Sad to let such an accurate rifle go but I could not abide having no bolt lock.

Next I bought a 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro with bronze Cerakote on everything, stainless barreled action, fluted and lapped barrel, fluted bolt and bolt handle and carbon fiber stock. This rifle also shoots 140 gr. ELD-Ms into 1/2 MOA. But for the price it had better do so!
Yeah, it was kinda spendy but it is a beautiful rifle. Still have my SWFA SS 3 - 15 x 42 scope on it that you see in my avatar photo (mil/mil) but may get a MARCH 3 - 24 x 42 scope for it. (That MARCH scope is $300. more than the rifle but that's usually the case of rifle-to-scope cost ratio.)

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I am a total long range shooting noob so take my post with a grain of salt, but I settled on the following after much research:
Ruger Precision Rifle and Bergara B-14 BMP, both in ... .308 win :eek: . About $1.1K each.

Will be putting a Vortex Viper PST Gen II FFP 5-25x50 (~$1K) on the Bergara and start practicing with it. If I get into it more, I might buy another scope. Again, I have zero experience other than reading a lot of forums online, so do your own research.

6.5 CM is objectively better, but in a SHTF scenario, and for practice, .308 is cheaper and more widely available, and that mattered more to me.

If price is a concern, I read good things about the Savages. Vortex is a decent scope manufacturer and they have cheaper models too. If your budget is $1K, you could probably get away with a $500 rifle and $500 scope, and see if you like it.