Stolen Para Ord 1911 - Summerlin Hospital

ricklaut

Quiet noob
Forum Supporter
My son's 5.5" Para Ordinance .45 cal 1911, SN# G114563 was stolen from a vehicle at Summerlin hospital this afternoon (1-1-2018). He's reporting it to LVMPD. Also taken was a new Chromebook (don't know the SN#) and other personal effects.

PM me here with any info and I'll forward to him.

AngryRed

Dumb Founded
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
My son's 5.5" Para Ordinance .45 cal 1911, SN# G114563 was stolen from a vehicle at Summerlin hospital this afternoon (1-1-2018). He's reporting it to LVMPD. Also taken was a new Chromebook (don't know the SN#) and other personal effects.

PM me here with any info and I'll forward to him.
I think your son knows my daughter, her gun was stolen today too. Seems to be a popular thing already in 2018...

ricklaut

Quiet noob
Forum Supporter
Good development with this 1 year+ old story... my son got a call from the Clark County DA's Office today. His gun was found in the possession of someone Metro was having a chat with and the guy was arrested. It's unclear when the arrest occurred. There was a preliminary hearing scheduled for Monday, but the suspect agreed to plead guilty (...possibly because the victim was ready / willing to testify if needed?). Once the plea is inked, the ADA said he'd provide the release so the gun can be returned.

Obviously there are additional details that we'd like to learn (i.e. why he was notified when the gun was first recovered, etc) but we're both happy that this is headed the right direction.

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
Good development with this 1 year+ old story... my son got a call from the Clark County DA's Office today. His gun was found in the possession of someone Metro was having a chat with and the guy was arrested. It's unclear when the arrest occurred. There was a preliminary hearing scheduled for Monday, but the suspect agreed to plead guilty (...possibly because the victim was ready / willing to testify if needed?). Once the plea is inked, the ADA said he'd provide the release so the gun can be returned.

Obviously there are additional details that we'd like to learn (i.e. why he was notified when the gun was first recovered, etc) but we're both happy that this is headed the right direction.
When he gets it back replace the barrel, extractor, ejector and, firing pin immediately.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
When he gets it back replace the barrel, extractor, ejector and, firing pin immediately.
And destroy the old ones.
Hammer for the firing pin, extractor and ejector, cutting torch or plasma cutter for the barrel.
And I would take a carbide scribe and put a few light scratches in the breech face as well.

And while it's disassembled, soak the entire frame and slide is a good grease dissolving solvent.

And destroy the old ones.
Hammer for the firing pin, extractor and ejector, cutting torch or plasma cutter for the barrel.
And I would take a carbide scribe and put a few light scratches in the breech face as well.

And while it's disassembled, soak the entire frame and slide is a good grease dissolving solvent.
I’ll bite. Having read what you guys write, and your knowledge, why destroy these parts?

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
In case the gun was used in a crime where the bullet was recovered...forensic evidence.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-can-a-bullet-be-trace/
EXACTLY! ^^^^^

While the real owner is innocent, if he or she were to be involved with a legitimate, determined to be "GOOD" shoot after the return of the gun, and ballistics on it were run (and they would be), it might return a hit on another crime, and in the words of Ricky Ricardo "You gotz some 'splainin to do, Lutecy!"...…...
During my career with Uncle Sugar, I only heard of this happening three times that I remember, but ONCE is too much for the honest citizen who owns a gun which was stolen, used in a crime(s) and then later returned to him. Why take a chance?
The firing pin, extractor, ejector, barrel (chamber) and breach face all leave unique identifying marks on the case, since the legitimate owner is doing nothing illegal in swapping out those parts, it makes sense to do so, and destroying them prevents them from being installed at a later date in another similar firearm (say, after the legitimate owners death, family sells off the estate, some poor snook buys those parts and installs them...…….) and some other innocent person being fingered for a crime they didn't commit.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
A grinder with a cutting wheel would take care of the barrel as well. But the torches are moar funnar.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Yup, Dremel®tool, angle grinder, bench grinder, but that plasma cutter or oxy-acetylene cutter IS so much fun!