"Tactical" Precision tricks, techniques, discussion

ScottyS

Now we try factory ammo
Forum Supporter
I went the cheap Krylon route but its been holding up fine. Sonic Sammy is doing Duracoat if your looking for something tougher.

They Krylon doesn't hold up to solvents when your cleaning your gun.
Mine is Krylon, I figure that since I don't want it to be permanent anyway it will work out fine. As far as solvents go, I use CLP to wipe down the bolt, clean rags on dusty surfaces, Hoppe's #9 first for powder fouling and Sweet's 7.62 for copper. Every 200-300rds, no brush, just patches, cleans up in about 5 passes of #9, 5 passes of 7.62. No solvent ever touches the paint, I use a bore guide (even if it did, no big deal).

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
Bore guide is a must, I noticed last time I cleaned the bore Montana Xtreme took the paint right off the end of the muzzle brake. I could care less, its a shooter not an art piece.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Here is a contrabution that most people know about. It as been in all kinds of magazines when they touch on the subject of precision rifles. Before you go to Bass Pro and buy a $35-$40 benchrest style rear bag filled with heavy sand try using a few cups of rice in a Crown Royal bag (I have plenty of extra's) I support the rear of the rifle with the bag and apply and relieve pressure from my off hand to adjust elevation.

Another good tip is to use a $8-$10 freight blanket as your shooting mat. I use them both out in the desert for long range/ultra long range shooting and in LVShooter's Tactical Precision Matches. They work great and roll up easy so I can attach it to my drag bag.

Freight blanket? :confused1: Yeah, freight blanket. :rolleyes5:

Joe if you have any extra CR bags, can I get one from you? I like the square shape better than the one's I made.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
I have one with your name on it! I'll put it in my drag bag so I forsure have it.
Thank you sir. I probably won't be out shooting long range for a few weeks. I'm breaking down my rifle next week to send to Matt B. And I'm back at square 1 for rings due to a backorder. That's OK though I'll be at Frontsight the first 2 weekends of April. By then we will only have a few weeks left before we are into the 90's.

ziebart

Please PM me if linking to other boards is a problem I will remove the posts. Otherwise here are some good links if you are thinking about painting your rifle.

Pinestraw camo Probably not the best for here, but in grassy areas it looks real good.

Woodland cammo Once again not the best but edit the colors and it should be fine.

Multicam All the PJ's at work wear it so it has to be good right?

Taping off the scope is important don't skip things.

How to remove duracoat I am sure it will work for Krylon as well. Not everyone will like your cammo job and that could be an issue when trying to sell it.

I personally like plain spray paint as it should be easier to remove, and when seasons change or you move it is easier to spray on a new layer. Also I like painting my stuff it is kinda fun. So when it gets scratched up I can try something new.

Last edited by a moderator:

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
^

You should shoot the tactical precision match this coming Saturday morning at Desert Sportsman. Match starts at 8 am you want to bring 60 rounds, rifle, and a shooting mat

You'll want to bring your 100 meter to 500 meter dope.

Last edited:

ziebart

JFcomfort

I may end up trying it if I can get some time in this week to verify my loads. I still won't have dope other than what JBM calc tells me.

Swan

You should shoot the tactical precision match this coming Saturday morning at Desert Sportsman. Match starts at 8 am you want to bring 60 rounds, rifle, and a shooting mat

You'll want to bring your 100 meter to 500 meter dope.
... and maybe your 14yd dope.

ScottyS

Now we try factory ammo
Forum Supporter
Please PM me if linking to other boards is a problem I will remove the posts. Otherwise here are some good links if you are thinking about painting your rifle.
No worries, I am just refraining from linking individually to other pages, unless there is something that really stands out for you. A lot of the basics are covered in many websites, but everyone (including me) have their own spin on things. For instance, I can recall that back when Zak was putting that stuff together, there were some things that I didn't quite agree with. Not to say that he doesn't have a lot of great info, just that we are sort of "personalizing" this with our own experiences. I linked the painting discussion up, as I think that you summarized it nicely.

Swan

I think Kurt had a 14 yard stage to catch guys off guard.
Ya 14yd prone shoot on paper hostage targets. Ran the dope in Ballistic FTE and it was only .125" high. Pretty fun... other than a ****load of high power rifles blasting into a berm only 25ft in front of you.

Swan

My humble contribution to the thread:

Not that this is anything new/great/earth shattering but here is a good cheap way to easily access your dope card and will only cost you a few pennies and a couple minutes of your time. I prefer it because you can look at dope without losing your cheekweld.

Materials:
- Small printed dope card (JBM,Excel,etc.)
- Clear Packing Tape or Scotch tape if thats all you have
- One sturdy lil' rubber band
- Means to punch a hole in card for attachment purposes

1) Print card off to preferred size (font 8-9)
2) use packing tape and layer it 3-4 times for some rigidity, trim if needed
3) punch hole in it for rubber band attachment
4) wrap around scope

You will be the envy of all your shootin buddies

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
For you guys interested in participating in precision shooting competitions, Kurt Stone (www.lvsteeltargets.com) is putting on his monthly match at Desert Sportsman Rifle and Pistol club (Range #3). The match starts at 8am and usually runs until about 1pm. Bring a shooting mat, 60 rounds and $20. This is a tactical precision match and stages are shot under time limits. Ranges are from 15 meter-500 meters

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
Pictures from Kurt's match today. As usual it was a lot of fun I had a great time and enjoy hanging with good people! Thank you Kurt for putting on these matches!

I did well today, anything from the prone supported position I was on. I had good ammo, solid dope and made good wind calls. I REALLY need to work on my standing and seated shooting that is by far my weak point and I missed out on a lot of points!

ziebart

I moved my bipod to the second stud so that I had a spot in front to rest on the baracade. Also push the gun into it like you where loading the bipod, and move it so that it has 2 points of contact if possible. Relax and have fun.

Honestly though I think I just got lucky on that stage. If I find anything from a credible source I will post it up. Though it seems like everything I am finding is for pistols or close range AR15's

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
^

You rocked that stage right out of the gates! Wait until you get to shoot the moving target! Its a lot of fun!!

I've been using chairs to replicate the unstable barracade and have been trying to figure out things that work for me. Sonic Sammy gave me a sling to use and I think that will help my seated shooting a lot.