"Tactical" Precision tricks, techniques, discussion

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
How did this happen? I didn't even know that there was any "competative" non-pro hockey in town.
My cousin has been playing for the various levels of the Las Vegas Outlaws since he was 6 (Pee Wee, Mosquito, Midget, whatever they call the various levels of junior hockey now days) and has been scouted by the NHL since he was 12.

He will be 17 in September, just signed with the Corpus Christi (TX) Ice Rays to play there for a year while he finishes his last semester of high school and then goes on to college on their dime.

He has always played on leagues that had kids 2-4 years older than he was, because like most of my family he's big for his age, and his skill level is way up there.
At 12 he was ranked 35th in the nation amongst 16 year olds, at 13 he was 7th amongst 17 year olds, and he's been #5 or better amongst the 18 year old and up players since he was 14.

Fortunately he's smart enough to realize that one bad injury could end his career before it starts, so he's continuing to keep his grades up and go on to college to get that Mechanical Engineering degree as a back up.

Littlebitoff

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Sorry to go off subject OP. Who woulda thunk we would have such good (great) young hockey players in the desert. In Michigan a lot of the really good young players end up in Canada to play against better competition. I have a cousin that lived up there during hockey season between the ages of 13 and 17. He got epilepsy and can't play any more due to the meds he has to take.

ScottyS

Now we try factory ammo
Forum Supporter
And all that works just fine until it doesn't. Batteries, environment, etc. can wreak havoc with advanced systems.

Analog doesn't fail. So it's nice to have as a back up to the high tech.
This is why if/when I get time to host an "annual" tac match in Reno there WILL be multiple stages where detection, passive reticle ranging, and engagement beyond 500yds occur.

Vegas50

1 Mile Shot Club
Don't you know it! It almost happened this June, but those of us who would be doing the leg work just got too busy with work schedules....
I think could hold my own in a analog ranging match, or at least not embarrass myself.

I had no idea how much work went in to a match/competition until hosting one.

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
I think could hold my own in a analog ranging match, or at least not embarrass myself.

I had no idea how much work went in to a match/competition until hosting one.
I second that! They are a lot more fun to shoot than they are to put on. We lucky to have Kurt for the match he puts on. After the match Vegas50 put on I make sure to help set up and tear down Kurt's match.

highplainsdrifter

Other field expedient rear bag

Don't forget the use of a GI type sock with rice or beans as a rear bag. It's light, cheap and if necessary, you can boil it up later and eat the contents!

Idryfirewithamirror

I'm looking for a drag bag that will hold two rifles-50" long
without stuffing them in there. Any ideas?
Also any rec's for match grade trigger for AR ?

ziebart

The midway bag is ok but with my 28" barrel it is a bit tight even when the other gun is a short AR or a shotgun. The other thing is it does not seem like the muzzle is very well protected. I would feel much more comfortable if I had a muzzle break on it.

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
Old thread but great info! For the matches how many mags do you need, or how many rounds per stage so I know how many I need. Once I get some more time behind the trigger id love to compete for fun

rpd83lv

Curmudgeon In-Training
Forum Supporter
Pistol Drawstroke Inhibitor

I'm currently sporting a bandaid on my strong side thumb. I carry IWB 4:00. When I unholstered this evening before bed, I noticed I didn't feel like my thumb was sliding past the backstrap just right on its way to establishing a master grip. I was a little off, but of course I could fix it and draw cleanly because I had all the time in the world, standing In my closet. But I question how well I would have adjusted to this little dexterity/sensory variable under stress.

Moral of the story: Get some practice draws in with any modification to sensory or dexterity capability on your Go hand, even if it's something seemingly harmless as a temporary bandage.