• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

The Basics of Marksmanship

requiem

Ain't nobody got time for that!
Staff member
Administrator
Getting hits on a target is easy to do once you know how to do it. Like any other control and dexterity dependent skill, there is a proven and correct way to shoot a pistol. I am not talking about Bullseye Shooting, although some of the skill involved in that discipline also corresponds to tactical shooting. We are primarily interested in self-defense shooting. This means that we want the ability to place solid hits on an adversary from a condition of unreadiness under urgent time limits. By learning to use the pistol in precision shooting, you will develop the hand-eye coordination necessary for those times when you do not have time to deploy it so carefully and must instaed react quickly to an attack.

Before you can expect to hit anything, there are some "hardware" issues that must be seen to. The ammunition must be capable of an acceptable level of accuracy. This is not as much of a concern when using quality defensive ammunition, but it may is using more economical "training ammunition". Primarily, you must make certain that the pistol is zeroed correctly. This simply means that the sights must be arranged in a way that they will coincide (visually) with the physical impact of the bullet strike on target. There are hundreds of different types of sights, and to explain how to zero every particular weapon would take a volume. For zeroing procedures, please refer to your weapon

Roger Phillips

Fight Focused Concepts
Gabe is an outstanding instructor and a good friend of mine. His new "Combative Pistol Marksmanship" DVD is very good as far as the fundamentals go.

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Forum Supporter
This is a great article.

My neighbor shared with me a good way to teach someone the Surprise Break concept. Let them shoot a mag, then "reload it for them" with an empty mag. When they pull the trigger, they will see a huge flinch reaction for nothing and learn a valuable lesson.

NewFrontier

Vegas' Favorite Gun Store
This is a great article.

My neighbor shared with me a good way to teach someone the Surprise Break concept. Let them shoot a mag, then "reload it for them" with an empty mag. When they pull the trigger, they will see a huge flinch reaction for nothing and learn a valuable lesson.
I've done the same thing, but mixed in dummy rounds or snap caps in the magazine (random) to prove the same point. That will also teach them to perform their immediate actions to get the weapos firing again.

Kiddo

This Shooter's a Southpaw
Great article. I never get tired of reading on this subject, no matter how many times "i've heard it". Thank you!

SOTSDoc

Great article....but remember boys, nothing teaches you better than time on your weapon at the range.