• Become a Nevada Shooters Forum Supporter!
    Click HERE for details!

The future of Nye County?

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
I get the feeling that Nye County is going to grow, add more homes and improve infrastructure. Please fill me in. Thank you
At least here in Pahrump . . .

No word on the infrastructure.

It's been growing a little lately, but I have a nagging feeling that it's a lot of section 8 people. Some friends here agree.

New home construction is down since there is a moratorium on new wells.

Last edited:

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Serious question- Does the city have piped water and sewer service or all of the homes on well and septic?
Mostly well and septic.

A private company, Utilities Inc., supplies a portion of the town with piped water.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Pahrump is, and always has been, unicorporated.
We did have a town board, locally referred to as the town clowns, but a few years back we voted to do away with the board, who reported to the county manager, and now the country manager and county board of commissioners handle the running of all of the county.

I knew the town was unincorporated, but advised that "the county is going to take over and mange the town now", so I guess thats been done already.

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Thanks for fixing that for me Top!

There is a web site that lists all the towns in Nevada and whether or not they are incorporated, and I just took a look at it and called the former county manager who is a friend, because it shows ALL towns in Nye County as being incorporated.

Turns out there are NO incorportated towns in Nye County what so ever, that web site has it completely backwards.

The county has been managing the town since the town board was dissolved in November of 2012, and in effect the county was managing it before that, as the board wasn't all powerful, and had to run most major issues and decisions past the county manager and commissioners anyway.

A series of private land speculations, about future growth of Pahrump, occurred in the 1980s and 1990s; a lot of overvalued parcels were sold. Many are still being held in hopes of that ever elusive future payout. To minimize property taxes, many have avoided any improvements such as wells, septic systems and fencing. Recent issue with the state water engineer have resulted in serious problems with getting approval for a private well; until recently required the purchase of two acre water feet (adding thousands of dollars) to the development of a private lot. Law suits are under way and the issue is in flux for the time being. To make a long story short, Pahrump is just far enough away from Las Vegas to make a daily commute for work a real pain in the *ss. Many, to include myself, moved to the Pahrump area well aware of the situation and are reluctant to try and change it to a suburb of greater Las Vegas. We did not move here to import outside values and growth. I have noticed every year a sizable seasonal winter population increase. If one wants to invest in real-estate for short-term gains, there are many better places to go.

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Saw her a couple of weeks ago, she's put on some weight, just enough that she looked almost healthy, still a bit pale, but at least she wasn't gaunt like I've seen her in years prior. Face and body were filled out nicely, but very, very pale still.
But Top is right, she's been ridden hard and put away wet in a sour barn waaaaay too many times.

And GW, I'm leaving it all to Diane Feinstein!

Are there any new housing tracks or developments pending or coming to the county? I’m asking these questions because I think Nye County could be the next big place or boom in Nevada or in the nation.