The laughable quality of modern smith and Wesson

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
I made a huge mistake in ordering a new 627 performance center...Thats how I feel right now. My dream revolver purchase was a mistake.

I scanned it at the gun shop when it arrived, checked for a canted barrel, looked everything over, and took possession. Got home, and then i noticed the following on my brand new, un touched 627 Performance Center, which is about a $1000 revolver.

1. Front sight canted. Barrel doesnt seem canted, just the sight, note that barrel and sight are misaligned, not barrel and frame. its CLEARLY adjusted to the left (from the factory) to make up for the rightward lean.

2. Grips fit like poo. This is the gap along the front of the nice fancy hand fit hand assembled handgun.

if i loosen the screw and squeeze the front together, heres the back.

they are nowhere even CLOSE to fitting the frame in the back.

3. the hammer is rough as hell, the edges are SHARP and if i cocked it in a hurry i guarantee the burr on the back would draw blood. looks like it was chromed and then never touched up, lots of "extra" material along the sides and rear, flashing is what i want to call it but not sure if thats the right term. its along both sides of the hammer.

4. minor imperfections in frame. these are finished over, so i assume they are from forging or casting or however the gun is made. not sure if its an issue, but i'd need to be reassured it doesnt represent any structural issues. note the L shaped imperfection and forward of that it looks like the frame was improperly milled.

5. here's the mother of them all. THE CROWN. look at that. Looks to me like the rifling was cut after the "counter bored" crown was forged or milled or cut or what. The lands in the rifling extend out past the crown, it was never touched up, theres a ridge around the whole crown, its rough and sharp.

Admittedly this was all my fault because i accepted the gun from my dealer, but seriously?!! what the hell! Am i being too picky here, am I being crazy? Are these all acceptable from a performance center $1000 hand gun? Neither my 66 no dash nor my 3" 65 have anything even close to this amount of rough finishing.

I guess they really dont make them like they used to. I'm super upset, i'm soured on what should be my dream revolver. I have an email int to smith but have a mind to call them in the AM. I'm going to have to send my brand new unfired $1000 performance center gun back to the factory to have it finished how it should have been from day one....

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
I'm sure they will make it right but how this abomination escaped the factory is beyond me. And how I didn't notice is even worse.

But you know how it is at the dealer, I had somewhere to be, barrel looked straight no major blemishes I saw. I noticed the hammer at the dealer, that was it.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Yup I have a number of older ones as well and the quality doesn't even compare.

Unfortunately they didn't make an 8 shooter .357 30 years ago :-/

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
Damn. Totally unacceptable. Good number of companies have crap for QC today. One of the reasons I buy older used firearms, tried and true has always worked for me.

Paulie

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Damn. Totally unacceptable. Good number of companies have crap for QC today. One of the reasons I buy older used firearms, tried and true has always worked for me.

Paulie
Definitely learned that lesson. Kind of the same idea as a used car...

I should have bought a glock 20 if I could have stomached the idea. 15 rounds of .357 equivalent in a mag fed polymer wonder gun for half the price. I just can't do it though and I shoot very well with revolvers.

I just hope it comes back and I can get over this initial hiccup.

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
If I was a higher up at S&W you would be getting more than just your revolver back. **** like that makes it way to a dealer & then a customer I would be pretty pissed off.

Paulie

berserker19

recovering chocoholic
Of the few S&W handguns I have owned I have had to send 2 of them in for work for problems out of the box. One had a improperly installed front sight that was canted similarly to yours.
The one thing I can say about them is they will give you a shipping label and fix their mistakes fairly quickly for no cost (and I hope you have the same experience).
It surprises me that a company can maintain a profit with so much warranty work for basic problems that could've been caught in QC... especially since fedex labels are not cheap.

SeegarSmoker

Prefers Wheelguns
Yeah, I'd be upset with that one too. If that's what is coming out of the Performance Center these days, I wonder what their standard products are looking like. The last new S&W I bought was five years ago and it was problem free. Maybe it's the luck of the draw, or maybe they really have gone into a tailspin today. All I can say is if I were running the company, I'd be replacing some people and adjusting some priorities.

I have a Lew Horton Performance Center 686 produced in '98 that is nothing short of amazing. It's a shame that S&W has let their manufacturing process degrade so far and is ruining the reputation of the Performance Center. They turned out some great guns in the past.

The good news is they have always stood by their product and as far as I know still do. While it's a real pain and uncalled for, you most likely will receive it back in far different condition. At least I hope so. :cool:

mbogo

Bwana Mkubwa
Forum Supporter
The sight and grips are easy fixes.

If those are just dings in the frame , they can TIG weld them. If they're casting voids....

mbogo

MrTuna

Former Moderator
It's an epidemic in firearms right now. They can't get enough skilled workers for the factories and QC is crap. I am hesitant to buy any handguns over $1K. They are just not worth it quality wise unless you're going for a higher end 1911. Still some quality coming out of Europe for steel guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Spark Notes:

Bought a brand new 627 PC. checked timing and lock up and barrel cant at shop, took it home. Realised hammer was sharp, grips fit like poo, machining marks in frame, crown was awful. Sent it back to S&W within 24 hours of purchase. 4 weeks later, got it back.

Soooooooo. I got it back. The moment of truth:
Untitled by Andrew M, on Flickr

Okay. Grips are about 95% better.

They fixed the divots and machining marks in the frame.

They definitely fixed the crown. Its clearly chamfered and the rifling no longer protrudes past the crown as a lip.

Thats where the "good" ends.

They say they "fixed the barrel cant" but to me, the front sight STILL appears to be leaning right. This is a super minor qualm, but still, i can see it with the naked eye. If it shoots straight, whatever, its fine, I dont care, but SOMETHING still isn't aligned here.

They didnt so much as TOUCH the hammer. Its still literally razor sharp. I'll go at it with a file and suck up the fact that im going to have to remove some of the chroming on the MIM hammer. Oh well.

Here's one that scares me. The barrel is HEAVILY leaded for only having a few shots fired to test it. its hard to see in the pic, but the first inch of the barrel is leaded, that thing protruding into the bore is a sliver of the lead hanging out. I didn't even do that, that's just the way it came back to me. This does not bode well for me if i intend to shoot my cast reloads through it, or even factory cast loads. I'm HOPING that this is just based on the ammo they used, not indicative of how any cast loads would fire.

So. My overall impressions are "meh". This is pretty disappointing. I'll admit, given the fact that I got a POS from the factory, it probably would have had to come back an 11/10 for me to give it credit. But, apparently after buying a brand new $1000 revolver, then sending it BACK to the factory, what you end up with is an 8/10 firearm. So, I guess thats still a passing grade, but its like a B-.

I dunno, whatever. it is what it is. If it shoots straight and doesnt fill up with lead instantly I GUESS its okay. but again, to reiterate...apparently in this day and age, $1000 gets you something thats "okay"

Sigh.

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
Wow. That my friend is total BS. Bad enough how it was when you got it but to send it back and it still has some issues is just bad QC. I would definitely send them a letter and let them know from now on you will only buy older revolvers.

Paulie