The laughable quality of modern smith and Wesson

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
That sucks Man. I'm wondering how many shooters would have never thought twice about the problems You have had with this gun. I also wonder if S&W counts on most people not noticing their crappy work?

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Its in their hands right now, will be another day or two before its "checked in".

I guarantee they wont buy it back. All i care about at this point is either getting a gun back that I approve of, or getting one back that I can sell in good conscience.

Less than Perfect

That is one awful bunch of defects. You can always claim the "I didn't have my glasses on" excuse for accepting it.

In my youth, searching for my first new handgun, I picked up many and could tell the difference in quality a lot of times just by the feel. One day I compared a S&W revolver to a Ruger and the Ruger won hands down. Been a fan ever since. The Smith & Wesson felt cheap. The whole gun felt like it was made with bad steel. Yes, the Ruger was heavier but that made me feel safe. So I ended up with a Ruger Speed Six just as they were switching over to the new model .357. Best money I ever spent. And to this day I've never considered buying a S&W unless it was an older gun like a previous poster stated. This was in 1987 or close to it.

It is a sad story to hear of such a great company losing site of quality control. Hope it all works out in your favor.

Dr.Lou

uber Member
I have a PC 627 snubby. The only thing I found wrong with mine was the poor fitting Eagle grips - love the look of their Secret Service grips, but never had a pair that fit as well as other brands.

Less than Perfect

That is one awful bunch of defects. You can always claim the "I didn't have my glasses on" excuse for accepting it.

In my youth, searching for my first new handgun, I picked up many and could tell the difference in quality a lot of times just by the feel. One day I compared a S&W revolver to a Ruger and the Ruger won hands down. Been a fan ever since. The Smith & Wesson felt cheap. The whole gun felt like it was made with bad steel. Yes, the Ruger was heavier but that made me feel safe. So I ended up with a Ruger Speed Six just as they were switching over to the new model .357. Best money I ever spent. And to this day I've never considered buying a S&W unless it was an older gun like a previous poster stated. This was in 1987 or close to it.

It is a sad story to hear of such a great company losing site of quality control. Hope it all works out in your favor.
"Made with bad steel" dam bro you got some mad steel skills, I am sure the Ruger felt like a tank. The Ruger Six series were some of the most overbuilt guns ever. And as a lefty have the most user friendly cylinder release of all revolvers. Still doesn't compare to an old school S&W K frame .
S&W has the better trigger and is sexy as hell!! No comparison on the blueing, fit and finish. S&W quality decline began with the introduction of MIM parts. They produce such identical parts no hand fitting is required but in their defense they have to be able to compete in the marketplace. If they still built them like they used to you would be looking around $2500.00 for one of there revolvers today. There older hand fitted guns continue to climb in value and sell pretty quickly on the secondary market.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Any update? Has anything been settled?
Everything was settled some time ago. I got
My gun back after another several week visit to the factory. During which they stopped responding to my occasional inquiries. I was not pestering. I was emailing them about once a week asking for the updates that they promised to give me.

In the end I think this 3rd trip was about 4 or 5 weeks, and they never even told me what they did to it, even though I was promised a summary of the work done. After a few em nails the last correspondence I ever got was ‘it’s being shipped out’ or something to that effect, and my attempts to follow up from that point were ignored.

It came back with a clean finish, the hammer was never attended to, and the beginning of the rifling was still not particularly clean. The dovetail was repaired, and I could still see marks where they removed and replaced the barrel. It’s say it is about 90-95% of what I think it should have been from the factory on the first try. It took them 3 tries and 13 or 14 weeks to give me a $1000 gun that I would rate at 95%.

It shoots fine, carries fine, the process sucked and customer service sucked but it is what it is.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
I think I said it earlier, I've got several older S&W revolvers, and one newer one. The older ones are order of magnitude better crafted. It's truly a shame!

LASCHRIS

"Life is hard enough. It's harder when your stupid
Try to find someone high up in Customer Service. Or the big cheese himself. This is no way to make a S&W. People in high places at S&W are cutting costs, so they can keep their jobs. Myself, I prefer the older wheel guns. Have a good pistol smith that can do an action job. The result, a perfect wheel gun!

Gunhand

Firearms Instructor
I took these new in the box 642's to Dave at the Gun Butler to do a little action work on them. He said one was full of oil, and the other was dry as a bone, and had a piece of Jolly Rancher wrapper in the action. They came in at 10.5 pound trigger pull, and came back at 6.5 pounds and butter smooth! S&W624Set.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, this is the most fascinating and informative thread I have ever read on Nevada Shooters. I have well over a dozen firearms from various manufacturers, both long guns and hand guns. I bought them mainly by what caliber and type of firearm I wanted to get at the time and not necessarily by manufacturer. So far none of them have been S&W. In the for seeable future I don't think I will be getting one theirs either. Finally, I just want to say, your photography is downright incredibly awesome. While I certainly hope you gain some eventual satisfaction with your situation, could you please tell me/us the stats of your photography? Manufacturer, model, etc. Thank you.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
First of all, this is the most fascinating and informative thread I have ever read on Nevada Shooters. I have well over a dozen firearms from various manufacturers, both long guns and hand guns. I bought them mainly by what caliber and type of firearm I wanted to get at the time and not necessarily by manufacturer. So far none of them have been S&W. In the for seeable future I don't think I will be getting one theirs either. Finally, I just want to say, your photography is downright incredibly awesome. While I certainly hope you gain some eventual satisfaction with your situation, could you please tell me/us the stats of your photography? Manufacturer, model, etc. Thank you.
I just take pics with an iphone. I dunno what im doing. I just take pics.

http://instagr.am/p/BfL-GeIhZ9X/
http://instagr.am/p/BgIXLWMFRIU/
Here's my normal carry setup. Dont get me started on Savoy holsters, that was another dissapointment.
https://flic.kr/p/27h1zG6

Last edited: