The NFA Waiting Game

42tula

uber Member
I wonder if (these are rhetorical questions) we can get a refund from the ATF on our Form 4s when they aren’t approved because of their approval lag and our newest commie dictators future rulings? I wonder if I will get a full refund from the place of purchase since I won’t be able to take possession of them?

Looks like it’s time to look into making one of my own and a form 1 like Kyle did. Kyle can you post some basic instructions on how we go about this? I looked into the websites you mentioned, I just don’t know the difference in the baffles, spacers, etc.

Thanks I will check it out. I am almost done with the CAD design of my mono core. So I need to figure when I can start machining what parts.

I have my Form 4 back so I can pick it up today. I am also getting started on my first form 1 build... It will be fun to see just how long it will take from start to ready to shoot.

Last edited:
I have my Form 4 back so I can pick it up today. I am also getting started on my first form 1 build... It will be fun to see just how long it will take form start to ready to shoot.
Form 1 efiles are going pretty quick, form one transfers from out of state are rediculous. Just waited 10 months for approval, but it finally came in

Form 1 efiles are going pretty quick, form one transfers from out of state are rediculous. Just waited 10 months for approval, but it finally came in
What is a "form 1 transfer from out of state"?

Form 1 is making a SBR/suppressor. Nothing gets transferred on a form1. Once a item has been created it is transferred on a form 4 (or others if going to a dealer or tax free etc).

Out of state would have nothing to do with it either. If you buy something on a form 4 from NFA here, or from Silencer Shop in Texas, its roughly going to be the same amount of time for the transfer to you. Slight delay of maybe a week while doing the form 3 for SS to send the item to your local shop but inconsequential amount of time added if the item is located out of state.

Paper Form 1 and 4 wait times are still roughly 6-8 months.
EForm1 is taking roughly 30 days. (Had one take 6 one take 32)

With the Eforms back, the paper form 4's will speed up because less people will be doing paper form 1's.

I efiled a Form 1 on Dec 18. The new waiting game begins.
FYI NFA branch is closed during the shutdown. They are only keeping a few people on staff to do Form 5 transfers (Military and LEO) I read they will also continue to do Form 3's as time permits. But no 4 or 1's will be worked on.

ironpegasus

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
FYI NFA branch is closed during the shutdown. They are only keeping a few people on staff to do Form 5 transfers (Military and LEO) I read they will also continue to do Form 3's as time permits. But no 4 or 1's will be worked on.
Which is awful - I just called for status on my first can that I bought back in April and found out that even though they were plenty quick to cash the check, the form 4 hasn't even been assigned to an examiner yet. In EIGHT months NOBODY even started the process. And while I'm all for keeping the government shut down until we have border security, that likely means I won't see it until 2020 at this rate. So unhappy with the performance of the ATF and even more upset that Congress didn't pass the Save Our Hearing act or something similar because NICS is still processing BG checks and really the only function the ATF serves in this capacity is to cash a check and then slow walk the whole thing down the line.

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the 411 on asking about the examiner assigned as I've never thought to ask that. I called today as well re: my can that went pending May 4th.

I've called weekly since early December as my can that went pending April 13th was approved November 16th so I figured it'd be a few weeks after. Nope! I do have the serial number memorized now though lol.

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
I forgot to add that the gal that answered the phone confirmed nothing is being processed right now due to the shutdown. I asked her after she read the script about the received/pending dates. Maybe she is doing so to avoid the furlough as opposed to a recording indicating that callers can continue to hurry up and wait.

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
My waiting game has ended as I just picked up my 2nd of two cans. The pending to approved day count was 294 and my purchase to possession was 342 days.

I'm going to look into Form 1 stuff until the Form 4 eFile system is up and debugged.

My waiting game has ended as I just picked up my 2nd of two cans. The pending to approved day count was 294 and my purchase to possession was 342 days.
I'm going to look into Form 1 stuff until the Form 4 eFile system is up and debugged.
I Submitted an Eform 1 on 1/18/19... Still pending 47 days later and still waiting...

Then I Submitted another Eform 1 on 2/14/19 and it is approved 3/6/19 20 days and done.

Of course my two snail mail form 4s from 8/28/18 are still pending... lol

I really wish someone from NFA could explain this stuff to me... lol

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
Of course my two snail mail form 4s from 8/28/18 are still pending... lol

I really wish someone from NFA could explain this stuff to me... lol
"I'm with the federal government and I'm here to help" has never applied to anything they have even the slightest involvement in let alone fully administer lol

ironpegasus

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Still waiting for my Form 4 can purchased 6/6/18. ATF hit my CC days after.
Still waiting on one from APRIL. And this despite holding numerous government pre-clearances (CCW, Global Entry, TSA Pre, etc.) Almost like they are slow walking it because they know I follow all the rules and so feel like they can.