• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Toyota 4 runner or Subaru

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The wife is about due for a new vehicle, trying to decide between Toyota 4 runner or Subaru Aspire. It would be used, like most 4x4s, 98% on road, just like the 4x4 for going over Donner summit to visit grand kids in Sacramento. Seems like both are getting to be in the $40K range.

Ideas? opinions?

Thanks for any insight.....

Just an Average Joe

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Toyotas are much more reliable long term.

They also tend to hold their value much better. Just search older 4Runners and Land Cruisers - very expensive for their age range.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
4Runner's are not as rugged as they used to be, but still a ton better than any Suburu. On and off the road, IMO.

Maxcarp

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2023 Supporter
$40k for a Subaru?I don`t think So!And I used to work at a Subaru dealer turning wrenches,back in the 90s.Spend the $$ and buy the Toyota!

Hacker

Active member (5.56mm)
Toyota trucks have earned my respect and loyalty -- I have owned several over the years, and they have been tough and ultra reliable.

I still own a 99 4Runner Limited with 240K on the clock and nothing other than "typical" maintenance items replaced.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Toyota trucks have earned my respect and loyalty -- I have owned several over the years, and they have been tough and ultra reliable.

I still own a 99 4Runner Limited with 240K on the clock and nothing other than "typical" maintenance items replaced.
Yea, I've got a '03 Tacoma 4x4, with about 260K, never an issue of any kind. I like the 4 Runner as it still has body on frame construction. Toyota just hasn't done much with them the last few years.....I guess if it isn't broke, no reason to fix it!

The newer Subarus seem more technically advanced, but I suppose, that's just more to go wrong.... The Subaru Aspire would be the first year of production, and that kind of scares me a bit.

I think you guys have me leaning toward the Toyota, again!

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Wife bought her 4runner grocery gettter back in '06 with 45k miles on it. She still drives it with 228k on it. It has the V6 in it. If you go with the v8, there's a major service that is usually done at 100k, 200k..

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I don't know about one being more reliable than the other. I'd generally buy a gas powered Honda, Nissan, Subaru, or Toyota over any comparable "American" vehicle. Of those 4 Nissan usually gets more of a the bad rap - but I've never heard Subaru getting one. It's not Isuzu or Suzuki (which gets a bad rap but run forever). I would look at Edmonds and user forums for the specific vehicles to see what the beef is with any of them.

Oh and I have a Nissan and a Honda now and the Nissan has had wayyyyy less issues!

requiem

Ain't nobody got time for that!
Staff member
Lead Bouncer
Founding Member
so i own a subaru forester. It's a good car and the dealer has called me multiple times to get and buy it back. NOPE. that being said, it sucks with MPG, but highly reliable.

my 2011 still has the original brakes, shocks/struts @ almost 80k

only repairs to date have been a pcv valve/tune up.

as for toyotas, you cannot go wrong with them, either

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I don't know about one being more reliable than the other. I'd generally buy a gas powered Honda, Nissan, Subaru, or Toyota over any comparable "American" vehicle. Of those 4 Nissan usually gets more of a the bad rap - but I've never heard Subaru getting one. It's not Isuzu or Suzuki (which gets a bad rap but run forever). I would look at Edmonds and user forums for the specific vehicles to see what the beef is with any of them.

Oh and I have a Nissan and a Honda now and the Nissan has had wayyyyy less issues!
Only Nissan for my work trucks, three right now. Because, when it's time for work, the truck has to work. In twenty years, only minor repair and wear items. (Knock on wood)

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I had a Nissan truck in some form since 2003 as well. Since 2007 or 2008 they have been Titans (only 2). They are a nice bang for the buck if one doesn't mind buying lots of gas! My folks have had 2 Armadas, putting well over 200k on each without issues.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
My Titan gets sweet milage vs my Ford "fun truck." A huge difference in power, though. You gotta pay to play!

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Our's are older, wife's 2000 and my 1990 4x4. Fricking ultra reliable, other than normal maintenance were total believers in the 4 runner line. The most trouble free vehicles we've ever owned.

If you're not going to do any real offroad then whichever you can get the better deal on is the one i'd go with. If going offroad (not down a a graded dirt road) then go with the Toyota. They come standard with skid plates and are far better for off road.

I had an 1983 Subaru GL 2 door hatch back. It had the transfer case with real 4x4. That little thing would go darn near anywhere my friends could go in their fullsize trucks except when the trails were heavily rutted. The little car just took a beating like no other.

I bought a brand new 1995 Nissan Hard body 4x4 king cab and had nothing but problems with it. Clutch went out at 12,000 miles, couldn't keep it aligned, Passenger front seat latch broke, tailgate handle broke, radio broke, radiator started leaking. All was covered under the warranty but I got rid of it at 22,000 miles as I had had enough. My brother bought a slightly used Pathfinder and had all kinds of issues with his as well. Took a major hit when he traded it in on a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which had all kinds of issues as well).

I bought my 4Runner in 2006 when my Dodge ram was stolen. It's the Limited 4x4 model with the V8. It has easily been the most trouble free vehicle i've ever owned. The wife drives it mostly but we have driven it all over. It currently has 155K on it and going strong. Does great in the snow and offroad. The only downside is it is full time 4x4 due to the V8 and it gets around 15mpg in the city and 17 on the Highway.

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
so i own a subaru forester. It's a good car and the dealer has called me multiple times to get and buy it back. NOPE. that being said, it sucks with MPG, but highly reliable.

my 2011 still has the original brakes, shocks/struts @ almost 80k

only repairs to date have been a pcv valve/tune up.

as for toyotas, you cannot go wrong with them, either
I have a 2009 Forester ... It's a good car, kept up with the maintenance and it's never left me stranded but one time when the battery took a poop.
I just replaced my "original" brakes at 128k ... Fuel mileage could be better, but it's better than my truck.
Subaru's seem to be uninsured motorist magnets though, 4 times since moving to northern NV 2 years ago

Rem222

RD2
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
We have a 2002 4Runner. 165K. Nothing but the normal maintenance done on it. We use it off road often exploring old Nevada mining sites. I do not know much about Subaru but I can say our Toyota has been a great vehicle. 4Runner.jpeg

Brider

CPAs do it by the numbers
Staff member
Forum Supporter
I haven't owned either that said a 4 Runner has been on my wishlist for many years. Problem is used ones get a premium and I see them over KBB many times.

I have owned three 4Runners over the last twenty years. They are very reliable, safe and fun vehicles to drive. Haven't spent a dime beyond normal maintenance on any of them. Currently pushing 100,000 miles on my 2012 and it looks and drives like its brand new. The resale value on these, if or when you decide to upgrade to the new model is excellent as well. You can't go wrong with a 4Runner in my opinion.

requiem

Ain't nobody got time for that!
Staff member
Lead Bouncer
Founding Member
I have a 2009 Forester ... It's a good car, kept up with the maintenance and it's never left me stranded but one time when the battery took a poop.
I just replaced my "original" brakes at 128k ... Fuel mileage could be better, but it's better than my truck.
Subaru's seem to be uninsured motorist magnets though, 4 times since moving to northern NV 2 years ago
so i traded my forester in for a sierra back in mid april. i found our that there was an oil leak that would require the entire engine to be removed resulting in a hefty repair bill. I do miss that vehicle from time to time, especially its handling. My sierra is a lumbering boat compared to that car.

not to mention it did better off road than @titanNV's titan. :D