Types of knife grinds

jseymour

Obsessed Member
I use many different type's of grinds on my knives depending on their purpose. Each has a weakness and strength. So here is a list of different type of grinds I found on the internet to give a visual aid.

The scandi or saber grind is very useful for something like a bushcraft knife or like the pocket knife blade I made of PC911. It allows for a edge to take more abuse without folding over or breaking in a piece of very thin metal. You usually do not see this grind in anything over 1/8". My favorite bowie knife when I was a kid had this grind. It was a Case XX bowie knife with a picture of Jim Bowie on the blade. It could cut through a 4" mesquite limb in about 3 strokes.

The hollow grind. Note their is another type of hollow grind I will show below but could not find a picture anywhere that had all the grinds on one picture. This type of hollow grind is very common in today manufacturing. It is extremely easy to grind and one of the first grinds one learns in making custom knives. The thickness of the edge gives more strength over a full hollow. I personally do not like this grind on anything other than some pocket knives. It just does not perform as well as others. It is considered by some to be general purpose.

The high flat grind. This is a fairly popular grind in the ABS and other flat grinders who will round the spine. Leaving the flat is supposed to allow for full spine thickness to increase the strength of the blade throughout the distance of the blade. I like this grind when I am going to round the spine. I do not believe that the 1/8" to 1/4" of metal not ground makes the knife more robust as some claim it does. But that is my opinion.

Flat grind. All the blades in this batch where flat ground except the tanto's that are scandi ground. Ever since I started testing my knives on 2X4's and other material I fell in love with the performance this grind gives. Below I will show another picture that shows how I have modified this grind a little to give it more performance.

Full convex. This grind gives maximum strength to the edge but does take away from it's cutting ability due to it's thickness. Mostly used on axes and some bowie knives.

Here is another picture of the flat grind with a con vexed edge like I will put on the batch knives.

The convexed edge gives the edge a little more strength and makes for a wickedly sharp edge.

Here is a better picture of a full hollow grind.

See how thin the full hollow blade will get. This is used a lot on straight razors. The thicker semi-hollow is how most factory and a lot of custom knives are made. I do not like this grind in a chopper because it meet's the full thickness of the blade to quickly making for a poor chopping knife.

gundamit

Super Duper Noob
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Thanks for the write up an thoughts about each grind. I was confused on purpose of some of the grinds. I run the scandi on my bush knife but always wondered when looking for either an edc knife an which type of grind would best fit my every day needs. I know this type of info is out there but having your thoughts on purpose an use makes it easier to decide.