• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Upland Season getting near

Tanjo

Going up to the cold creek area this friday, hoping for some birds and/or rabbits. My buddy went scouting up there a couple weeks ago, didnt see anything, but who knows. We need somewhere within an hours drive, so were gonna give it a shot.

Anyone else had any luck, somewhat local? Someone at work mentioned searchlight, but no specifics.

Tanjo

Are you talking about the Kane Springs up east of Pahranagat? Goolge maps puts that almost exactly 2 hours out of North Vegas. Would make a good weekend trip though, have people been having luck up there?

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Anyone else had any luck, somewhat local? Someone at work mentioned searchlight, but no specifics.
I dont think there have been any birds out that way for a few years now. It used to be a great spot but sadly no more. It has been a few years since I have been out there though so it might have changed.

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
South of Paranagut on 93, Yeah, the delamar valley, the ol' Carp/ Elgin Rd. I forget the state route #. It takes about an hour to the turnoff on 93.

Yeah there are quail in the searchlight area. Across from walking box ranch on the north side of the road. Early season they are all around the guzzlers and the pond.

Since it is easy access, they get chased and shot at a lot so by mid season, they are pretty people shy.

Xmas tree pass and points south holds birds also. Get a guzzler map and do some legwork and you can find em'. These are all wild birds so they're pretty survival smart

Last edited:

Tanjo

Spent about 3 hours this morning up at cold creek, hunting around that guzzler up against the moutains. Didnt see anything, save for 2 cottontails that we couldnt get a shot at, and a bunch of ground squirrels. Seems like good terrain for birds, water nearby, lots of cover... Not a damn thing.

Goddamn global warming....

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I was elk hunting in Cold Creek last fall and saw lots of chukar up close to tree line.

I have been out twice this season around Pahrump, did not see a chukar or quail but saw 4 cotton tails, but since I won't eat one I didn't shoot.

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I have hunted chukar for years and have never seen any by a guzzler yet. These were a couple of miles above the cabins.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Was up around Kyle and Lee canyons today, no birds. Did discover an issue with my transfer case though...or at least it sounds like it from time to time. *shrug*

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Finally get to stretch the legs this weekend. Wife is all excited, she has her new shotgun all ready to blast away. Hopefully we will see some birds and bag a few too. WTH, just had 2 co-workers come in hacking. If I get sick and can't go I am gonna have to slap someone!

Went to searchlight good drive but that was about it.

Took the 164 hwy toward Nipton.
Took 7 mile rd, Crescent Peak rd, 1 mile road all marked private

Took powerline roads not one bird, I did not even see any other hunters, did see some guys on dirt bikes and they said they have not seen any birds, There is a lot of cactus though My dog did a great job finding all of them with her feet.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Poor pup. Our border collie likes to do that. She has no pain receptors we think. We rescued her from the pound and we came to learn that she was severely beaten as a little one. Best dog I have ever owned.

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
Some of these places are really rough on dog feets. I use Lewis boots on my pointers, they hold up well, and offer max protection. I've tried a lot of booties over the years, these I have found to work the best

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
Shotgun operator error, only 2 Phez today :banghead: but, it was a lot of fun

Tailgate Phez

SgtMaj on point,

Only 2 and he's a bit irate at me for missing

Last edited:

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Where did you find pheasant? I didn't think we had any of those here. We went out yesterday. Saw a ton of birds but didn't hit a darn thing but a rabbit, lol. Nice large covey of chuckar, about 20. They just stood there, by the time we got out of my father in laws wrangler they ran off. Next trip is in my jeep, easier in and out, lol. Still had a good time.

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
Same thing happened to me at a guzzler near Kane springs one year. As I pulled up to park, there must have been upwards of 50 quail in front of my truck. We weren't even ready, by the time we got guns and ammo, birds vanished. Dogs couldn't pick them up either. The phez are from Utah.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
might go with wife again this weekend but in my Jeep. Luckily we won't need my 4wd since it is being flaky. Have posts about it on another forum that I am a member on. Has me stumped and hoping a buddy of mine in Ohio might know what the issue is. If we don't go I will be working on it and my father in laws jeep. :):yahoo:

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
So as it stands right now, Saturday I am going to head out hunting in the mid-afternoon. Well...not really hunting. I am headed out with camping gear too. Sat night setup camp and relax under the stars...and freeze, lol. Sunday get up around dawn, blast any and all birds then break down camp and head back into town. So...if any of you happen to come across a small camp with a Jeep...chances are it is me. Make sure you make it a point to say, "Nevada Shooter!?" when you come on near. :scsniper1:
Now, just need to get some gear gathered and pulled from various spots within the house, lol. Wife said, it is a vacation weekend at the house for her, lol.

Oh and there is a very high probability that I will call some coyotes Sat night too. :)