• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Upland Season getting near

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
I'm headed to UT in the moring for phez. Hope we don't get rained out. In this weather, I should be goin' duck huntin instead :yesnod:

don't forget your raingear!!

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
I'm headed to UT in the moring for phez. Hope we don't get rained out. In this weather, I should be goin' duck huntin instead :yesnod:

don't forget your raingear!!
No Doubt. Headed to Walmart tonight to get a tarp, mine vanished in the last move. I figure tarp over head and Jeep behind should be ok...we will see. Last time I went camping I was on Charleston and got snowed in, lol. Started good but then went to **** quickly, lol. I did sleep like a baby in the 24 degrees or so though, lol.

GL on the hunt. I have yet to go for phez and agree about the ducks, lol.

FYI you will drive right past me, I am going to be around the Mormon Mesa area. No idea where to camp yet though, checking my topos now.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
LOL ok day plans changed again. I swear all the guys I hunt with act like women shopping, lol. Still solo but now not doing the other plans. Waiting on hearing back from one guy and will see if it is a camping/hunting trip or just hunting.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Well, it took a lot but I was talked out of going tonight and tomorrow. LOL. Instead I hit NFA and helped the in laws on a couple projects. Perhaps next week...er...the week after that.

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
Our phez hunt got rained out. You must hunt with the same guys I do.

I had two hunt ready, cranked up GSPs to deal with on saturday. Took em out to apex to blow off all their energy or at least some of it.

Spent the rest of the day listening to the mrs complain about muddy dogs and that wet doggy smell in the house. At least I hosed off most of the mud before they got in the house :001_smile:

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Since the season is over, how did everyone do? I only went out 4 times chukar hunting, first 3 times I didn't see or hear a bird and then the last trip shot twice and got 2 birds.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Wife and I went 3 times. Kill count was 2 rabbits, lol. Never had any birds in my range wife did. She is still getting used to her 20 ga. She says she will kill them next season come hell or high water, lol. Other than that...nadda.

Will probably hit a few more bunnies in the next week or two.

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
Went out twice for phez. Rain washed out two other phez hunts and a chucker hunt I had scheduled.

6 phez went on the grill this year. Went out a few times for quail, didn't get any.

These days half the fun is getting the dogs out and watchin' them work. They always have fun. A day outta the city and in the field with the dogs is a good day for me

Tanjo

Went out twice, once to cold creek, didnt see ANYTHING, not even any bunnies.

Went out to Ash Meadows right at the end of the season, saw a ton of quail. I got one, buddys got 2. We jumped a giant covey, at least 20 birds or more, but they were out in the open, pretty far away, and just kept running as soon as we got within ~75 yds. We chased them for almost an hour, didnt even get a shot off. Little bastards.

My buddys brit spaniel, just a little pup, jumped a jack out in the open and ran it down. I was impressed. Kept thinking about that scene from Snatch.

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Hope you all know that if you hunt in Ash Meadows you must use steel shot only. Had a Ranger explain in detail that is the law and he writes a buttload of tickets every year.

There are a bunch of other rules but I don't have them in front of me. I think you must have your shotgun in a case, any other gun is not allowed, and no hunting except for bird hunting. Had a buddy get caught yote hunting and got a ticket in the thousands of dollars.

Tanjo

Ya, we were using steel. Thats pretty much a given on any preserve/protected area, especially when theres water around.

I was reading about the no coyote wackin' in theyre brochure, I wonder what the reasoning behind that is. I imagine because there isnt a season on yotes, they dont want people up there all year blasting away. It was my first time up there, and I liked it. Hit some wierd quicksand like stuff, you would swear up and down it was solid ground, until you stepped on it and sank knee deep.