• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Weapon Light Recommendation

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
I think O light flashlights are ok for day to day use around the house , the shop , etc. I have one I have been using in the photo/video studio for a few years , runs on a single AA battery (S1A Baton). I also have a PL mini 2 Valkyrie. I am not sure , I have taken it to the range for night shooting , and I think for a 10 -12 yard tops light it is " ok for the price " , though I did get mine on a sale for $50.
They claim 600 lumens and 2500 candella which I think is a big stretch. Its a great $50 pistol light, not so sure it is a great $100 light though.

The TLR1- HL is a great pistol light option for under $140 , and for $160 I see they now have a light and long-gun accessory kit .

rennD

Geissele Junkie
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Surefire Scouts with pads on my ARs and X300s on my home defense pistols. My EDC Glock 43X has a Streamlight TLR6 and my Shields too. Other random pistols, I have Olight PL Mini Valkyries (I really like the USB charging, makes my semi-annual charge up days so easy).

Honestly, I have been happy with all of them. GL in your search.

That Modlight PLHv2 is off the hook. My son bought one for his AR , and man does that thing throw light. 1350 lumens , 54,000 candella.
If it is something you plan to rely on to protect yourself/home, don't go cheap. Buy once , cry once.
The candella. Is always a good point. Lumens don't mean nothing if it doesn't have a candella.

https://modlite.com/collections/all...v2-18650-light-package?variant=31630445740068

What I do like about modlite is that you can buy the head unit.

If you want that red/white light option for a 8inch thats cheap. Go with them airsoft peq-15 with the laser.

https://www.airsoftmegastore.com/18813-ama-peq-15-led-white-light-red-laser-dark-earth-AC-377TRL

Fairfield has one smaller as well.

https://fire-field.com/products/2025/firefield-charge-ar-red-laser-sight-and-flashlight/
If you want an entry level white light $150 ish or less with out the pressure switch you can get a streamlight HL-x has a good hot spot.
https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/protac-rail-mount-hl-x

I have a g2 2004 IS and I replaced it with a LED.

If you want to have a good throw look at LEP lights.
https://1lumen.com/lep-flashlight/

So many options. You can always have two flash lights on your weapon system dedicated. But seeing you have a sbr/pistol. I. Assuming you want ultra compact.

Grumpyoldretiredcop

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I have a light on my carry pistol. It isn't red as I'm not going to be searching with it. I have a flashlight for that. I'll be identifying a potential target. I also have an old-school Surefire G2 with a Surefire flipup red filter. Red light isn't a bad idea for searching at night without destroying your night vision, but once you're past the search stage and dealing with a potential target, it won't matter what color light you shine on it.

I have a light on my carry pistol. It isn't red as I'm not going to be searching with it. I have a flashlight for that. I'll be identifying a potential target. I also have an old-school Surefire G2 with a Surefire flipup red filter. Red light isn't a bad idea for searching at night without destroying your night vision, but once you're past the search stage and dealing with a potential target, it won't matter what color light you shine on it.
I have the G2. Did you upgrade the bulb to LED or still have the original on there?

Grumpyoldretiredcop

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
A couple still have the original xenon bulb so that an IR filter will work. All the rest have been converted to LED. For EDC, I have a Maglite Solitaire on my key ring.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I’ve used the olights, Fenix, viridian, and TLRs all with good success as far as them not breaking when I shoot at the range.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
modlite plhv2 nothing else is worth looking at
Doesn’t look like a handgun light. And $300 for a long gun light? Some pistols cost less.

I’m not getting in and out of an MRAP 10 times a day. I don’t need a supremely strong light.

There is a lot of other options worth looking at that cost less.

Doesn’t look like a handgun light. And $300 for a long gun light? Some pistols cost less.

I’m not getting in and out of an MRAP 10 times a day. I don’t need a supremely strong light.

There is a lot of other options worth looking at that cost less.
it has a smaller body version that might do well on a full size handgun, perfect for a pistol build, but generally they're for long guns. budgeting is always understandable but when we're talking about basically $100 for the bare minimum in a decent and reliable weapon light, adding another $100+ (mine was $220 with a good sale) and getting a vastly superior light is pretty understandable

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
You can get a STREAMLIGHT PROTAC HL-X at Big Daddy unlimited for $102 ( with pressure switch ) 1,000 lumens & 27,600 candela . It’s not modlite bright, but it’s 1/3 the price.