• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Weird sell defense real life scenario

MrTuna

Former Moderator
This is a second account. A guy who doesn't carry or know much about self defense was in a Las Vegas grocery store. The guy behind him in the checkout line had a Glock fall out of his pants (assuming no holster) and it falls on this guy's foot. The gun owner/ possible criminal told the guy to back away from his gun. What would you do if you had this happen to you? I know that there are 1000s of variables but it's a scenario I have never considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
Back away from the gun, never take my eyes off the person. Leave the store.

Felon or honest citizen, the guy is a danger to himself and others.

StarFire

I think it would depend upon visual clues, tone of voice, etc.. Meaning if the guy looked like a gang banger and used a menacing tone would be different from someone who said, "Oh, I'm sorry, please step back and I'll get it." Meaning more from a safety viewpoint.

The former I might be inclined to report for further investigation, the later I might suggest a holster. And yes, I profile. :)

In both cases I'd follow Jim's suggestion too.

MrTuna

Former Moderator
Good points both of you. I found out the guy said "Back the F away from my gun". Once a gun is inserted into an argument it changes things IMO. Especially with that attitude. I'm not inclined to think I would want to let this person have a chance to pick up his gun while I am there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
Strange... Maybe the guy was confused and thought the other guy tried to take it from him when really he had holster failitis?

I'm not sure I'd be too keen on letting a guy who is apparently a belligerent grab his gun off the floor. The problem with doing that is that the gun will now be in his hands and probably pointing at you on the way up. I'd be afraid he deliberately dropped it so he could pick it up and shoot me with it and not look like he's doing a classic draw. Deliberately dropping a heavy object onto another person could also be a form of assault. Wearing open toed shoes I bet it would hurt a bit to have a pistol fall on your toes.

If he was was calm and said "Aw man, I just dropped my gun, sorry," I'd let him pick it up or hand it to him depending on how the gun is oriented on the ground (depending on whether it was pointing towards me or away from me on the ground and where it fell compared to where we stood). But if he's saying "back the f away from my gun" and grasping towards it, I'd probably be insisting that he back off / calm down, maybe I'd even kick his gun away from him if he was looking like he was going for it, blocking his path to it. I'll pay for his scratched gun if need be, I just don't want to get shot by some dude with a 'tude trying to drop his gun on my foot as a pretext for conflict.

It isn't my fault he dropped his gun on me and he has no right to intimidate me into doing anything. He can retrieve his gun when he's not apparently trying to pick a fight with some random person he dropped his gun onto.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
This is a second account. A guy who doesn't carry or know much about self defense was in a Las Vegas grocery store. The guy behind him in the checkout line had a Glock fall out of his pants (assuming no holster) and it falls on this guy's foot. The gun owner/ possible criminal told the guy to back away from his gun. What would you do if you had this happen to you? I know that there are 1000s of variables but it's a scenario I have never considered.
What can avoid that, is to carry a gun like this one (people will think you dropped your cell phone):

-Don- Reno, NV

MrTuna

Former Moderator
I have never had a gun just fall on the ground out of my pants and with that statement he became a threat with a gun. I'm not giving someone like that any leeway. If I could kick it I would as I presented. He would have to make a decision of how badly he wanted to pick it up. I would get some space between us too. What a weird a$$ scenario. I guess anything can and will happen.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Wow, that's quite an interesting ring-tone you got there.
It's a .380 called the " Ideal Conceal". It's very new and it should hit the market by now, but so far I have not found it available anywhere. It is expected to cost around $300.00 IIRC.

I am looking for one. Anybody here seen them available anywhere?

-Don- Reno, NV