What’s the value of this 686?

ColtBill45

Hydrostatic shock creator
Picked this up recently for some work I did in trade and the guy gave me this pre-lock Smith & Wesson 686-5 in near new condition. It looks like it has only had maybe 10 shots through it and is in prestine condition. Since I have been out of the gun flipping game for awhile and I’m not a revolver guru, what would the ballpark range for this be today? Debating to keep it or make a few bucks off of it. I can tell you that I only did like $300 worth of work to obtain it. :001_cool:

Attachments

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Gunbroker has 70 or so pages of completed auctions of 686 revolvers. Looking at the first few pages very few have any bids and if so most of those have 1.
Starting bids are usually set to the $600-800 range.

ColtBill45

Gunbroker has 70 or so pages of completed auctions of 686 revolvers. Looking at the first few pages very few have any bids and if so most of those have 1.
Starting bids are usually set to the $600-800 range.
Thank you. I don't base many prices off of GunBroker because I know how the auctions work at the last minute and go through the roof on some items so I was just looking for a ball park base price.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Thank you. I don't base many prices off of GunBroker because I know how the auctions work at the last minute and go through the roof on some items so I was just looking for a ball park base price.
For one off and singles this may be true. However if the items being auctioned off are pretty easily available then gunbroker is a good start. Especially if you filter by used and those that actually sold.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
In this crowd, you'd ge lucky to get 500. Ask me how I know .. lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

zimzim

Obsessed Member
$550-$600 would be about how much it could sell for. Bought mine for $500. The one pictured has a standard tigger and hammer (vs the target model which is wider) The 6in barrels were a common variant too.

SeegarSmoker

Prefers Wheelguns
For comparison, I recently coughed up $600 for an almost new Talos 686 Plus. The Plus carries 7 rounds and the Talos has a few other bells and whistles but your 686-5 should be a pre-lock which is desirable to some folk. I'd say $550-$650 would be reasonable in the local market here.

ColtBill45

I actually love the way this gun feels and the condition for its age and will probably end up keeping it. It just feels like a good sturdy made piece.

$550 to $600 dash 4 is considered the best of the bunch. -5 has MIM hammer and trigger most Smith guys prefer the older forged parts. I personally never cared for the 586/686 guns the full lugs always seem muzzle heavy but there one of there best sellers.A prelock 7 shot 686 will bring $700 to $750 on GB.