What gun do you bring to California?

They would still have no probable cause to search.
You're ID check just came back that you have a CCW is enough, if the cop wants to ask to search your vehicle since you "are known" to carry a gun. If you decline the request to search, as my cop neighbor says "No problem sir/ma'am, please wait while I request a K-9 to do a walk around your vehicle" and I guarantee you the K-9 will "hit" on your vehicle, at which point your vehicle WILL get searched, likely while you are handcuffed at the front of the cop car or in the back seat of the cop car for the "officers safety". That has been upheld as legal by the U.S. Supreme Court already unfortunately.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
You're ID check just came back that you have a CCW is enough, if the cop wants to ask to search your vehicle since you "are known" to carry a gun. If you decline the request to search, as my cop neighbor says "No problem sir/ma'am, please wait while I request a K-9 to do a walk around your vehicle" and I guarantee you the K-9 will "hit" on your vehicle, at which point your vehicle WILL get searched, likely while you are handcuffed at the front of the cop car or in the back seat of the cop car for the "officers safety". That has been upheld as legal by the U.S. Supreme Court already unfortunately.
Most likely they will just use the K9 tactic as a bluff for intimidation. The K9 is too expensive to bring out for every random NV guy driving across the border. The K9 is better used when they have suspicion that they will be able to make a large civil asset forfeiture case.

MET45

I thought the Stay rebanned the purchase and importation, but all those magazines purchased during the interim before the Stay was issued are good to go. So, you have to be able to say you've been in CA with those magazines since then......
The last word on this was that the judge and DOJ have issued a stay on prosecution of any CA resident for POSSESSION only of plus 10 magazines, since it is impossible to prove they were not purchased legally.

Not so Chapped

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Good info, thanks. I wasn't aware and even though it won't change what I do it's nice to know.

I do play it somewhat safe in that I obey the traffic laws, don't carry hi cap mags and don't conceal. An unloaded and locked gun is useless.

And as far as I am concerned, they are unjust laws. FCA!

JR3

living in Henderson NV
I plead the 5th...

Same gun I carry here, f ca! I was there for 51 years, I know the routine.

Officer: do you have any weapons in your vehicle?
Me: No Sir.
I will relate a story I posted on another forum....

Officer: do you have any weapons in your vehicle?

Yes. I have. In Carlsbad Ca. I was younger in my early 20's, and naive.

I was driving a lowered VW Bug that I was doing bodywork on and the front bumper was off. I was on the way to meet buddies at an indoor range.

I was lit up and I pulled into a gas station parking lot. The officer says the reason I was stopped was for no front bumper. Asks for DL, Insurance, registration then asks if I have any drugs or weapons in the vehicle.

I tell him yes. I have a weapon in a locked case on the passenger side rear floorboard. The officer asks me to exit the vehicle and stand in front of his cruiser. He then proceeds to cuff me, for his safety, while he removes and inspects the weapon.

He finally gets the case unlocked and opened. Inside is a Ruger P85 MKII, mine purchased brand new at a gun dealer, with an empty mag inserted and a fully loaded extra mag in the case. He proceeds to hold the gun up while clearing and calling in serial number in front of numerous people getting gas. The crowd gathered as the officer was holding the gun and I sat, handcuffed, on the front bumper...LOOK AT THE CRIMINAL!!!!!
I am asked numerous questions about he gun, why do I have hollowpoints, etc.

I was then scolded for having the ammo with the gun. CA law considers a loaded mag in the same case as a loaded weapon and was threatened with confiscation.

Of course in the end I was able to leave but it probably took at least 45 min.

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
The only gun I ever bring into CA is a Beretta 686 field for shooting Clays

I prefer to just stay the hell out of CA

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
I was then scolded for having the ammo with the gun. CA law considers a loaded mag in the same case as a loaded weapon and was threatened with confiscation.

Of course in the end I was able to leave but it probably took at least 45 min.
Incorrect. California law does NOT consider a loaded mag in the same case as a loaded weapon. Cop just hated guns and wanted to give you a hard time. If there was a case, you would have been charged, not scolded. You were allowed to leave because the cop made up a fake law.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Fun fact. In CA EMPTY speedloaders and magazines are considered ammunition, for purposes of arresting and charging prohibited persons with possessing ammunition.
Prohibited persons as in tried and prosecuted criminals or prohibited persons as in every person (because everybody is prohibited from having a loaded gun in their car)

My wife and I go once a year, for over 3 weeks, to visit Munchkins, Girl 6 Boy 5. Drive a vehicle belonging to the residents. Shopping, kids to and from school. Cook and stuff.
Leave guns at home. City Stick as a lean on a device, whack gadget if required. At 83 YOA. Northern CA is not too bad, Sacramento.

LeadBurner

Snow on the roof but fire still in the furnace.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I don't take guns into CA. I like to keep them.

Last edited:

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
... I only go to CA when the grandchildren want to go to Disneyland.
Why not just teach the grandkids not to go to CA?

But this wasn't a "don't go to CA" thread. It's a "if you must go to CA" firearms thread.