• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What zone to deer hunt in?

Nevada drawing for Big Game
I'am new to Nevada and wondered what zone I should apply for? Everyone I talked to said apply for Ely. Is that zone 121?

CAB

Rowdy16

They have a map in the big game book available at license agents, such as Chinamart. I also heard there a a few big bucks near Caliente.

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I drew a deer tag in Ely 3 years ago and got a small buck, drew an elk tag in this area above Pahrump 2 years ago and got a bull. While elk hunting I saw at least 6 bucks so I know where they are and how to hunt them here. With the price of fuel I am going to put in for rifle and muzzle loader here first and second and Ely early season for third choice.

nevnut

I'm a life long resident (47 years) and hunted deer all my life until about 10 years ago. I bagged every year so i stopped so I wouldn't effect the deer population and younger, rookie hunters may have a chance. :wink5:

Love them chukar birds tho :2guns:

VegasAR15

a cleansing of the wicked
Forum Supporter
I have been wondering the same thing. This is the first year that I am putting in and have no idea where I should put in for. The closer to Vegas the better, since I would be able to make it out there for longer and more often.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
This is only my second year for big game but a good place is 111-116...they are generally not the largest but there are a lot of tags and game there. If you are going for size I believe it was 10-18 maybe but then there are very few tags, around 10-20. Hope that helps. You can also go to huntnevada.com and check out last years results to help narrow it down a bit.

gonzotactical

I hunted zone 114 and 115. (Around Great Basin) Saw alot of elk and some small deer. Was not impressed.... I am putting in for elk this year up there.... There are a few nice herds. Big bulls and lots of cows

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Hunting zones

Here are my favorites:

1 - 131-134 late
2 - 221 -223 late
3 - 131 -134 early
4 - 221 - 223 early
5 - 231

They are all between Pioche and Ely, there is a decent amount of game in the area....bad part is there is also a decent amount of hunters in the area :(

just in joy

rubies aka ruby mountians way up north elko area is a decent area to hunt but a 7-8 hr drive from vegas and be careful the highway that says turn your lights on please save yourself the ticket and turn them on and go the posted speed limits as they will pull you over. My daughter for her first deer @ Angel Lake just past Elko.

Ely is a good spot also smaller deer but closer to vegas only 3-4hrs but decent areas if you do Modern rifle bow or black powder is a better choice to hunt.

Nevada drawing for Big Game
I'am new to Nevada and wondered what zone I should apply for? Everyone I talked to said apply for Ely. Is that zone 121?

CAB
I did 121 last year, it is right outside of Ely. It was my first time applying. Now i did some scouting before. i saw a lot of antelope. But only a doe as far as a mule deer. This is what I got. az.jpg

Now there is a magazine called Eastmans, I just got in the mail thats breaks down sections with facts. i would suggest it.
Good luck.

Ok, being from Carlin(right on the Elko\Eureka county borders on I 80) I have put in for area 6, all of them, most of area 7 and 10. Granted I have put in for the last few years and have failed to draw. My antelope and Elk tags are a mix of a bunch of areas around here as well as down by Ely. Hopefully I can get something this year. If so, no matter how big or small, Im posting pics........Even if its just of the freaking tag :)

Here are my favorites:

1 - 131-134 late
2 - 221 -223 late
3 - 131 -134 early
4 - 221 - 223 early
5 - 231

They are all between Pioche and Ely, there is a decent amount of game in the area....bad part is there is also a decent amount of hunters in the area :(
haha everybody and their family's on atvs. glad more people cant shoot farther than 100 lol