• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What's the current dope on Kestrals or other ballistics tools?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I want to buy once, cry once. I'm not as tech savvy as I'd like to be, but can eventually learn how to use something that's worth it.

I bought the Applied Ballistics app for my tablet/phone (Samsung) a couple years ago, but have never used it.

I see there is a $500 Kestral 5700 that uses Hornady's 4DOF program. I want latest and greatest that isn't going to be obsolete or be worthless too soon.

In a similar vein, while I hear it's not for real precision work, I'm hearing great things about the Sig BDX system, but so far it's just distance, not wind.

Last edited:

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
mac if your going to buy once cry once get the 5700 elite ballistic with link...im about as tech challenged as they come...if you can text and send an email you can use a kestrel...make sure your info in is as close to perfect as you can get it and your golden...important things...

bullet length...measure a couple and change the default to the length you get
scope height...measure it...then measure it again
BC...no need to tweak the BC if your info is good
velocity....same as BC
there is a muzzle velocity temp setting that makes the kestrel adjust your dopes as it warms up through the day...its important to set this up...30-60 and 90 work well but best way to set the MV temp is to put 2 rounds in the freezer over nigh then transport them to the range on ice..keep 2 around 60-70deg let 2 get hot 90ish...shoot the cold one first...the hot ones next and the mid temp last over a good chrony and write down the speeds and temps then enter that info in.

getting the true north and im not sure how much the latitude matters because i ran mine on 0 for a long time and just entered 39 and dont seem to matter much but dont hurt either.

very important...print out the instructions and go through them with your kestrel in hand and get familiar with what button does what and going into the sub menus...they are simple-ish once you play a little and TONS of support...call the guys at AB and they will walk to through and problems and i can help a little to.

FYI my kestrel puts my elevation dead nuts out to 1220yds from 25deg to 90degs every time...the wind is the trick and if its blowing the same direction at shooter and target its dead on as well...i have my dopes written down just in case but have not used a dope card in over a year.

ton of info here... https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forums/ballistic-calculator-discussion/

Last edited:

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
So it arrived today. There were no seals on the box, and the unit wasn't in a plastic bag inside the box. But it looks new.

But it won't connect. I'm following the instructions to the letter. I have the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app on my Android. I have Bluetooth turned on for both the smartphone and the Kestrel, with the Connect set for PC/Mobile. But when I hit "connect device" it just spools and times out.

This is me with electronics. Why do I f'ing bother?

The box and unit say "Elite Ballistics," not "Applied Ballistics," like the pic on the Amazon page.

I'll go try my tablet...

Last edited:

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
It won't pair with my tablet, either. I'm getting frustrated and about to just send it back, and forget about trying to learn something new.

But next weekend, I'll actually be able to make it to the DSRPC Tactical Precision match because there is no ViMSAR this month to conflict with it. I'll bring it out and one of the experienced Kestrel guys can make sure whether it's just me or not.

I may even be able to take a morning off next week and practice at the range. Probably stand a good chance of running into someone then, too.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Update: I followed the exact same procedure yesterday and now it pairs with my phone. I even duplicated it just now when I followed the mostly good Kestrel set-up video on YouTube. So I now have the gun and ammo data profile saved and transferred to the Kestrel.

If I can get a break tomorrow, I'll try to hit Range 9 at DSRPC and see what happens.

I'm going to try to find a way to save the Kestrel YouTube videos to my tablet. I have no idea how to do that yet, but hopefully there is a way. I won't be able to download them at the range.

Just in setting the thing up, I've dropped from 100% to 85% on the battery. I just ordered a case of lithium AA batteries to keep in my shooting box.

Last edited:

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Mac did you get it figured out?

And the batteries last quite awhile...longer than you think....my kestrel stays on for 4-5 hours at matches...I change batteries every 5-6 matches or when they show 25-30% when I first turn it on.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I didn't make it to the match. I worked late Friday night, and early again Saturday morning. So I've not done any playing with it at the actual range. But once it paired to the phone, it went through all the set-ups.

I had a "normal" few days of work, and now I'm just slammed again.