Why Own A Single Action Revolver

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Got my first gun in 1963 when I was 10 years old. A Ruger Single Six .22, and I still have it.

I've since added a Single Six Convertible and a Blackhawk .357, both 3 screws. And a Blackhawk in .41 Mag.

have been a member of fast draw. I don't feel naked w/ a single action. I feel strong. Once you are used to it, it is second nature in your hands,

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
1. Single Action revolver grips are often designed to roll in the hand, significantly reducing recoil pain. The same .357 magnum rounds that are painful to shoot in my S&W revolver feel very soft in a Ruger single action of similar weight.

2. They don't make a double action revolver as small as the NAA mini-revolver.

3. In some states a reproduction "antique" firearm is exempt from a lot of firearms laws. In my opinion the Remington 1858 is the finest of the bunch. The Adams double action revolver could be good but I never tried it and they are not cheap.

Because I couldn't find a DA revolver in .30 Carbine... :)
Nor do they make a double action in .30-30 Winchester!

1. Single Action revolver grips are often designed to roll in the hand, significantly reducing recoil pain. The same .357 magnum rounds that are painful to shoot in my S&W revolver feel very soft in a Ruger single action of similar weight.

2. They don't make a double action revolver as small as the NAA mini-revolver.

3. In some states a reproduction "antique" firearm is exempt from a lot of firearms laws. In my opinion the Remington 1858 is the finest of the bunch. The Adams double action revolver could be good but I never tried it and they are not cheap.

Nor do they make a double action in .30-30 Winchester!
See if U can get a hold of a 5 1/2" Ruger Old Army. Unfortunately, they R not easy to find. This is the best in my opinion, especially the fixed sight opinion.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
See if U can get a hold of a 5 1/2" Ruger Old Army. Unfortunately, they R not easy to find. This is the best in my opinion, especially the fixed sight opinion.
The Ruger Old Army is a lot stronger gun and the stainless steel makes it easier, but the Remington-Beals design allows for reloading very quickly with spare cylinders compared to the Ruger Old Army in the configuration it was originally sold in. Googling it does seem that there is a modification that allows quick cylinder changes on the Ruger Old Army though made by "Belt Mountain".

Last edited:
1) Because they are cool?

2) Because horn or bone grips look weird on a glock?

3) Because plastic and aluminum frames don't do well with .458 Casull?

4) Because they never fail to extract or eject?

5) Because they are legal in gun control states?

6) Because that clickity click-clack indicates to one's belligerents that this might be a very bad idea?

7) Because straight wall cartridges are a snap to reload?

8) Because you can practice in the garage with rubber or wax bullets?

9) Because wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka-wacka is a bad idea?

9A) Because everybody and everything that stops a bullet gets charged to your account?

10) Because anybody who has ever fired a 44 magnum from a 4 inch barrel indoors knows that by itself will cause all but the most dedicated to flee?

Last edited: