Wolf Ammo

I've recently seen a sale on Wolf 223 ammo? I've heard is bad for your bolt as well as it being solid plinking ammo. Anyone have any experience?

All of my AR's run it fine. I just make sure to clean any gun I fire it through after shooting because of the huge powder clouds it causes. I have no problem at all using it. Funny thing, one of my AR's has an issue where it will only run reliably with steel ammo and jam/stove pipe with all brass ammo. Buy a couple of 20 packs and see how you like it.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I use the Wolf Gold (brass cased) 223. It does run a bit dirty when suppressed but what ammo doesn't?

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Years ago, I tried Wolf steel cased. Three failure to extract in 100 rds. I had to knock them out with a cleaning rod!

I still have the offending cases. They are obviously out of spec where they neck down, and not all the same. Three different readings with a caliper.

Calls to Wolf got nowhere. So at least for me, even if their QC has improved . . .NO MORE STEEL, period!

Last edited:
I use wolf in a beater AR I have. Works fine. Cheap gun so I don't care about wear on the bolt. Compare the amount of ammo you might shoot wearing out the bolt and the savings from shooting steel to the cost of a new bolt. Bolts are cheap.

Of course, if it doesn't feed reliably, that's a different story. One way to look at it though is practice for clearing malfunctions.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
[MENTION=21295]DillPill[/MENTION] is your question about Wolf Gold (brass cased) or their steel cased stuff - or both?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I've never shot steel except milsurp in my AKs back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
A number of videos on YouTube and some documented torture tests document the detrimental issues running steel cased ammo in any weapon. Your barrel is steel of various quality, depending on manufacturer, and running soft brass cases extends the life of the chambers and bolts. Running harder steel cased ammo will wear your parts faster. One torture test intended to run 4 identical AR's next to each others had the steel one fail completely after about 6k of the planned 10k rounds.

If you like it, and think your AR's love it, great. I'm too poor to invest in cheap ammo that will probably wreck a gun down the road.

Using the example above with 6k rounds of steel at $200 a case, your savings would be $600 if you went with a price of $300 a case for brass. A barrel is $200-300 and a bolt $80 or so. The savings are there if you want them. This assumes you are good with plinking ammo of 3 moa quality. I shoot steel case at 50 yards and in.

Gunhand

Firearms Instructor
I started buying zinc plated steel case 5.56 ammo a couple of years ago. It runs well in just about everything I have. The only weapon that I have that doesn't like it is my newly acquired Springfield Armory Saint pistol. It has a 7.5 inch barrel, and I think the ammo just doesn't have enough power to function properly. I run 55 or 62 grain ammo through just fine.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Ive actually found tulammo runw better than wolf steel case, IN MY WEAPONS. Only issue i had with tulammo was fte in a rifle length ar i built.. So i bet if the weapon is overgassed (like most of my carbines) it makes steel cased more reliable.. Just imo.

I try to stick with wolf gold, the savings on steel cased isn't worth the headache at least to me, in my ar platforms.

Im pretty sure i did a decent accuracy test with a nunch of tulammo loads. Cant find the thread but i believe the 62 grain hp was the most accurate followed by 55 grain hp.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I've recently seen a sale on Wolf 223 ammo? I've heard is bad for your bolt as well as it being solid plinking ammo. Anyone have any experience?
Many say Russian steel cased ammo is best used in the Russian guns that it was designed for. So that's the rule I have gone by, at least in most cases.

But in some belt driven American guns, the steel cases are best. Such as my 9MM Freedom Ordinance upper. With it, the steel case Russian ammo is recommended. So there are some exceptions, but not many.

-Don- Auburn, CA

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Many say Russian steel cased ammo is best used in the Russian guns that it was designed for. So that's the rule I have gone by, at least in most cases.

But in some belt driven American guns, the steel cases are best. Such as my 9MM Freedom Ordinance upper. With it, the steel case Russian ammo is recommended. So there are some exceptions, but not many.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Ive also found it stange the wolf polyformance in 9mm gives me great velocity compared to my plinking loads, men german 9mm.

I don't have experience with Wolf's .223, however even seeing a good savings at Ventura with some of their steel cased .223 I passed on it. I have had bad experiences with steel cased Wolf 5.45x39 - when I had my Tantal after warming up the barrel empty casings would get STUCK in the chamber. It happened so often I had to carry a hammer and brass rod to punch the casings out. In hindsight, I should've stopped using it the first time it happened because another round could have chambered behind the stuck casing and I would've been hurting. I definitely will not risk putting anything other than brass through my AR because of it.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I don't have experience with Wolf's .223, however even seeing a good savings at Ventura with some of their steel cased .223 I passed on it. I have had bad experiences with steel cased Wolf 5.45x39 - when I had my Tantal after warming up the barrel empty casings would get STUCK in the chamber. It happened so often I had to carry a hammer and brass rod to punch the casings out. In hindsight, I should've stopped using it the first time it happened because another round could have chambered behind the stuck casing and I would've been hurting. I definitely will not risk putting anything other than brass through my AR because of it.
Go with the wolf gold.. Brass cased and usually a really decent price point. Good for plinking.

Only issues i ever had with steel cased were in an extar, would ftf fte you name it. All my other ars seem fine with it but just not my favorite stuff when i can find wolf gold or pmc bronze on sale.. Or roll my own which for 95% of my .223 i do

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Did you chronograph this?
Sure did.

Atomic 124 +p
Glock 43

Clock 19

Fns9
X

Ventura 147 tmj hp
Glock 43