Woodworking as a Hobby?

Justified

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone do woodworking as a hobby? I just started for fun and a little stress relief and I'm teaching myself sketchup too.

A drawer my wife asked for under her sink and a cell phone stand so she can read hands free while she eats breakfast. Fun and easy.

Mooman76

Obsessed Member
I do but haven't done much in awhile. It is good stress relief. I last made a foot stool, then the granddaughter liked it so it became hers, so I ended up making another.

Not as much of a hobby as I would like. Making small cabinets and tables always seem to correspond to when I would rather be doing something else.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Been watching a ton of videos on it. I need more tools, specifically a table saw and a sliding miter saw. Wife wants me to build a shoe rack, and the design she found is more in depth than anything I've attempted. Then I'm going to built a lot more better functioning shelving in the garage.

Justified

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A shoe rack for my wife is supposed to be my next project and I started a sketchup model to lay out what I thought would work. Nice thing about sketchup is that it's free and you can easily lay out dimensions for cuts. This is important for me since I tended to screw up the measurements.

Ignore the colors. It's helping me visualize the pieces.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Cool program. I'd never heard of it.

My next project is pinewood derby! lol

I don't let the kids play with the lead we put in the body.

Justified

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's been big in architecture before Revit if I remember correctly. I don't draw anymore and haven't for years but I used AutoCAD from 1994 to 2004.

They have several templates to choose from and it's free but there is a paid version. 2018 is web only but you can find the 2017 download.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Dad and I have built several wall to wall floor to ceiling shelving units. Also built some floating shelves and a cabinet.

Justified

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I added a Wen bandsaw and a DeWalt trim router recently and I made a stand for my tablet since I broke off the plastic one on the case. About 21 years ago I made a wood framed mirror for my wife and she asked if we could stain it dark so I sanded it down and I'm looking to stain it this week. I also made a small box to hold my EDC crap and the end of the day. It's been fun so far but I still find it intimidating somehow.

I've got a Harbor Freight dust collector I'm not using if someone is interested. I'll probably put it up for sale this week.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Cool project.

I have a WEN scroll saw and WEN bench sander. Helped out with the pinewood derby car this year, although the competition bought their cars online. So much for scout's honor.

I noticed the tailstock had a bent shaft on my new lathe, presumably from shipping. Harbor Freight decided it was easier to ship back the 90 pound lathe and send a new lathe, rather than replacing the damaged part. Hope to have the replacement this week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4D5

uber Member
Woodworking has been one of my main hobbies, even more so since I retired a little over a year ago. I have been doing woodworking since I was but a wee lad. I pretty much have a fully equipped shop in the three car garage. Cabinet saw, compound mitre saw, jointer, bandsaw, lathe, planer, routers, bench sander, spindle sander, drill press, bunch of drills and hand power tools, wall full of clamps, 60 gallon air compressor, Festool track saw and guides, hand plane till and a workbench I recently finished.

Workbench

Walnut cutting board Christmas gift

Oak table for a friend

Lie Nielsen hand plane till

Oak bookcase with adjustable shelves

Justified

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow!!! That's a nice setup and nice pieces. I'm relegated to a small section of a two car garage. I have about an 8 x 16 work area and I'm just building it up. Hopefully I can add some nice pieces in the near future.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
That's awesome!

For me, I don't have the skill or time required for woodworking, especially on that level.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PonyDriver

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I’ve been woodworking for over 30 years. Have had a full shop set up in the garage for over 24 years. Last summer we bought a new house and moved and I still haven’t set up the shop at the new house yet. Just ordered some Mobile tool bases so I can get started next week. Can’t wait to get back to building something. The first item on the list is a display care for the Henry Goldenboy I bought for my Grandson.

And 4D5 I love the hand planes. You have more money invested in hand planes than most have in their table saws.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
My grandfather has a s*** ton of antique wood planes. Probably around 50, everything from 3 feet long to 4x1/2 inch.
Oh and no he never used any of them, just one of his collections.

Justified

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Planes are just plain cool. I have a block plane from my Dad and I'm looking to get more. First I need to learn how to sharpen it because it's really dull. The Lie Nielsen planes are some of the very best. Probably too nice for me as a caveman hobbyist.