• Las Vegas Shooting Center - Customer Appreciation Day 10/19/2019! - CLICK HERE for details!

Your light "mountain rifle/zcope combo?

Nevada mens "mountain" in Spanish so the lighter the load we have to carry around in this state the better.
If you have a mountain rifle what is it and what is the scope?

Eric B.

Last edited:

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
It means snow-capped, actually, which does imply the mountains, yes.

My light packing rifle is a built AR SBR in 300 Blackout with a Burris FastFire III red dot.

Now if you give me a specific job in those mountains, I might choose a different rifle. For hunting or even a different mood I'm in would have me grabbing the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in 308. It currently wears a compact Leupold 2-7X.

Gents,

MAC, Your excellent Ruger Gunsite with laminated stock (heavily copied by Tikka for their Canadian Ranger rifle) is absolutely top notch. The Leoupy 2 -7 x is perfect for forward mounting on a Scout type rifle.
As for your AR, well, I have A Steyr AUG and doubt if I'd ever carry that hunting with the possible exception of coyote.

Gull, Tikka's are known for two things, accuracy and good triggers. With the Buckmaster scope that is a deadly combo.

Eric B.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
But, but, an AR is a WEAPON OF WAR!!!!!
He had a reason to declare war on Elk:

Elk Slayer said:
Fritz! Fritz, get up for God's sake! Get up! They've killed Fritz! They've killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking over-sized plague carriers! Those horrible atrocity-filled vermin! Those despicable animal warmongers! They've killed Fritz! Take that! Take this! Take that, you deviant not-a-moose! You black hearted, hairy, long-legged...
/nerding out :)

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
An AR, especially in 300, is some bad medicine for deer and hogs. Especially for a person that hunts where the hogs are thick.

I made the mistake of walking into pig woods with a deer load. (12g semi, Not enough ammo and capacity, only 5 slugs). Fired 4 rounds, 3 pigs down and only one slug left. There was still the bigger one running around. I was hoping he’d pop out again, but he cried a little for the others and took off.

That’s why you carry more than 5 rounds, and if possible an AR. ;)

Personally, I am not fond of the 556/223 for deer, but head shots on hogs work. And some folks swear by it. Just not me. But not every ar is 223/556.

No mountain rifle here. Just an older 700 bdl 3006. Forget scope brand, buts it’s only 3x9-40

I’d like to get the ar back to ga to bust a few hogs though. That’s fun!

Gents,

MAC, Your excellent Ruger Gunsite with laminated stock (heavily copied by Tikka for their Canadian Ranger rifle) is absolutely top notch. The Leoupy 2 -7 x is perfect for forward mounting on a Scout type rifle.
As for your AR, well, I have A Steyr AUG and doubt if I'd ever carry that hunting with the possible exception of coyote.

Gull, Tikka's are known for two things, accuracy and good triggers. With the Buckmaster scope that is a deadly combo.

Eric B.

Zombies??? In the mountains???? Colt Match Target with Leupold Mark-6 1-6x20mm TMR-D Reticle. (these work excellent in very low light)

Or anything else smaller +/- 800 yards :) Past 800 yards or strong winds my PSA .224 Valkyrie is my 1st choice. Plenty light, reasonable cost to shoot, superbly accurate WAY out there! At closer ranges they both will take down most edible critters found in southern Nevada.

Colt Match Target.JPG