• Las Vegas Shooting Center - Customer Appreciation Day 10/19/2019! - CLICK HERE for details!

Zone 121 hunting.

I came up to Ely, Nv to do some mule deer hunting. We went to the mountains behind Cherry Creek and found plenty of signs of elk, mountain lion, horses, and very little amount of deer. Trying to see if anyone has any other suggestions on where to go where there might actually be some deer? Spent 3 days there and didnt see one deer!

STS Hunter

Very Active Member
Do you have 121 or 221? I sent info for 121, then you changed your request to 221 and got good responses on that and now you are asking how about 121 again.

Old timers refer to hunt areas by the first two digits a lot so it can be confusing at first. This is why on hunt maps it shows in the Northwest corner of the state an area numbered 011. That is area 1 and it is subdivided into areas 011 012 013 + 014.

Cherry Creek is in area 12 (121), and south of Ely is area 22.

Do you have 121 or 221? I sent info for 121, then you changed your request to 221 and got good responses on that and now you are asking how about 121 again.

Old timers refer to hunt areas by the first two digits a lot so it can be confusing at first. This is why on hunt maps it shows in the Northwest corner of the state an area numbered 011. That is area 1 and it is subdivided into areas 011 012 013 + 014.

Cherry Creek is in area 12 (121), and south of Ely is area 22.
I did post a few months about 121 originally. I got mixed up and changed it to 221. Probably because I applied for elk in 221. Thanks for the info though

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Typically, mule deer have no real reason to come down to the foothills until snow forces them down or feed is better (like an ag field or serviceberries down below, etc). They stay above the treeline otherwise. There are muleys that always break the rules though, so use your glass more than your feet when scouting.

Did you draw a late season (into November) tag? If so, I would wait until the last week if possible. The bucks will be a little more mobile during the day and will start to have thoughts of procreation on their minds thus defenses will be down slightly.

Good luck! My buddy drew a late rifle tag in that unit so I'll be out there with him.