• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

(2/9/24 8th Update - 3 AAC .308 Boxes) Range Report: Palmetto State Armory - AAC (America's Ammunition Company) ammo (5.56 and 300BLK)

jsprads

Active member (5.56mm)
You waiting on the 69 grain stuff that AAC has now? While I don't have the extensive collection you have, I've about settled on the 75 grain blade black tip, since it gives me under 2" 10 shot groupings with not the steadiest rest and shooting fairly quickly. I'm sure it'll be somewhat more accurate when I slow down and set up my rest properly.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
You waiting on the 69 grain stuff that AAC has now?
In my cart right now I have:

- 75gr and 55gr Sabre Blade
- 69gr OTM
- 70gr Barnes TSX
- 69gr SMK

I keep missing them all in stock at the same time (trying to not pay stupid $9 shipping for a box of ammo :) ). Right now the 55gr Sabre blade is OOS. :(

jsprads

Active member (5.56mm)
In my cart right now I have:

- 75gr and 55gr Sabre Blade
- 69gr OTM
- 70gr Barnes TSX
- 69gr SMK

I keep missing them all in stock at the same time (trying to not pay stupid $9 shipping for a box of ammo :) ). Right now the 55gr Sabre blade is OOS. :(
Gotta say, I like them having all this variety and keeping the prices down. 55 cents a round for a polymer tipped bullet that expands/fragments pretty well. Just finding all of them in stock at once to make shipping worth it can be fun....

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
And they have 6.5 Creedmoor now. Kinda surprised not to see 308 in their lineup.
.308 is sooooo 1980's.
Scheels here is pretty much the same
Very limited .308 lots of 6.5 ammo and guns

jsprads

Active member (5.56mm)
And there's 308 on the site now, man PSA is really trying to go past the wallet and straight for the bank account. On a more related note, got a bunch of the 75 grain black tip and was putting up sub-2MOA groups on steel at 300 yards once I had my drop figured out (4MOA at 300 yards). Very pleased with this load for my rifle.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
And there's 308 on the site now.
Bugger. I'll probably need to order some to try out in my .308 bolt action.

Still haven't had a chance to get to the range to test the last batch of 5.56 I ordered. Well, I've been the range, but doing other things, or I get a windy morning. I'll get it done though.

Edit: all OOS right now. I put 'notify me' messages for all of the 4 .308 that they have listed currently.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Out this morning to (finally) get this latest batch of new AAC ammo tested. 5 new batches of PSA's AAC offerings.

I was just wrapping up the last few groups when I saw Mac's Candy Van roll by behind me so I had to stop for a few minutes say hi to him and his friend. Now that I think of it his 'friend' was blinking a bit rapidly, perhaps he was signaling for help... ;)

Batches tested today:
AAC 5.56 70gr Barnes TSX - $1.00 / round
AAC 5.56 75gr Sabre Blade Black Tip - $0.55 / round
AAC 5.56 55gr Sabre Blade Black Tip - $0/50 / round
AAC 5.56 69gr Sierra Match King - $0.75 / round
AAC 5.56 69gr OTM - $0.53 / round (I labelled all the pic results as 69gr HPBT, sorry)

AmmoBoxes_092823_1.jpg

Irritating to find a defect projectile in the buck-a-round TSX when I first opened it.
Defect TSX_2.jpg

Ruger American Ranch 16" 5.56 - Nikon M223 3-12x (@10x) optic

RARR_AAC_Summary_092823.jpg

RARR16 556 AAC AmmoBatches 092823.jpg

AAC 70gr Barnes TSX: I had no expectations for this round as it was the first Barnes 70gr TSX that I have shot. The RARR seems to agree with it reasonably well brining in a base 0.45MOA. Given how fussy the RARR can be the TSX comes in substantially under current costs for factory Hornady Match (and still under the street price for my reference zero 75gr Hornady Frontier). Not too shabby.

AAC 75gr Sabre Blade Black Tip: The first of the two batches of "Sabre Blade" ammo tested today, it turned in a reasonable 0.84MOA result with the RARR. At 55 cents a round that is not bad at all for a 'premium' load, particularly in a market where bulk 5.56 is still running 41'ish cents a round (before rebates).

AAC 55gr Sabre Blade Black Tip: The lightest of the 'Sabre Blade' loads by PSA this turned in a not terrible 0.81MOA result with the RARR. Given my RARR seems to loath light 5.56 projectiles I was pretty surprised at this sub-MOA result. At 50 cents a round not terrible for its use of a 'premium' projectile.

AAC 69gr Sierra Match King: I was hoping for better results with this load, but at 1.19MOA the RAR didn't dislike the load, but it was nothing to write home about. At 75 cents a round it isn't bad, but not exciting for this rifle.

ACC 69gr OTM: I think this is the first time the generic OTM load has done better than the SMK load at the same grain weight with the RARR. At 0.84MOA and 53 cents per found its not bad at all. Might still take the 75gr Sabre Blade over this for 2 cents more for the heavier Black Tip projectile. Toss up really.

18" Aero/BA build 223Wylde - Nikon M223 2-8x optic (@7x)

18BA Premium_AAC_Summary_092823.jpg
BA18Premium 556 AAC AmmoBatches 092823.jpg

AAC 70gr Barnes TSX: Bringing in a 0.93MOA result the BA-barreled upper did okay with that load, but not outstanding for the buck-a-round price (which compared to normal 'premium match' ammo is actually not bad, but compared to most of PSAs premium offerings is at the top of their 5.56 load price range per round. PSA's own AAC 55gr V-Max turned in outstanding results in prior tests as well. Note that this is purely when considered for this barreled upper. As can be seen, above, the TSX performed significantly better with the ammo-picky RARR.

AAC 75gr Sabre Blade Black Tip: As with the RARR, the BA-barreled upper turned in reasonable results with the 55 cents-per-round 75gr Sabre Blade. At 0.84MOA the result is good overall for the heavy 'premium' load.

AAC 55gr Sabre Blade Black Tip: The light Sabre Blade load turned in a higher-than-expected result of 1.55MOA. I ran a 2nd group to see if I was being a dolt, but it came back with roughly the same results. Not sure why the BA-barrel doesn't particularly care for this load as it is generally friendly with lighter loads. Shrug and move on.

AAC 69gr Sierra Match King: AT 0.87MOA this was a decent result for the BA-barrel, just nothing exciting. At 55 cents per round its not bad, but I'm spoiled with the BA barrel's performance with cheap PMC loads (as said previously).

ACC 69gr OTM: Coming in just a hair sub-MOA (at 0.98MOA) the OTM round is what it is. If I combine its performance with the RARR it would not be a bad 'shared' load between the two rifles. I'm curious to see how this performs in one of my 12.5" SBRs when I get around to it.

To be fair, compared to some of the prior AAC 5.56 tested, today's results are significantly 'better' as an average of the boxes tested. Most are sub-MOA, which, for the cost of the factory rounds tested, is not bad at all. Keep in mind that my results are anecdotal and particular to the rifles used. It is guaranteed that running these in various different factory rifles will produce differing results (as will the cold, steady hand of a pro-shooter :) ).

I believe I have now 'tested' all of PSA's AAC 5.56 offerings (with the exception of their 55gr and 62gr FMJ offerings). Hopefully those tests were helpful (or at least entertaining) for some folks. I will probably run this last batch of ammo through one of my 12.5" SBRs to see how they do, but that might be a few weeks until that happens. I specifically picked up a 2nd batch of the AAC 55gr V-Max to test a different batch and see if it still performs well. If so I may be picking up a case (or two) of that for my "bathtub-o-boolits".

I still have a few 300BLK loads to try out and hope to get to them in time. Thanks to @jsprads I've got all of PSA's new AAC .308 offerings sitting in a 'remind me' queue for when it comes back in stock. Hopefully I can grab them all at once and save a bit on shipping :)

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Looks like PSA is up to 7 different varieties of .308 now (from just 4 a few weeks ago).

I got an in stock notice on one and picked up the three varieties that were in stock at the moment to get started with testing those out.

1696437177506.png

Last edited:

jsprads

Active member (5.56mm)
How's the 308 shooting? I liked the 75 grain stuff enough to be up to 1000 rounds stashed away for some poor coyotes in my area. The brass seems pretty good as well, so will reload it as I shoot the ammo.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
How's the 308 shooting? I liked the 75 grain stuff enough to be up to 1000 rounds stashed away for some poor coyotes in my area. The brass seems pretty good as well, so will reload it as I shoot the ammo.
Had not gotten around to testing the boxes of .308 that I ordered. To be frank I put them in the cabinet intending to get back to them and forgot about them. Then I'd see them and think "I need to get out and test these", then promptly forget about them again... :oops:

I did order a case of the 75gr Saber Blade when it was on sale as I've had no luck in sourcing any new Hornady and the 75gr Saber Blade works well enough, particularly given its price point.

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Thanks to @jsprads for reminding me about the AAC .308 boxes. Out this morning to test those boxes and throw in a handful of other .308 I have around.

Platform:
- Savage Model 10PC bolt action - 20" barrel - 1:10 twist
- Vortex Viper PST 2-10x44@10x
- Rifle was not zeroed for each new ammo. It is zeroed for its baseline load (noted below) and shot 'as is' for groups based on bullseye aim.

Batches tested today:
AAC 150gr Saber Blade Black Tip - $0.85 / round
AAC 168gr Sierra Match King - $1.05 / round
AAC 150gr FMJBT - $0.72 / round
A handful of other .308 I have around for comparison that I picked up in the past to see what the rifle 'liked' (or didn't like as the case may be).

Again, these are simple 3-shot groups to give a basic idea of performance and are only demonstrative of the rifle used in combination with the ammo tested. 5/10-shot groups would be appropriate for full-testing of rifle and ammo. I'd actually like to see someone else test this ammo on their .308 test bed as the rifle used in this test is my GP .308 bolt gun and I'd like to see how other OE's platforms compare. I'd be happy to pass along the ammo I used for someone else to test.

1_308 Ammo Tested.jpg

Apologies for the messy target. I tend to use my papers for quite a while before repapering. But you've probably figured that out by now :)
2_Full Target.jpg

This is my first use of OnTarget TDS software. Should be nicer than my ruler that you've had to put up with through the course of this thread. I have to say I don't know why I didn't pick it up sooner.
3_Groups.jpg

0 - Reference Zero - 147gr MEN Surplus Bi-Metal FMJ: This is what the rifle is zero'd with for the majority of the year (when I'm not using it for other purposes). This surplus German MEN ammo is impressively good. I bought a boat-load of this in those 'battle pack' 200 round packaging years ago and it has done yeoman's work in this rifle, and very well in my old DPMS308, and Galil ACE 308. This rifle just really likes this (once-cheap) old surplus and I'm not going to question it. Sadly, I'm running down to my last few battlepacks.

1- AAC 150gr Sabre Blade Black Tip: At 2.6'ish MOA the rifle didn't particularly care for this loading. As said above, I'd love to see this tested in someone else's setup to see how it does for a different platform. Price has gone up 5c/round since I picked up a bit back.

2 - AAC 168gr Sierra Match King: At 0.9MOA its okay for a factory load and price point. If you reload you should be able to handload a better round for less with a different projectile. Of note, however, is it preformed comparably to the Australian Outback (#5 below), which is more spendy than PSA's offering with the same projectile.

3 - AAC 150gr FMJBT: At 1.9'ish MOA the rifle liked it more than the pricier Sabre Blade in the same weight, but still nothing great. Price has gone up 7c/round since I picked this up a bit back

4 - Magtech 147gr FMJ M80 Ball: I picked up a few cases of this for 'range day ammo' many years back when it was cheap. None of my .308 rifles particular care for it, however, it serves its originally intended purpose as range day ammo. Right around 2.0 MOA is where it usually groups, so a return of 1.9'ish for this round was right 'on target'. :)

5 - Australian Outback 168gr Sierra Match King: Someone gave a box of this to me years ago as a 'thank you' for something. Its just been sitting around so I figured I'd toss it in the lot today. At 1.1'ish MOA performance from this rifle I'd really like to see how it performs in something else. It's fairly spendy ammo. Maybe I'll give it to one of my buddies and see what they can get from it in a different platform.

6 - Federal Power-Shock 180gr Soft Point: When I was looking at a handful of hunting rounds years back I picked this up as part of that testing. Today's results are right were expected: Not great. At 1.825MOA it was eclipsed by its lighter 150gr sibling in testing (see #7, below).

7 - Federal Power-Shock 150gr Soft Point: Same as #6, above, I picked this up as part of that testing. Today's results are, again, right in the ballpark of what I have come to expect from this factory load at 0.735MOA (in this rifle). As a counterpoint, my DPMS-pattern .308 loathed this load, however.

8 - MFS 147gr FMJ (Zinc-Washed Case):This is what I picked up years ago to run in my .308 AK-pattern rifles. It was cheap, runs like a top, and just peachy for range day applications. The Savage PC10 has never particularly cared for it, though its not terrible at for cheap steel-cased ammo. My Galil ACE .308 likes this ammo well enough and makes for less than bank-breaking range days when I bring that out. :)

If I can get one of my buddies that have a AR10/DPMS308 to loan me their upper I'll probably get back out to the range to grab some results. I don't have a .308 upper any longer, just my 6.5CM upper for my 308 lower. I may also grab some of the other loadings in .308 that PSA is offering in their AAC branding. I'd like to have another platform to test on if I do grab some, however.

Last edited:

jsprads

Active member (5.56mm)
I unfortunately have yet to find the load for my baby .308. Everything so far ends up around 1.5-3 moa. Which works fine for shortish range since it's only a 12.5" barrel. Up next I'm going to handload 125 grain speer TNT bullets, and as long as accuracy is acceptable (2 MOA or under) it'll be my go to loading.