• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

6.5 x 47 Lapua

Klaatu

Anyone here use the 6.5 x 47 Lapua cartridge? If you do, would like to hear from you. I am putting together a rifle using this cartridge and was just looking to learn a bit more about other's experience with it, tuning, chambering specs, etc.

Phil

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
i shot 3 or 4 barrels in 65x47...if i was ever to go back to a 65 itd without question be a 47.
varget or H4350 cci450s with lapua or peterson brass and 140 berger hybrids(all of which are hard to find right now)is the easy button in the 47 but then the 47 is not finicky and will shoot just about anything well.

as far as a chamber or reamer specs id suggest a .295-.296 neck and .150-.180 freebore...im a firm believe in farther off the lands shoots better and stays more consistent through the life of the barrel.

tuning is simple....get a 100ish rounds through it to get the barrel up to speed then run a charge weight/velocity test pick your velocity then tune with seating depth...id start at .030 off the lands if it dont shoot move back .010 at a time to .070-.080 off for your seating test...for break in id run .050 off with light-ish loads...assuming your running a 140 grain bullet 2750fps is a sweet spot...2800-2850 for a 130g bullet.

a little more info would help narrow things down...biggest thing is whats the gun going to be used for?

Klaatu

Thanks for your comments. I am uncertain on which bullets to use, as I do not yet know what distances are available to me where I can shoot in a non-competition environment. I am in the southern part of the Carson Valley, but would drive an hour or so to get to a good shooting venue. I would like to shoot at 600 - 1000 yards or so. If I can do that, I would likely opt for the 140 Berger bullets. If shorter range, then lighter bullets.

A gunsmith that will work with me has a .288" reamer, mandating neck turning, not what I wish to do. A snug neck fit is ok, meaning a .293" reamer will do, but .295" would probably be fine as well.

Appropriate freebore also hinges on bullets used, bullet seating depth, and OAL vs magazine length. I tend to agree with this pro shooter in the vide below, though I have no personal experience to say whether what he says he right or wrong.

I do know I want some room to play with bullet seating depth (to the extent my magazine allows), and having relatively roomy freebore would allow that. I do not want to extend bullet seating depth only to find out I have jammed the round hard into the lands (or find the round will not fit in the magazine).

The rifle being built is just for target shooting (paper and steel) off a bench or prone. My objective is top accuracy. I do have a chronograph for velocity measurement. The rifle will be shot off a bipod or a front mechanical rest (benchrest).

Thank you,

Phil

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
so heres the deal with bigger jumps or longer freebore.....imagine you build a load it shoots outstanding at say .010 off the lands but during your seating tests it starts to open up at .020 off...so a .010 change in seating and your load is at the point of needing to be re-tuned to stay accurate and consistent...010 is somewhere between 200 and 500 rounds of throat erosion.

so now lets say your load during your seating test shoots good from .050 off to .080 off...now you have a load that is way more forgiving and way more consistent and will most likely last the life of the barrel and your not chasing/tweaking your load every 500ish rounds just add a little powder as velocity starts to drop off.

a .288 reamer is neck turn tight neck reamer if your new to this and do not have the tools to turn necks i strongly suggest you either buy of rent a reamer that is no turn neck...as far as freebore goes you can build a dummy round and your smith can set the freebore to exactly where you want it to be.

bullets...no matter what distance your shooting if your goal is top accuracy then bergers are what you want to shoot...the 130 hybrids are fantastic bullets i shot them in several barrels the 140 hybrids are better...the other bullet id suggest is the 140 berger long range boat tail target...berger bullets are the closest thing to custom bullets you can buy...theres been a LOT of records set with berger bullets.

if your plan is to shoot bench rest or F-class with this rifle then feeding from a mag should not be a major concern as both of these are single feed type matches anyway....if you do plan to mag feed at times id suggest you build a dummy round with the bullet your going to shoot and set it where you want it then have your smith set the freebore accordingly.

again the 6.5x47 is NOT a finicky cartridge its is very easy to load for and very accurate...also you should have no problem finding 600-1000yds near you if you cant hit me up.

Last edited: