• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Altamont Grips on Revolvers

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Update 7/24 i updated the thread title to reflect the recent posts. Scroll down for new pictures.
------------
Won some sweet trash panda side panel walnut grips from gunbroker for $30!
Gives the 686 a whole new attitude. The fit is good, and the finish is excellent. I have largish hands. Long skinny palms and fingers make it awkward to hold most guns. The palm swell is a much better fit for my hand than the factory rubber, and the look is ten fold improved.
Altamont makes good stuff. Ill be ordering more in the future.

0331212015e.jpg

0331212010.jpg

0331212008.jpg

0331211957.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I’ve been thinking about replacing my model 19 grips. I’ll have to take a look at Altamonts.
Cool album covers too!

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Very nice! I’ve been thinking about replacing my model 19 grips. I’ll have to take a look at Altamonts.
Cool album covers too!
Thanks! I needed something to make a good background. Haha

Their products on the website are definitely affordable for the quality. They get some really cool stuff on their gunbroker though if you dont mind taking a chance of a small blemish. They seem to sell their factory seconds, damaged, and blemished products on GB starting at a penny and with no reserve. On these i suspect its because of a small hairline blemish in the edge of the oval.
The raccoon is actually etched into the faux ivory (i think thats the material) and colored second. This looks almost like something just slipped during the process, and its nearly unnoticeable.
For just $30 after s&h its definitely not going to make me cry.
These are "Super Walnut"
I really want some similar N frames in super rosewood to help preserve the more period correct grips on my old mod28 for when i do go shoot it, and also because im extremely tacky.

Lemme replenish some of my .38 supplies (cant find .357 at ALL) and we should go choot'em some time! I wanna see your boy too! Been too long.

Thanks! I needed something to make a good background. Haha

Their products on the website are definitely affordable for the quality. They get some really cool stuff on their gunbroker though if you dont mind taking a chance of a small blemish. They seem to sell their factory seconds, damaged, and blemished products on GB starting at a penny and with no reserve. On these i suspect its because of a small hairline blemish in the edge of the oval.
The raccoon is actually etched into the faux ivory (i think thats the material) and colored second. This looks almost like something just slipped during the process, and its nearly unnoticeable.
For just $30 after s&h its definitely not going to make me cry.
These are "Super Walnut"
I really want some similar N frames in super rosewood to help preserve the more period correct grips on my old mod28 for when i do go shoot it, and also because im extremely tacky.

Lemme replenish some of my .38 supplies (cant find .357 at ALL) and we should go choot'em some time! I wanna see your boy too! Been too long.
Thanks for the info. I’ll check out GB.
Like you’re doing I want to preserve my original grips.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
I own several pairs of Altamont grips, good quality all around. I really like their bonded ivory
I had to google this. I didnt know the difference. So i guess bonded ivory is actual ivory but formed from a ground ivory dust. Neat.

Love the way smooth grips look, but hate shooting with them. Especially shooting fast, like ICORE.
I unfortunately do not have the budget to shoot fast. That would make sense though. You'd want some extra grip for improved handling between targets.

I actually have a second set that i also ordered for this that its sporting now but i havent had a chance to get pictures yet.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
I tried the textured grips for a little bit but just dont like the feel. I guess im in the "bar of soap" crowd for grip prefference.

The new N frame grips are "Super Rosewood" and again i love the side panel. The color on these is gorgeous. I love the look on the satin blue finish of the model 28.

0421211909.jpg

Screenshot_20210417-162824.png

0415212138.jpg

0415212137a.jpg

Luxom

Obsessed Member
So... Hows that thing go about pearl grips on revolvers?? I need a badder cane now.

All these were factory seconds. I paid too much for the k frames ($49 after shipping and extortion) but wanted these.
I got the pearl N frames for $18.50
The ivory rough rider grips were a little over $7 but i won them on a penny bid.

0724211711a.jpg

0724211709c.jpg

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
What model and barrel length is that bottom revolver? Good looking piece.
It’s a 65, 3” round butt. In my humble opinion, you will not find a better carry/fightin’ revolver than a 3” round butt k frame.

This and the model 13 in the same configuration were the last FBI issued revolvers in the 80’s before a full on switch to semi autos. One of the agents in the Miami shootout was carrying a model 13 as such.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Im partial to square frames for aesthetic and 4" minimums for velocity sake. At that rate i figure the extra little weight of the L frame is inconsequential.
If i were doing more speed shooting or carried concealed that would probably be a little different though.

I DO like the proportions of a k frame better than L or N frame based on looks though. Thats a sweet gun Marn

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
It’s a 65, 3” round butt. In my humble opinion, you will not find a better carry/fightin’ revolver than a 3” round butt k frame.

This and the model 13 in the same configuration were the last FBI issued revolvers in the 80’s before a full on switch to semi autos. One of the agents in the Miami shootout was carrying a model 13 as such.
Thanks for the info. Oddly, I have never owned a revolver but may have to change that this year. The 3" looks a good size.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Thanks for the info. Oddly, I have never owned a revolver but may have to change that this year. The 3" looks a good size.
there aren’t too many offerings in 3” these days for new guns.

check out the Carry Comp if you’d like a new gun. Same configuration but with adjustable sights and a compensated barrel :) they also make a 2.5”

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-19-0

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I used to carry the 3" S&W 19-7 Carry Comp, from back in the day when their "Performance Center" was more than just a label and actually meant a very nicely built gun. I will NEVER carry a ported gun for self-defense again. The blast of a .357 will be directed to your face in many close encounters and even when outstretched in a normal firing stance, it will still be extremely debilitating to unprotected ears. You do not need the recoil and muzzle flip reduction in a self defense scenario nearly as much as you need your senses. I'd wager a significant portion of my permanent hearing loss was from only a few shots I did with that gun without hearing protection.

As for 2.5" v 3", the latter gives you a full-size ejector rod, which is handy if you're gonna do much practice with it.