• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Altamont Grips on Revolvers

Bob R

Yeah, S&W had a hiccup in their model numbers when they decided they'd better start doing something consistent, but by then, they already had some models that didn't follow the system.

So a 627 and 629 are stainless versions of the 27 and 29, but the 610 isn't a 10.

Tangent: The world's first production stainless steel handgun (maybe gun) was the S&W 60, and stainless version of the 36, and that started their "let's put a 6 in it somewhere for stainless."

Let's not forget the 646, a stainless revolver chambered in their special ammo, the 40 S&W. They already had a 640 so that couldn't be used and about the only thing left for the stainless 40 cal was a 6 and the 4 for the caliber but we already had the 640 and a 645 would really confuse people so let's just throw another 6 on there and call it good. Then was born the lesser known 646. :)

bob

Luxom

Obsessed Member
Oops.. Im just dyslexic i guess. I know what a 610 is. Ive been looking at them because 40 has been so common round these parts during this shortage. I somehow missed he said 610 and read it "mod 10" instead. Lol

Sportsmans in henderson had one for like six months.

Let's not forget the 646, a stainless revolver chambered in their special ammo, the 40 S&W. They already had a 640 so that couldn't be used and about the only thing left for the stainless 40 cal was a 6 and the 4 for the caliber but we already had the 640 and a 645 would really confuse people so let's just throw another 6 on there and call it good. Then was born the lesser known 646. :)

bob
Wait... Did they make the 646 first? Am i confused in thinking a 610 can fire 40sw? I thought it was sort of like 10mm is to 357mag as 40sw is to 38spl
No???

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
...Am i confused in thinking a 610 can fire 40sw? I thought it was sort of like 10mm is to 357mag as 40sw is to 38spl
No???
The 610 is stated to be safe for firing .40. But it's an interesting case, because .38 and .357 headspace on the rim. .40 and 10mm are both rimless, and the .40 relies on the moon clip to hold it in position and there isn't the same kind of pressure seal.

Luxom

Obsessed Member
The 610 is stated to be safe for firing .40. But it's an interesting case, because .38 and .357 headspace on the rim. .40 and 10mm are both rimless, and the .40 relies on the moon clip to hold it in position and there isn't the same kind of pressure seal.
Yeah im aware of the moonclip deal but im okay with that. Just need a lot more moon clips.

Bob R

Oops.. Im just dyslexic i guess. I know what a 610 is. Ive been looking at them because 40 has been so common round these parts during this shortage. I somehow missed he said 610 and read it "mod 10" instead. Lol

Sportsmans in henderson had one for like six months.

Wait... Did they make the 646 first? Am i confused in thinking a 610 can fire 40sw? I thought it was sort of like 10mm is to 357mag as 40sw is to 38spl
No???
The 610 can fire 40 S&W just fine. Other than competition I can't think of any reason to have a revolver dedicated to 40 S&W, and it seems a lot of people thought that also because the 646 didn't last very long.

The 610 is also just fine shooting the 10mm Mag which could make it a 3 cartridge gun if you were so inclined to get the cylinder reamed out for the longer case of the 10mm Mag.

bob

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
...The 610 is also just fine shooting the 10mm Mag which could make it a 3 cartridge gun if you were so inclined to get the cylinder reamed out for the longer case of the 10mm Mag.
You'd give up the ability to fire normal 10mm without a moon clip, which I'm assuming you can do now. I can fire normal .45 ACP in my S&W 625 without a moon clip, but you just have to pick the brass out with your fingers.

That was an interesting article, but he had me shaking my head at this one:
I have had perfectly good results loading 10MM Magnum brass using both Lyman and RCBS 10MM carbide dies. Such is not the case when trying to load 9MM Magnum brass with 9MM Parabellum dies. The carbide sizing die sizes both 10MM and 10MAG brass full length with no reloading problems surfacing. Use of 9MM carbide dies shrinks the 9MAG brass at the neck excessively.
He doesn't mention (or maybe know) the obvious reason why. The 9mm Parabellum is a tapered case. So trying to use its sizing die on a longer cartridge is of course going to give you sizing issues. The entire 10mm family is straight-wall.

Bob R

You'd give up the ability to fire normal 10mm without a moon clip, which I'm assuming you can do now. I can fire normal .45 ACP in my S&W 625 without a moon clip, but you just have to pick the brass out with your fingers.

I am not sure about that one, I have always used moon clips, much easier. I will have to see how my dummy rounds work without the moon clip.

bob

Altamont has great grips of every kind for every pistol/revolver under the sun at good prices. Bought white pearl for my Delta Elite, also getting the Redwood cherry grips to.

Bob R

Altamont has great grips of every kind for every pistol/revolver under the sun at good prices. Bought white pearl for my Delta Elite, also getting the Redwood cherry grips to.
It is a shame they don't have any DE emblems to put in the grips. I really like their wood/ivory or wood/pearl for the 1911.

bob

Luxom

Obsessed Member
I won a set of pearl j grips thatll be here in a few days. Will update with fit and finish when they arrive. Wife really likes these ivories either way and theyll be staying on it but I'm interested to compare the pearl between the few grips i have now. These are all "secondary" auction grips so theyre all not quite perfect.

0906212000a.jpg

Luxom

Obsessed Member
These fit excellently. No issues i can find. They look pretty good as well. Im keeping an eye out for a 442pc to put these on and keep the rosies on the lady.
I also love these ivories on the heritage. Still can't believe i won them on a penny bid.
The market seems to be picking up on these though and I'm noticing prices creeping higher every week.
Ill probably be selling some of the one's that Ive used less soon. Watch for them in the trading post.

Screenshot_20210911-164108.png

0911211315.jpg

0911211314.jpg