• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Bird Hunting

VZ3

I want to go get some birds and have never hunted them in Southern Nevada before. Any advice on which spots to check out. Any advice is appreciated.

doz

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Anywhere away from the big cities. Lots of small game a couple hours away. Anything within an hour of Vegas is tough and slim pickins.

VZ3

Thank you guys for the advice I looked at a few things and Ill try to make a trip out beginning of next month. My best friend is going to Sioux Falls S Dakota I don't have time to go out this year.

I’ve been out a couple times with no luck. Lots of sign and places where I’ve seen bird before. But they weren’t around. I go out on either Thursdays or Friday since those are my days off. Let me know if you want to go with one time I don’t know much not a expert but don’t mind helping with what I can.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I’ve been out a couple times with no luck. Lots of sign and places where I’ve seen bird before. But they weren’t around. I go out on either Thursdays or Friday since those are my days off. Let me know if you want to go with one time I don’t know much not a expert but don’t mind helping with what I can.
do you have quail and chukar calls?

Thank you for the offer but I'm working on those days. My schedule is all over the place
No worries. That’s the problem I have is when I’m off everyone works. Right now I go with my ex father in law but he is about to go back to work so I’ll be solo which is fine but kinda more fun with another person or two

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
No I don’t been thinking about getting them heard a lot of mixed about using them
well..that is how you find them in a certain area, for sure. Call and listen, there is in no way a downside to calling.
Birds in different vicinity will call slightly different, but listen to Gambel Quail and chukar calling online and practice some.
Gambels usually say some variation of "chiquita"....chukar a staccato higher pitch that gets slightly lower and much slower toward the end.
Listen for a quiet "peep peep-boop boop" coming from quail, if you hear that they are very close and agitated by your presence....means start running away, talking to their buddies.
I use a jackrabbit in distress predator call for chukar, cup my hand on it to control volume...it's capable of much louder and variably pitched calls than a typical bellows-type chukar call and does double duty, of course.
If caught out without a call I can call them by whistling a mimic and it works on both birds.

Last edited:

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Cheyenne Ranch?
Eureka, by Aberdeen, west of the river. Milo fields were my favorite. If you get early in the season, the stupid young birds (tasty) will hold till you step on them. Only go after wild birds. The game farm birds won't run, won't fly, in fact they think your bringing them food.