• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Does any ffl still hold the guns for private sales?

Freedom still does. I’ve done a few with them the last few months. Also, Recon Arms says they now can hold firearms as well although I have yet to use them for a transfer.

Vegas_boy

Born and Raised In Vegas
Sheepdog in North LV was still holding the guns for a PPT.

BUT…they charge $30 for the transfer (per gun) PLUS $25 for the BGC.

To make matters worse, if the potential buyer does not pass the bcg, in order for you to take your own guns back you would have to pay $25 to have a background check done on yourself in order for them to release em back to you.

To make matters worse, if the potential buyer does not pass the bcg, in order for you to take your own guns back you would have to pay $25 to have a background check done on yourself in order for them to release em back to you.
I maybe wrong, but as I understand, that is exactly the correct procedure if the FFL has entered the firearm into their books and has held it in their place of business.

It appears the seller of the firearm has two choices. Take the gun with him when the buyer clears or if the buyer clears return for the exchange, or if the FFL takes it into their shop and logs it into their books. Then if the buyer fails his background check..the sell may have to go through a background check themselves to reclaim their gun.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner

I have no issue with shops charging for the transfer fee , but if I recall, on person to person transfers, there is no background check fee charged to the dealer ?

Some of the shops near me do the same thing , Spurlocks , Urban Civil Defense, and I heard ( I got different answers from 2 diff employees ) that Bear Arms also charges for both , $25 for transfer , $25 for BGC.

I drive over to Ventura , There are 3 ( soon to be 4 ) gun shops within 1 mile of the house. I still drive to Ventura ( 16 miles each way ).

tbirdsc

not so n00b
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I have no issue with shops charging for the transfer fee , but if I recall, on person to person transfers, there is no background check fee charged to the dealer ?

Some of the shops near me do the same thing , Spurlocks , Urban Civil Defense, and I heard ( I got different answers from 2 diff employees ) that Bear Arms also charges for both , $25 for transfer , $25 for BGC.

I drive over to Ventura , There are 3 ( soon to be 4 ) gun shops within 1 mile of the house. I still drive to Ventura ( 16 miles each way ).
DPS DOES NOT charge the FFL $25.00 for a private party to private party sale/transfer BGC but the FFL must specify such at time of call

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Desert Fallout charges $25 for private transfer and $25 for bgc. $50 total.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
...held the gun for 3 hrs. Painless, ...
*sigh*

It's not delayed two weeks anymore, and only one of the parties has to make two trips (and lived close enough to not even count the first trip), so we now think the paperwork and fees are "painless."

The government won that round.

Last edited:

MET45

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
*sigh*

It's not two weeks anymore and only one of the parties has to make two trips (and lived close enough to not even count the first trip), so we now think it's "painless."

The government won that round.
Yup it did.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Desert Fallout charges $25 for private transfer and $25 for bgc. $50 total.
Thanks , make that another place I will avoid. Those that charge for BGC on private transfer, when they are not being charged for it, do not deserve to get our business.

There are 3 gun shops within 1 1/3 miles from my house , all 3 charge for BGC on private transfer , in addition to a transfer fee. I drive 14 miles to Ventura instead.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
...all 3 charge for BGC on private transfer , in addition to a transfer fee...
Which is actually probably unlawful. If they'd double their transfer fee (being more open about their profit on it) and didn't charge for the BGC, they'd at least be lawful about it.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Someone told me they believed it was persuade people to go elsewhere for private transfer since it is was such a pain to get thru to get the check called in. I am sure they can technically charge for it , unless they lie and claim they are charged for it also.

Hearing people paying $40 or $50 is terrible.
And on top of that having to come back when BGC clears.
The shop I use only charges $20 for the transfer, the back ground is free, and they hold the gun until buyer clears.

I think me and you are in the same area because those are closest to me as well.
You should try Big gun Enterprises, or mr pawn in Boulder City.