• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Easy to rack

Nevada Hudson

Obsessed Member
All my semi autos are too difficult for my wife to rack a round in the chamber.
Anyone know of any that are easy to rack, as my wife does not have a lot of strength in her hands.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I get clients with the same issues. The Beretta 92 is one that some have found they like. But it's a relative question, and difficult to answer without a dissertation since you didn't give us some examples for a starting point, or the type of handgun (larger and easier-to-shoot, or smaller for carrying) in question.

But I'm a big fan of revolvers. Loading is not just the only issue, but unloading, and even just checking the chamber, RELIABLY, without causing a malfunction in any of those processes.

Some students also have trouble with the trigger then on the DA revolvers. But an easy-to-use revolver, even if shooting SA, is better than poor manual-of-arms with a semi-auto. And a good 'smith can tune a revolver reliably.

Nevada Hudson

Obsessed Member
Looking for a 9mm. She had a S/W Airweight , and it hurt her hand with the recoil. Too light!
I tried the Airweight and I didn't like it either , so we sold it. This is from a person who thinks the P64 recoil is not bad.
Have a Ruger GP100 357 4 inch barrel and love it, not much recoil because it's heavy, but too big for my wife.

Nevada Hudson

Obsessed Member
A good friend of ours was murdered in her home yesterday in Gardnerville , and everyone here is on edge. Two murders in 3 days in the same area. My wife wants to be armed.

ultimatekeyboardwarrior

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Looking for a 9mm. She had a S/W Airweight , and it hurt her hand with the recoil. Too light!
I tried the Airweight and I didn't like it either , so we sold it. This is from a person who thinks the P64 recoil is not bad.
Have a Ruger GP100 357 4 inch barrel and love it, not much recoil because it's heavy, but too big for my wife.
Have you tried the S&W Shield 380 EZ yet? It may not be a 9mm but can't hurt to give it a look.

My dad has gotten to the point where racking a 9mm semi auto is a bit much for him. He can do it but not without some struggle. Then he handled the EZ and found that it was the gun for him, which was made even clearer from his first range session as well as every session with it afterward. I'd have your wife try one even though it's not a 9.

Apart from that I also vote revolver. Ruger LCR 9mm if possible since it's the caliber you're looking for. I tried one before and it made me a fan of moon clips. Nice trigger as well, and the factory grip soaks up the recoil nicely.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Have you tried the S&W Shield 380 EZ yet? It may not be a 9mm but can't hurt to give it a look.

My dad has gotten to the point where racking a 9mm semi auto is a bit much for him. He can do it but not without some struggle. Then he handled the EZ and found that it was the gun for him, which was made even clearer from his first range session as well as every session with it afterward. I'd have your wife try one even though it's not a 9.

Apart from that I also vote revolver. Ruger LCR 9mm if possible since it's the caliber you're looking for. I tried one before and it made me a fan of moon clips. Nice trigger as well, and the factory grip soaks up the recoil nicely.
Yeap. this is why the EZ bake was developed. I have seen much success using these from people who could not operate standard powered springs on other guns.
I think there is a good review on them here on the forum,,,

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
as noted, it's subjective, with each person having a different answer.

my wife works a glock 19, and doesn't have an issue.
the first learner pistol i bought here, a ruger sr22 (yeah, not the best for self defense) is super easy and she really likes it.
she didn't like the sig 938 for it's snappy recoil, i will ask her about how she likes the slide.

i had considered a sig 238 for both of us, which is .380, and the slide seems a bit easier than the 9mm version. she tried racking it a store, and said it seemed easier than the 9, but it was only a few times. not repeatedly.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Shop owner up here talks a lot of folks from Sig P938 into the P238 specifically due to it having a lighter spring and being easier to rack. I would also check out the Walther P-series.

Last edited:

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
A good friend of ours was murdered in her home yesterday in Gardnerville , and everyone here is on edge. Two murders in 3 days in the same area. My wife wants to be armed.
Very sorry to hear this NH; I've been following it.
My wife carries a Kimber K6S loaded with .38 wadcutter rounds-no problem with recoil.
The Sig p238 was mentioned in this thread and she can rack that slide all day long. In fact, she has said many times it is fun to shoot and she shoots it well.
Still waiting for a SW EZ .380 to show up in the marketplace but still nothing. I've had such good luck with my Shield 9 I really want to get this .380 for her as well.
I hope they catch this murdering SOB, be safe.

iweb

Ham Radio Operator
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
My wife can rack a Sig P365 very well and it is the perfect small carry gun that comes with 10 round mags plus you can also buy 12 round mags.

My wife tried the S/W MP shield 380 and that was easy to rack. Tried it at Sportsman's Wearhouse. They want $ 369 It has 10 a round magazine. The safety does not have a red dot for fire.
380 a man stopper? How is recoil?

Just for your information: Our friend was a gun lady, been raised with guns, had guns, and knew how to use them, and even taught me some things about guns. Who ever did this must have sneaked up to her without her knowing. And they most likely stole her guns along with other things.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
My wife tried the S/W MP shield 380 and that was easy to rack. Tried it at Sportsman's Wearhouse. They want $ 369 It has 10 a round magazine. The safety does not have a red dot for fire.
380 a man stopper? How is recoil?
I think a .380 Shield should be okay on recoil, no direct experience. I had one in .40 for awhile and liked how it performed. That .40 recoiled significantly less than any of the micro .380’s like the Ruger or Keltec P380 I’ve shot, so that’s where I base my comparison.

As for ‘man stopper’, .380 will do the job well enough if the shooter does theirs. Hit vitals and hope they’re not meth’d up.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
I like that video. It’s the way I’ve talked with wife about racking.

Mindful of turning body so muzzle is down range/away/safe, Two hands, close to body and also angle away from body slightly.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
...380 a man stopper? How is recoil?
Remember that "stopping power" is only an issue if you are facing a determined attacker that is going to advance through gunfire to continue. Having ANY gun is 96% of carrying a gun, unless you are a cop or own a jewelry store.

My friend, a retired Metro captain, said that during his tenure, there were more bodies in the morgue from a .380 than any other bullet. Obviously, there are other factors there, but it was a memorable statistic.

Recoil will be a quotient of cartridge energy and size of the gun. A well-built recoil-operated (not blowback) .380 is often a very controllable piece. Getting that pinkie finger on the grip makes a huge difference.

Been doing research on the S/W MP 380 shield EZ and looks like it has "issues" with "stove piping" on the last magazine round or jamming a live round. Check out Hitchcock 45 on youtube and other videos and comments on this on the internet.

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Malfunctions @10:30 and 18:00. Don't know if the mags were properly seated or not. I like to seat them for at least a week. One guy swapped his ruger 9 springs and the issue went away. I wouldn't mind having a conversation with S&W about the problem on the vid to see if they've upped the mag spring tension a bit on newer releases. Either way I'll just bet they would send replacement mag(s) if there were issues if you decide to purchase.