• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Easy to rack

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Just for your information: Our friend was a gun lady, been raised with guns, had guns, and knew how to use them, and even taught me some things about guns. Who ever did this must have sneaked up to her without her knowing. And they most likely stole her guns along with other things.
I'm sorry about your friend. I dug up a couple of news stories about her and another this month in Gardnerville. Scary for the residents with an unknown murderer on the loose.

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
My wife owns a 357 lady smith wheel gun. No grip strength. I had it tuned. Put Hornaday pink 90g bullets, only one she will shoot. I had it laser engraved with her favorite animal.

johnthomas

Henderson
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Malfunctions @10:30 and 18:00. Don't know if the mags were properly seated or not. I like to seat them for at least a week. One guy swapped his ruger 9 springs and the issue went away. I wouldn't mind having a conversation with S&W about the problem on the vid to see if they've upped the mag spring tension a bit on newer releases. Either way I'll just bet they would send replacement mag(s) if there were issues if you decide to purchase.
I bought one of those for my wife. It has about 200 rounds through it, no problems. My wife can't rack my XD or 1911 but has no problems with this gun. This is her carry gun.

The Springfield XDE racks nice and eazy if the hammer gets pulled first, also a perfect beginnergun as it cock's and locks, as well as decock, depending on your situation. single stack fits smaller hands.

Make sure she knows the different ways of racking a pistol so she can find out which is easiest for her. After 50 yrs, I found out I did not have the strength to rack a 1911 and ended up with a different .45! More recently my son told me, instead of holding the frame and racking the slide, to hold the slide and rack/move the frame. SURPRISE, it worked for me, even though it is weird. Forgive the pun, but could not resist. Different strokes for different folks...If wearing certain gear/holsters, there is the one hand rack. Check out YouTube for different ways to rack.
Each handgun is different as to the degree of difficulty in racking it. Spring tension is one reason. Size, weight and ergonomics are others.
I have a Ruger P345 in .45 of course (most difficult), H&K P30L .40 cal. (easiest and very smooth), and a BHP 9mm (smooth). I think the H&K is of the highest quality of the three, thus the smoothness and the ergonomics of the gun gives me lots and therefore easiest to hang/hold onto. The prices of the latter two of course enter into it, but for me, well worth it.

Last edited:
Called S/W yesterday, and they told me that no one has told them or complained before about the "stove piping issue". She did mention that the thumb safety issue has been fixed.
I told them to view Hitchcock 45's video on YouTube, and google complaints about the MP EZ Shield on gun forums.
My wife really likes it, but want to be sure it performs correctly when your life depends on it.

johnthomas

Henderson
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Make sure she knows the different ways of racking a pistol so she can find out which is easiest for her. After 50 yrs, I found out I did not have the strength to rack a 1911 and ended up with a different .45! More recently my son told me, instead of holding the frame and racking the slide, to hold the slide and rack/move the frame. SURPRISE, it worked for me, even though it is weird. Forgive the pun, but could not resist. Different strokes for different folks...If wearing certain gear/holsters, there is the one hand rack. Check out YouTube for different ways to rack.
Each handgun is different as to the degree of difficulty in racking it. Spring tension is one reason. Size, weight and ergonomics are others.
I have a Ruger P345 in .45 of course (most difficult), H&K P30L .40 cal. (easiest and very smooth), and a BHP 9mm (smooth). I think the H&K is of the highest quality of the three, thus the smoothness and the ergonomics of the gun gives me lots and therefore easiest to hang/hold onto. The prices of the latter two of course enter into it, but for me, well worth it.
I generally do the push and pull method. I am right handed so I push the gun with my right hand as I am racking the slide.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
...hold the slide and rack/move the frame....
This is the method that I teach. It's not just about getting the slide back, but doing so forcefully, pushing hard enough that the slide gets pushed out of your own hand and the FULL force of the recoil spring takes over to put the gun into battery reliably. Simply letting go of a slide robs the spring of power. No one can let go fast enough to not do so .

MAC702...Under your name...LEGEN...wait for it...DARY! Did not realize you were a fan of "Barney". NO, No, no. Not Barney Miller, No, No, not Barney from Mayberry, but Barney from How I Met Your Mother... ;) That's o.k., you give good gun tips anyways...

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
MAC702...Under your name...LEGEN...wait for it...DARY! Did not realize you were a fan of "Barney". NO, No, no. Not Barney Miller, No, No, not Barney from Mayberry, but Barney from How I Met Your Mother... ;) That's o.k., you give good gun tips anyways...
Actually, I had nothing to do with it. I took off my "Schadenfreudist" label so as not to offend anyone, and some gnarly old Mod somewhere seized the opportunity to fill the hole.

iav8524

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Very sorry to hear this NH; I've been following it.
My wife carries a Kimber K6S loaded with .38 wadcutter rounds-no problem with recoil.
The Sig p238 was mentioned in this thread and she can rack that slide all day long. In fact, she has said many times it is fun to shoot and she shoots it well.
Still waiting for a SW EZ .380 to show up in the marketplace but still nothing. I've had such good luck with my Shield 9 I really want to get this .380 for her as well.
I hope they catch this murdering SOB, be safe.
Briarhawk on Sahara has a SW EZ in stock.. $375

nikk

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Ooops! Missed your post about your having already ordered a gun.

Well, I going to post this anyway because I see this question so frequently on every forum.
Here's my 2 cents...

For your wife, I'm thinking maybe a Ruger SP101 .357, with a 3" barrel.
Load it with Hornady American Gunner .38 Special, 125gr. XTP or something similar.
This round has a muzzle energy of 225 lbs. out of a 4" barrel, so a little less with a 3".

Why?

The SP101 weights 27 oz. That puts it between the GP100, at 40 oz, and the Airweight at 14 oz.
This will be lighter for your wife to hold than the GP100 and have lower recoil than the Airweight,
due to the extra 13 oz of weight and an inch longer barrel than the Airweight.

My wife also has problems working the slides and pulling a DA trigger on a revolver.
People do not understand this problem unless they know someone like this.
Everyone says, well, they just need to learn how to apply the proper mechanics.
NO -- I know how to use the mechanics but as I am aging, I am getting to the point where I am worrying
about being able to rack the slide on my carry gun, in the not too distant future.

I tried racking a Shield EZ and did not find it appreciably easier than anything else.
Hopefully, some day, manufacturers will develop a truly easier slide.
Maybe something that is 50% easier, rather than 27% easier.