• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fast twist .22-250AI

Earthquake

Obsessed Member
I have been toying with the idea of having a new 24" fast twist .22-250AI [1 in 8"] barrel installed on my old Ruger 77V rifle, I would like to be able to shoot some of the heavier bullets at long range, I know the Ruger 77 action is not normally seen as a "target" action but if I can make it shoot as good as the 1 in 14" barrel has I would be happy. Any body ever build/shoot a fast twist 22-250?

eQ

MAC702

Sometimes a feeling is all we humans have to go on
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I always wondered the same thing. I was very happy with my Ruger M-77V in .220 Swift. It loved to scream the sub-55s and grouped them very well, especially for a rifle of its old gen 1 era. But with the modern "thing" of shooting heavy match bullets, I wonder what it can do. I can barely keep 88s supersonic at 1000 yards in a standard 223, and I'm a bit above book loading to do it.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Interesting idea. I wounder if the higher velocity (higher RPM) of the .22-250 would stabilize a heavier (longer) bullet? My Ruger 77, bull barreled .22-250 is the most accurate rifle I own, but I have not tried to shoot heavy bullets out of it.

MAC702

Sometimes a feeling is all we humans have to go on
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
... My Ruger 77, bull barreled .22-250 is the most accurate rifle I own, but I have not tried to shoot heavy bullets out of it.
It likely doesn't have a cooperative twist rate. These rifles were designed to scream out light bullets very fast and very accurately.

Impact Guns, the original online gun store- guns, ammo, and accessories for low prices.