• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Form 1 - engrave or not engrave?

I have wanted to submit a Form 1 to build my own SBR for a while.

I have been hesitant because I have heard that you must engrave your name into the lower once the Form 1 has been approved, and finding a local service to do this has been problematic.

I have also heard that this is not necessary and that only the serial number from the lower is required on the Form 1.

Which is the correct answer?

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I have wanted to submit a Form 1 to build my own SBR for a while.

I have been hesitant because I have heard that you must engrave your name into the lower once the Form 1 has been approved, and finding a local service to do this has been problematic.

I have also heard that this is not necessary and that only the serial number from the lower is required on the Form 1.

Which is the correct answer?

You need to engrave your name, or the name of the trust, and the location where you and or the trust reside.

It is not really problematic either. Call Nevada Cerakote and make sure they aren't in the middle of a commercial engraving run. Drive your butt down to Gardnerville, walk in, hand them $50, wait 5 minutes, leave with your engraved gun.

There are also places IN reno that will do it, but I haven't used them because they seem to want to take a long time to do it.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Thanks for the info! I didn’t know about Nevada Cerakote.
Definitely going to contact them.
I just call ahead because sometimes their laser is doing a production run for something and they may say come down later or come tomorrow or whatever.

tbirdsc

not so n00b
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Thanks for the info! I didn’t know about Nevada Cerakote.
Definitely going to contact them.
They do top notch work!!!
I was told last Saturday that they are adding in a second laser engraver to be dedicated to NFA items.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
They do top notch work!!!
I was told last Saturday that they are adding in a second laser engraver to be dedicated to NFA items.
They didn’t do the best in my plastic receiver, a few of the letters got burnt/warped but it’s still perfectly legible, meets requirements and they were kind enough to back fill it with FDE cerakote so it didn’t look black, but apparently their new laser will be better at polymer? I dunno. I don’t care either way its not like it matters and it won’t stop me from still using them. But my two metal guns they have done came out perfect.

Last edited:

tbirdsc

not so n00b
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
They didn’t do the best in my plastic receiver, a few of the letters got burnt/warped but it’s still perfectly legible, meets requirements and they were kind enough to back fill it with FDE cerakote so it didn’t look black, but apparently their new laser will be better at polymer? I dunno. I don’t care either way its not like it matters and it won’t stop me from still using them. But my two metal guns they have done came out perfect.
When I was down there the last time - Russ said laser engraving polymer is a real bear but they were getting the hang of it - polymer might still be best doing it the old fashioned way - a panto-graph and carbide cutter???

MAC702

Sometimes a feeling is all we humans have to go on
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
You dont need to. They can just use the stock info on the receiver.
On a Form 1, YOU are the registering manufacturer of the NFA configuration. It must be YOUR NAME (or trust, etc) and city engraved on it, in addition to whomever manufactured the original firearm.

tbirdsc

not so n00b
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
On a Form 1, YOU are the manufacturer of the NFA configuration. It must be YOUR NAME engraved on it, in addition to whomever manufactured the original firearm.
don't forget your city and state - which makes Reno, NV a whole lot better than
Bonadelle Ranchos-Madera Ranchos, CA (but they are not allowed to own a SBR so a moot point)

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
When I was down there the last time - Russ said laser engraving polymer is a real bear but they were getting the hang of it - polymer might still be best doing it the old fashioned way - a panto-graph and carbide cutter???
Yeah he said it’s pretty tricky but they want to get a UV laser or some (poop) that makes it easier.

Again I’m not complaining and I literally don’t care. It just didn’t come out as clean as the metal ones

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
don't forget your city and state - which makes Reno, NV a whole lot better than
Bonadelle Ranchos-Madera Ranchos, CA (but they are not allowed to own a SBR so a moot point)
Also why it’s not ideal to make stupid long-ass trust names like ‘Dr. Marneaus Living Revocable Family Trust 2020’

Mine is literally just 3 initials ‘gun trust’

So if doing it as an individual let’s hope your name isn’t Engelbert Humperdinck or some other such nonsense.

On a Form 1, YOU are the registering manufacturer of the NFA configuration. It must be YOUR NAME (or trust, etc) and city engraved on it, in addition to whomever manufactured the original firearm.
Oppps. I had some bad info. I guess ill have to get on that shortly. Luckly enough i know a guy who has one.

Impact Guns, the original online gun store- guns, ammo, and accessories for low prices.