• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Front Sight Firearms Training

Always had a good time out there for classes (pistol, carbine and shotgun). Instructors are knowledgeable in the FS system and I always pick up something new even if it's not from the book. To be honest the biggest detractor has been other shooters that need significance attention from the instructors and I mean safety issues not people that aren't shooting bulleyes.

Just keep an open mind, be safe, relax and have fun! Nothing like getting to hang out with like minded folks and getting to throw lead down range. As a novice shooter don't worry about DGing the course, just absorb the info and trying an improve your skills over the 4 days which you will. They will pair you up with a partner so recon the group and see if someone seems friendly and maybe more experienced. Last public class I met an Air Force 2 pilot, real deal not a story teller lol.

How is your gear set-up? Good pistol belt, holster (No serpas!), mag carrier and mags? Electronic ear pro? Mag Loader? Sun screen (I like a shemagh to keep my neck from burning you can also wet it to help keep cool). High protein snacks and electrolytes to keep you going, you'll have ups and downs over 4 days best to keep the body well fueled and helps the mind stay focused. You will also be on your feet a lot so good footwear can make a difference

For lunch, the preordered food is ok, a bit pricey but convenient (no chow truck anymore). They have microwaves in the meeting area and water jugs as well as water jugs on the range. Watch what you eat at chow time as well, since it might drag you down

This is from the website for pistol classes "Suitable calibers include .38 Special/.357 Magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W, 10mm or .45 ACP"

Sorry I write books when I post but hope this is helpful.
It’s a great novel. Lol. Seriously thanks for all the little tips... especially on the food and hydration.

Even as an experienced shooter there are things to learn and skills to build in their basic 4-day course. Nice facilities, good instructors. As mentioned, their techniques are a little outdated, but they're flexible enough with students that if something else works better for you they'll help you learn and practice that other technique, too. Probably most importantly I learned I needed to make some changes to my equipment.

Even on my second time through the 4-day (went with my nephew, who was a new shooter) I had a good time, got to practice with my new kit, and refine quite a lot of things over my first trip.

All in all, if you can ignore the timeshare sales pitch, it is good training and definitely worth the time and money you will spend there.

Not related to Front Sight, but that's my technique. I haven't bought yet, but I'm shopping for a M&P 22 or the TX22. And I'm looking for those specifically because the mechanics are the same as my primary defensive sidearms. I figure I can do the majority of my training with the .22 and just a little practice with the 9mm so that I conserve ammo but keep up skills training.
For Front Sight students who don’t want to commute every day, what hotel would you guys recommend to stay at/ or avoid?
At the tour.. the guy said I had to use a 9mm so I could take the skills test on day 4. I will ask if I can use the 22 for repeat courses.

Even as an experienced shooter there are things to learn and skills to build in their basic 4-day course. Nice facilities, good instructors. As mentioned, their techniques are a little outdated, but they're flexible enough with students that if something else works better for you they'll help you learn and practice that other technique, too. Probably most importantly I learned I needed to make some changes to my equipment.

Even on my second time through the 4-day (went with my nephew, who was a new shooter) I had a good time, got to practice with my new kit, and refine quite a lot of things over my first trip.

All in all, if you can ignore the timeshare sales pitch, it is good training and definitely worth the time and money you will spend there.
There’s a timeshare pitch? Oh geez.... hope they’ll just excuse all Vegas residents from that presentation. Lol

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
I took my first FS course back in '99. Took my next class in '05 and then got a membership. Started back in 2011 and have now taken over 30 classes...many repeats with friends, new shooters and my wife. Handgun, shotgun, rifle, empty hand, edged weapons, rope and rappelling, etc. As Mac said, it's a fun vacation where you can learn something or keep polish on those perishable skills.

I've been told you can take the class with <9mm, but the test won't be graded towards a graduate or DG. I'm NOT sure if you can take the class with <9mm, then switch the day of the test.

When I did a membership upgrade that got me a Hawk shotgun, it took about 12 months to see the gun come in.

I took my first FS course back in '99. Took my next class in '05 and then got a membership. Started back in 2011 and have now taken over 30 classes...many repeats with friends, new shooters and my wife. Handgun, shotgun, rifle, empty hand, edged weapons, rope and rappelling, etc. As Mac said, it's a fun vacation where you can learn something or keep polish on those perishable skills.

I've been told you can take the class with <9mm, but the test won't be graded towards a graduate or DG. I'm NOT sure if you can take the class with <9mm, then switch the day of the test.

When I did a membership upgrade that got me a Hawk shotgun, it took about 12 months to see the gun come in.
Ya... been about 6 months waiting on the shotgun so far. Lol

Tour guide said it had to be a 9mm for the course.

Brider

CPAs do it by the numbers
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Good luck and have fun! Lets Us know what you think afterwards. I need to get a class going.

LVTrenton

Living the dream
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I was told to get the TX22 as well.
We have two TX22 pistols as loaners for students. Like every .22 semiauto I have shot, they will malf when dirty or when even a little bit limp wristed. I thoroughly clean and lube every 500 rounds, and they stay reliable. They have been great trainers for us.

Good luck and have fun! Lets Us know what you think afterwards. I need to get a class going.
Finished the course yesterday.... BLOW MY MIND AWESOME!!! I’m a new shooter so I learned soooo much. I’m still a bad shot, but now I know what to look for and what to fix. Good thing I got the membership so I can go back as much as I want ... which I will. I think I’m opting for the 2 day courses first then transition into the 4 day. That was a lot of information to process. So 2 day Practical Rifle is next for me end of May.

We have two TX22 pistols as loaners for students. Like every .22 semiauto I have shot, they will malf when dirty or when even a little bit limp wristed. I thoroughly clean and lube every 500 rounds, and they stay reliable. They have been great trainers for us.
I may want to try that one day. 9mm is expensive. Lol

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
My buddy's shotgun ammo just arrived a couple days ago, and I've had my classload of shells saved for two years now. We take the 4-day shotgun next week! Gonna bring the Benelli M2 as the primary and the Benelli SuperNova for backup. I'll have the Winchester SXP in the truck as a backup, too. All have 26" barrels with extended tubes. Both Benellis have been worked up a bit for easier loading.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
My buddy's shotgun ammo just arrived a couple days ago, and I've had my classload of shells saved for two years now. We take the 4-day shotgun next week! Gonna bring the Benelli M2 as the primary and the Benelli SuperNova for backup. I'll have the Winchester SXP in the truck as a backup, too. All have 26" barrels with extended tubes. Both Benellis have been worked up a bit for easier loading.
Shotgun was my favorite class. I did like 80% of it with burd bullets and only used buck when required.

I was the only person with wood on my gun in the class too, lol

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Finished the course yesterday.... BLOW MY MIND AWESOME!!! I’m a new shooter so I learned soooo much. I’m still a bad shot, but now I know what to look for and what to fix. Good thing I got the membership so I can go back as much as I want ... which I will. I think I’m opting for the 2 day courses first then transition into the 4 day. That was a lot of information to process. So 2 day Practical Rifle is next for me end of May.
I have found the two day classes to be lacking, but that’s just me.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
...I was the only person with wood on my gun in the class too, lol
One of the reasons I bought the SXP was because it was one of the few available with a wood stock. I shot a lot of 3-gun, and had wood on all three guns, shooting with the SXP, M14 and 1911 in the Heavy Metal division.

The SXP cycles faster (no inertia lock like most pumps) than my SuperNova, significantly, but the Benelli is a lot faster to load.

Last edited:

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
I have found the two day classes to be lacking, but that’s just me.
Agreed, if at all possible, take the 4-day classes. The 2-days get the basics, but they spend so much time getting everyone safe and up to speed that you don't get to drill what you've been taught much, and you don't get to test or shoot the man on man competitions (put yourself under stress).

Shotgun is my favorite shooting class out there as well.

Agreed, if at all possible, take the 4-day classes. The 2-days get the basics, but they spend so much time getting everyone safe and up to speed that you don't get to drill what you've been taught much, and you don't get to test or shoot the man on man competitions (put yourself under stress).

Shotgun is my favorite shooting class out there as well.
I’m a beginner so all that info was overwhelming. I would have liked to have done the 2 day... have time to practice and know the drills.. the. Went back for the 4 day

I signed up for the 2 day Rifle in June...