• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Glock 44 and ammo types

garand_guy

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I've been shooting my Glock 44 because of obvious reasons. I've noticed that with 1200ish FPS loads I need to adopt a 6 o'clock hold, but with 1400ish FPS loads, I hit point of aim. Target has been usually 8".

I'm rather new to shooting rimfire out of pistols regularly, but what's the deal? Is there really that much variation in the loads?

Disclaimer: I am going to try it with all the different brands I have and track the results instead of just anecdotal stuff.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Especially with lightweight handguns, it's not just the bullet velocity that affects trajectory, but the recoil impulse will affect the launch angle.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Are you comparing the 36 gr vs 40 gr bullets ? I havent found our 44 to change point of impact much with the different ammo.
Our first one hated 36gr ammo period. The 2nd one ( glock replaced our first one ) has been damn near flawless.

garand_guy

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Are you comparing the 36 gr vs 40 gr bullets ? I havent found our 44 to change point of impact much with the different ammo.
Our first one hated 36gr ammo period. The 2nd one ( glock replaced our first one ) has been damn near flawless.
That's part of the new test. But then again I'm not in a position where I can really choose what I want to shoot unless I get a great deal on a case of some stuff the pistol likes.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Our first one went 4K rounds before it blew the extractor and split the slide. Bought it Jan 2020, blew up in May 2020. Glock had a replacement delivered to my door step a week after contacting them. This one is at about 6-7k rounds thru it.
More accurate than the first, trigger still sucks. Seems to work with any ammo it gets fed.

garand_guy

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Verdict appears to be less ammo and more of slight variation in target location affecting my point of aim. The six o'clock hold wasn't necessary in Location 2.

PM720

Poster Level- Expert
Mine has been good with several different kinds of ammo and been flawless for me so far. Some of my friends have had issues but generally with Winchester bulk stuff. Ihave run 1000+ of MM, 50 Aguila SV, 40 AE & 50 GB with no issues although you could tell different levels of recoil with the GB's. Very inconsistent ammo. Mine is a Jan 2020 gun as well and I love it!

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Sounds like there were a few bad ones in the first batch , but based on how many were sold, I still feel the amount of ones that had issues was very small. I was really shocked when ours ka-boomed. Originally I bought it it for my son to use when he is not shooting his Zev 17. Figured I could use it as well , since it is close to the same feel as the P10C. I was wrong , I lost that gun after the first range session. It's pretty much his now.

I keep hoping the trigger will smooth out , but I may have to try a $16 McCarbo spring kit and see if it helps.

PM720

Poster Level- Expert
Sounds like there were a few bad ones in the first batch , but based on how many were sold, I still feel the amount of ones that had issues was very small. I was really shocked when ours ka-boomed. Originally I bought it it for my son to use when he is not shooting his Zev 17. Figured I could use it as well , since it is close to the same feel as the P10C. I was wrong , I lost that gun after the first range session. It's pretty much his now.

I keep hoping the trigger will smooth out , but I may have to try a $16 McCarbo spring kit and see if it helps.
What ammo were you using when it broke? Just curious.

Mine has about 2K though it now and I put a Glock "-" connector in it which helped a bunch. I still need to get in there and do some polishing. Afraid to change springs due to possible light strikes.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
I can't recall, probably the Federal Bulk Stuff , 40 gr , or Aquila standard velocity 40 gr.
It had ran great for 4k rounds, I was shooting it when it blew. Thought it just blew the extractor until I got back home and tore it down for cleaning.

Wiped some Hoppes #9 on the slide, and the crack that went all the way thru most of the cocking serrations clearly showed up.

I added a $39 set of Ameriglo sights, with the front being a red fiber. Seems like the fit for a front sight is a bit looser than the rest of the glocks, but a drop or two of gorilla glue to fill the space did the trick and has been holding up well.

My son thinks we are up 7500 rounds on the replacement 44. Would be more if not for the ammo-demic. :)

garand_guy

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Okay, so not ammo or targets. Gun just shoots high. Six o'clock hold.

Any ideas on replacing the adjustable sights since they won't depress?