• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Guess I need to learn about muzzleloaders now.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Muzzle loading has gotten complicated. All I need to remember is 2F in the pipe 4F in the pan and keep the rock sharp.
That’s a nice lookin flinchlock.

As for complicated, I feel like I owe it to myself and the animal I will be pointing at to be as accurate and efficient as possible, so i got a modern setup.

Last edited:

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Thanks to a very kind and generous member here I made a little trade and I’m all primered up! May track down some powder but a friend of mine will probably sell me a can of blackhorn.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Well. This isn’t pleasant to shoot. But, i shot it. Gotta get the load developed tho. Was getting inconsistent results at 50 yards. 100gr of Blackhorn 209, 290gr TMZ sabots.

First time I’ve ever shot an ML so I just need to get my consistency down and keep shooting.
At least I know how it works now! 8CACCFE3-7246-4FF2-B0F5-BE14400B7281.jpeg

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Consistency with a Muzzle loader is made up of finding the right projectile for the gun (based on the type of rifling and the twist of the rifling) the right patch thickness (if using a patch) and then the right amount of the right powder for that bullet / patch combo, and lastly, always seating the projectile to the same amount of compression of the powder charge.
Oh, yah, and different percussion caps, or musket caps or primers if using a modern primer system, all those can make a change/ difference too.

Then , of course , after a few shots when the bore is well fouled, all the above goes out the window until you clean the bore, fire a fouling shot, then start shooting for accuracy again.

It's the original version of today's search for the absolutely perfect load for your 1,000 yard bench rest match rifle, etc.
Without having to weigh every case, measure it's case volume, uniform the primer pockets and flash hole, neck turn, anneal, neck size, and a few other things of course.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Just to confirm your 100grains is by volume and NOT by weight right?
Yes. With a traditional muzzle loading powder measure. 100gr of blackhorn 209. Definitely ‘hits’ rather than ‘pushes’.

I’m not saying it was unbearable or anything. At not point was I like OMG THIS IS TERRIBLE! But I was pretty well over it after the 15th shot.

I’ll take it out again next weekend and keep working on my load development

gixxer760

Clown World Champion
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Yes. With a traditional muzzle loading powder measure. 100gr of blackhorn 209. Definitely ‘hits’ rather than ‘pushes’.

I’m not saying it was unbearable or anything. At not point was I like OMG THIS IS TERRIBLE! But I was pretty well over it after the 15th shot.

I’ll take it out again next weekend and keep working on my load development
Yea just wanting to be sure, read some stories of people weighing 100grs and wondering why it was a cannon

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Consistency with a Muzzle loader is made up of finding the right projectile for the gun (based on the type of rifling and the twist of the rifling) the right patch thickness (if using a patch) and then the right amount of the right powder for that bullet / patch combo, and lastly, always seating the projectile to the same amount of compression of the powder charge.
Oh, yah, and different percussion caps, or musket caps or primers if using a modern primer system, all those can make a change/ difference too.

Then , of course , after a few shots when the bore is well fouled, all the above goes out the window until you clean the bore, fire a fouling shot, then start shooting for accuracy again.

It's the original version of today's search for the absolutely perfect load for your 1,000 yard bench rest match rifle, etc.
Without having to weigh every case, measure it's case volume, uniform the primer pockets and flash hole, neck turn, anneal, neck size, and a few other things of course.
Yup! That’s what I was told by the guy who was teaching me. Try, try again. Try everything. Same bullet different powder load. Same powder load different bullet. Same powder same bullet better make sure you seat it the same! Clean the bore. Fire a primer fire a shot. Start all over!

It’s all good. I’ll get there :) I’ve got another month or two. I’ve got a few powders now, some pellets, a few bullets, etc .

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Yea just wanting to be sure, read some stories of people weighing 100grs and wondering why it was a cannon
That probably wouldn’t be fun haha. I shot my friends traditional mountain rifle running actual black powder and it was a whole different animal. Again I’m not saying this thing is impossible to shoot just saying it wasn’t pleasurable.

For a cool down I started shooting the desert eagle lol