• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Gun safe mover

337_BCM

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
https://www.thesafekeeper.com/

They move and do professional installs. Probably a bit pricey I would imagine. I’ve seen videos on YouTube of guys moving heavy safes with various techniques. They make it look easy but I would obviously be cautious if trying to go the non professional route.

Bumper

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
If you don't have door sills and such to traverse, you might try moving it yourself. I've used 1/8" thick UHMW-PE plastic, though that's kind of pricey. You can make your own slip and slide, to easily move heavy stuff over reasonably smooth surfaces. Get some large plastic trash bags. Mix up a bit of dish soap with water (Dawn is good and it doesn't take much). Spray the water/soap solution inside the bag - ( it'd be slippery with just water, but the soap acts to help wet the surface). Lay a couple of bags down with a bit over overlap and get the first one under the safe. Proceed to push and put the bags in front. Lengths of plastic pipe (like PEX) can work as rollers instead of the slippery bag idea.

CORefugee

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
We used to use 1" EMT to move electrical switchgear and transformers. I imagine it would be fine for a little 900 lb safe. A couple pieces of masonite or the like will protect all floor surfaces, IME.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
We slid a 900# safe across our tile floor by putting thick bath towels under it.

It worked. And yes some grout cracked, no tiles cracked, but it did loosen the poorly applied thinset of one or eight of them ! ?? Nope, the wife was not amused.

337_BCM

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

We slid a 900# safe across our tile floor by putting thick bath towels under it.

It worked. And yes some grout cracked, no tiles cracked, but it did loosen the poorly applied thinset of one or eight of them ! ?? Nope, the wife was not amused.
If no injuries occurred moving a 900# safe then I’d call that a win ?

Cduke

Greedo shot first
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
We used to use 1" EMT to move electrical switchgear and transformers. I imagine it would be fine for a little 900 lb safe. A couple pieces of masonite or the like will protect all floor surfaces, IME.
Exactly that! I use 3/4” rigid pipe to move mine…almost 1000 lbs. works great. Just push and have a person in the front and rear to keep the pipe under it. Or take the door off and move it easier…

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
See...you can hardly tell. Well, except the grout don't match. ?

20220714_090617.jpg

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
That is what I said. :)
She was not amused, but considering she stayed with me when I would tear my Yamaha KT100 Kart engines apart in our " spare " bathroom when first married, I think I am safe.... maybe

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
That is what I said. :)
She was not amused, but considering she stayed with me when I would tear my Yamaha KT100 Kart engines apart in our " spare " bathroom when first married, I think I am safe.... maybe
If she doesn't call me, text me, or e-mail me in the next 24 hours to request a contract on you, you're probably good, unless of course she is a "do it yourself" kinda gal, in which case you might want to start sleeping with one eye open and hire a food taster.
And maybe check under the car before starting it, and the brakes, and....... well, you get the idea!

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
I use that stuff, works great. Follow it up with a good grout sealer and it stays white a long time.
Comes in several colors.... We had to use so much we ran out of one color and had to use another close color in some areas. Had to go to several HD/Lowes around Palm Springs to finish the job.