• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ham radio HT

garand_guy

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Looking to upgrade from my Baofeng.

I want an HT that I can program to display a channel name; not have to remember what 123.456 + is or what I set channel 4 to be. That's all I really want in it. Other stuff is nice but not necessary.

Was looking at the Yaesu FT-3DR.

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yaesu is always a great choice. If you want less $$ outlay than the FT3DR, you can go with ANY of the Yaesu HT's, all will allow you to show the name of the channel you enter, instead of the just the frequency.

Some Yaesu HTs will let you see the name and the frequency simultaneously.

Lower priced Yaesu HTS that are all great radios include the FT60, FT65, FT70 , VX6, and the now discontinued VX7 and VX8. The last two can be found used in good shape for some reasonable prices.

I program my Yaesu HT's that only show either the frequency or the name, in the following way, (just making up frequencies and names here so you get the idea.) to make life easier.

Channel 1 Frequency of 145.490, no name just the frequency shows.

Channel 2, Johnny Repeater, same frequency as Channel one, but with a name showing instead of the frequency.

By doing it this way, if I am tired and someone says to meet them on a frequency that I know I have programmed into memory, I can just quickly go to the ODD numbered channel and there it is, where if I had them only programmed by the repeater or simplex frequency's name, I would have to stop and think about it and try to remember what the frequency is if they said go to a name, or what the name is if they said go to a frequency and I only had them programmed for just names, or just frequencies.

And if someone asks me what frequency a repeater is by repeater name, I can look at the radio display on an EVEN numbered channel that shows that repeater name and know that by going back one channel to the ODD numbered channel it will be that repeater's frequency. Both channels will show the offset + or - and if the repeater requires a CTCSS tone or not.

I of course don't have to do this for my HT's that show both the frequency and name simultaneously on the display.

jln370

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
You can have the Baofeng display the channel name if you program it using the free Chirp software. This video is a detailed instruction on how to program your radio with Chirp, but if you already do that, skip to the 12:12 minute mark and he explains how to get your Baofeng to display the frequency name.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
You can have the Baofeng display the channel name if you program it using the free Chirp software. This video is a detailed instruction on how to program your radio with Chirp, but if you already do that, skip to the 12:12 minute mark and he explains how to get your Baofeng to display the frequency name.

I want an HT that I can program to display a channel name; not have to remember what 123.456 + is or what I set channel 4 to be. That's all I really want in it. Other stuff is nice but not necessary.

As mentioned above, its super easy to program the Baofeng to do that. Didn't take me long to get it figured out then update all 5 of mine to pre-set pre-labeled channels.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Old dude is spot on about the Yaesus. Most of mine are 15 year old FT-60 and still going strong, programmed with the repeater name on the alpha/numeric display....but none are labeled Johnny though..

TRDPilot

Member (9mm)
If your are getting more and more into it I also recommend getting away from the Baofeng. The front end is wide open and the selectivity is terrible. The Yaesu is nice because it also does APRS. I use APrS a ton and actually set up a local 2-way iGate in Vegas.

But everyone else is right about the Baofeng when it comes to displaying freq or names. That’s how mine is set up.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Old dude is spot on about the Yaesus. Most of mine are 15 year old FT-60 and still going strong, programmed with the repeater name on the alpha/numeric display....but none are labeled Johnny though..
Yup, I also have an old FT60 that still works perfectly, and three -17 year old VX7's, 1 VX6, 20 year old VX5, and a 17 year old VX 2, all still work just like the day they were new.
And if they go sour, Yaesu is just over the hill in Cypress CA and will repair them for a very nominal $35 plus parts.

And "Johnny" is the name of one of the repeaters here in the Pahrump Valley, because it is located on Mt. Schrader overlooking the town of Johnny and the Johnny gold mines . 145.490 (-) PL123.

Gunhand

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

In the past, 123.45 was the most used Aircraft frequency for smuggler ground crews. Seems like every ground crew we arrested had that frequency programmed in their radios. I always had a scanner in my vehicle and a hand-held scanner monitoring that channel. Ah, the good old days of chasing smugglers in the desert!!

secretasianman

Very Active Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I tested my Baofengs on a spectrum analyzer and promptly sold them all because "I should know better".
My Yaesu FT70 is clean but it doesn't feel good in my hand.
I've been eyeing the FT-4X. Anyone have experience with those?

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I tested my Baofengs on a spectrum analyzer and promptly sold them all because "I should know better".
My Yaesu FT70 is clean but it doesn't feel good in my hand.
I've been eyeing the FT-4X. Anyone have experience with those?
Helped a new ham program one recently, was easy just like all Yaesu's. He used it all day 3 days in a row working a county call out with me, forgot to charge it each night, and the battery held up through all three days.
Great little radio, helluva bargain at $89.95 at either Giga Parts or Ham Radio Outlet.

Bao Fengs are frequently fuzzy, spread widely over the frequency they are transmitting on, same for most of the Chinese knock offs, like Wouxon, Tyt, Hyt, etc.