• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How I got my Ham Technician license (in about a week)

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
This is was my experience getting an Amateur Radio License. This is not necessarily a recommendation.

A little about my background. Nearly 25-30 years ago, I was a two way radio installer. That was probably the biggest advantage I had versus many others in the general public. However, I feel that was really a minor advantage overall, as there just wasn't a ton of overlap between day to day application of installing radios, and ham course material.

Around the 3rd of this month, I asked read a post where @NYECOGunsmith was offering members the question and answer material for the Technician test. So, after years of me procrastinating, I asked him for it. I printed it off a day later and read the first page or two. I figured I would dedicate 30-60 minutes per day to study. What I found after a couple of days was, whenever I had down time, I didn't have it with me. So around the middle of last week, the 9th according to my email, I started taking tests on EHam, then QRZ. For me, it was more convenient because I could access from my phone from anywhere. For example, instead of spending time browsing my favorite websites when waiting to pick up kid from school, I would take practice tests.

Was getting in the 70%-80% range when I started, probably some in the 60s even. Here's the great thing about QRZ's tests. When you miss a question, it tells you what course(s) you need to study. So then I would take those practice tests, so I wouldn't miss thise questions again.
Screenshot_20211211-085446_Chrome.jpg

By Saturday the 11th, I felt I was ready. So I booked time to take the test online. Sunday the 12th took the online test via Zoom with this radio club, which seems to have some sort of affiliation with Auburn University:
https://parcradio.org/pages/online.html

(You can find other exams from all of the VE teams here:
http://www.arrl.org/online-exam-session )

Took test, Sunday and yesterday the 15th got my call sign. Not bad for the Feds!

So there ya have it!

Now, this method isn't for everyone. A course is probably the best method as with a course, you are learning the material, rather than memorizing answers to questions. But again, this was just my experience.

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I vill holt yer Netflix Password hostage until you pazz the General Exam! BAAAWAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

lasvegasthumper

Covid free since 2020
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I am looking to do the same thing. Just knock it out and be done.
You were able to zoom the test and didn’t have to show in person?

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Zoom, correct, with ID, in a pretty visually sterile room in my house.

Cujo

FFI CCI
Forum Supporter
@NYECOGunsmith

I’ve been meaning to get my ticket punched for awhile now but never got around to doing it. Regarding the exam, I use an iPad/iPhone 99.99% of the time so taking the exam from home really wasn’t an option. You need a PC or equivalent with a webcam. I had to wait for a test date that was being held at the local American Legion post.

I showed up and took the Technician and General exams and the fee was $15 for both (it’s an additional $15 only if you don’t pass and need to retake an exam). As I was leaving, they encouraged me to take the Amateur Extra exam since I was there anyway. It wouldn’t have cost me anything so in hindsight, I should’ve just taken it. Oh well. . . I thought it would be more appropriate for me to gain some experience in the hobby and show a higher level of knowledge and proficiency first. I probably would’ve failed it miserably. Lol.

If you’re on the fence about taking the exams and getting your license, just do it. Seriously. NYECOGunsmith has been more than helpful providing course study materials and answering any questions that I might have had. Thanks again for all of your help, I really appreciate it!

Edit: Also thanks to @titanNV for starting this thread and getting the ball back rolling for a bunch of us. (y)

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Congrats Garth!
Folks, with HAM radio, we usually tell folks to get the license, you will get the experience and the real understanding once you get on the air.
Kinda like flying a chopper, you can train all you want in the simulator, but until you get in the hot seat and fly the real bird, it's all just theoretical knowledge and a bit of hands on that really isn't like the real thing, right Garth?!

Smokers10x

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Thanks for you original post. I've wanted to pick up a HAM license for years, just never had the time. Retired in June so no more excuses.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Thanks for you original post. I've wanted to pick up a HAM license for years, just never had the time. Retired in June so no more excuses.
If you want the current Technician question and answer pool, reduced to just the questions and the correct answer, PM me your e-mail and I will send them to you.
Can also provide the General and Extra class question and answer pools similarly reduced to just the questions and correct answers.
Got rid of all the goobermunt question numbers, incorrect answers, etc. Saves a lot of paper if you print it out, and there is less distraction when studying the material without the 3 incorrect answers shown for each question.

Smokers10x

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
PM sent. Tech class for now. If I get thinking about too many things at once, I won't start. Just ask my wife! Thanks!

If you want the current Technician question and answer pool, reduced to just the questions and the correct answer, PM me your e-mail and I will send them to you.
Can also provide the General and Extra class question and answer pools similarly reduced to just the questions and correct answers.
Got rid of all the goobermunt question numbers, incorrect answers, etc. Saves a lot of paper if you print it out, and there is less distraction when studying the material without the 3 incorrect answers shown for each question.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Sent you an e-mail, included all three classes of license (you don't have to study any but the Technician to get started, but once you get that if you decide to go on, you will already have the other study guides) and instructions on how to find an exam location, how to get your FRN number, etc.

Regards,
Steve

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Sent you an e-mail, included all three classes of license (you don't have to study any but the Technician to get started, but once you get that if you decide to go on, you will already have the other study guides) and instructions on how to find an exam location, how to get your FRN number, etc.

Regards,
Steve
I must be the town idiot. Don’t know crap about this stuff and had no clue this much was involved.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Not really all that much involved.

1.Go online to FCC website, register (it's free), get FRN number.

2.Go online to ARRL website, find exam location near you.

3.Study question pool for Technician class license (entry level, have to start there), take test, pass.

4.Get e-mail from FCC asking for money, pay the #$#$#$##$# their extortion fee of $35 (was free before 19 April 2022), once paid, get second e-mail telling you how to print your official license, since the cheap #$E#$#$# are no longer mailing you a hard copy of your license.

Easy!

Find an Exam: (also has info on getting your FRN number)
Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area (arrl.org)

What to bring to the exam:
What to Bring to an Exam Session (arrl.org)

Register with the FCC and get your FRN number:
New Users Guide To Getting Started With Universal Licensing System (ULS) | Federal Communications Commission (fcc.gov)

Glocksterpaulie

The Perfectionist
Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Not really all that much involved.

1.Go online to FCC website, register (it's free), get FRN number.

2.Go online to ARRL website, find exam location near you.

3.Study question pool for Technician class license (entry level, have to start there), take test, pass.

4.Get e-mail from FCC asking for money, pay the #$#$#$##$# their extortion fee of $35 (was free before 19 April 2022), once paid, get second e-mail telling you how to print your official license, since the cheap #$E#$#$# are no longer mailing you a hard copy of your license.

Easy!
What are you saying? Something was free and now they are charging for it? Lol. Story of our lives as we know it now.

NYECOGunsmith

Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
New Tech Class Question Pool went into effect 1 july 2022, other than that, all procedures delineated above are still in play.
If you want the current Tech Class question pool, which I have redacted to just the question and correct answer, no extraneous data, send me a pm with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.