• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How I got my Ham Technician license (in about a week)

DUG

NASWOGS
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
It took me about two weeks to pass my technician test, but only because I wanted in person and not online. I didn't study the material, I didn't really learn anything, I pretty much memorized the test. I went to QRZ and started taking practice tests. The first day I spent about 4 or 5 hours and couldn't even pass. My scores started in the 40s and I got to 71 percent (one question shy of passing) before getting bored. Every day when I had free time I took practice tests. I was passing consistently by day two, but in the 70s and low 80s. After the second day I took 3 or 4 tests a day when I had some free time. Even when we took the RV down to Laughlin for some warmer weather, I would take 3 or 4 tests a day. By then I was in the 90s all the time. I found a test site in Vegas and signed up. I did all the FCC stuff beforehand and even gave them 35 bucks for a GMRS license. Saturday I headed off to Vegas and got checked in. Even though the email said bring a laptop, I was the only one who did. I guess because I read the email and brought my laptop, they were pretty helpful and got me going before anyone else. I passed easily and now I'm waiting for an email demanding another 35 bucks. That TitanNV guy helped me pick out a radio for the Jeep and all the mounts and an antenna too. He checked out the cable left over from the CB and said it can be reused, so that will save a ton of time on the install. If you want to pass the test quickly and can memorized/word associate, then just taking a ton of practice tests might work for you. If you actually want to learn the material, it's not the way to do it.

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Ahh "That TitanNV guy helped me pick out a radio for the Jeep and all the mounts and an antenna too. " soooo, you associate with known shady characters!
Congrats on getting your ticket, get on the air, study for the General, holler if you have questions, or need the question pool(s) for the General and Extra class tickets, I have them redacted for all three classes if anyone wants them.
Current Technician Question pool is good until 2026, General Class is good until 30 June 23, HOWEVER I also have the next General Class pool, good from 1 July 23 until 30 June 27 redacted and available, and I have the Extra Class pool good until 30 June 25 redacted and available.

Just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send them to you.

If you are having trouble remembering the answers to any questions, I can provide memory tricks to help with that as well, and also explanations of how things work.