• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is the going rate for primers now 9-10 cents?

totenschadel

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Yeah 10¢ seems to be the norm but Based on the recovery of ammo, albeit slow, I'd think primers will be steadily on the shelves in early '23. Maybe no price reduction until next summer when things finally catch up.

Mid terms will play a factor though, so without going into a political rabbit hole, there's either going to be confidence and more recovery or another round of hoarding. BTW my crystal ball broke along time ago.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Yes.
No.

I'm hoping I'm wrong on that last one because I only have a few years' supply and sold some during the peak.

Bumper

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
That's what I'm seeing. but also many places are still out of stock, Price will probably come down some, but not anything like the few cents they cost half a dozen years ago when you could reload a .40 for about 12.5 cents if you didn't count the case and you used a swaged lead copper plate bullet.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I'll be at about 13-1/2 cents for my 9mm fmj based on last time I purchased components

3.5 cents primer, (yes 5+ years ago)
7.8 cent bullet
2.1 cents powder (4.6 gr at $250/8 pounds, yeah expensive)

I'll be at about 13-1/2 cents for my 9mm fmj based on last time I purchased components

3.5 cents primer, (yes 5+ years ago)
7.8 cent bullet
2.1 cents powder (4.6 gr at $250/8 pounds, yeah expensive)
I have always wanted to get into reloading but the math never worked out for me. In 2017 (around the same time you got your primer) I got federal fmj for 13.5 cents a round after rebate. I know those sales are hard to come by even in good times but are components fairly available at those prices in good times or are those also good deals during those times.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Those were the going rates, except, powder was cheaper than that. This powder was bought when times weren't good, 2021.

Now it looks like 10 cent primers, 12 cent projectiles and 2 cents in powder... 24 cents for 9mm is expensive!

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I'm still using my old stock. I've not yet been able to make myself pay 10 cents apiece for primers. I've cut my shooting back to 500 or so, rounds per month in an effort to weather the storm.

At least during the big ammo shortage, I had ammo.

Friends that used to laugh at me for loading 9MM weren't laughing then!

totenschadel

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Reloading 9mm reveals minimal cost benefit, especially factoring time, BUT look at 45,10, 357,44 etc and rifle ammo, the benefit quickly reveals itself. When factory ammo is gone from the shelves, reloaders have sustainability on top of cost savings.

Last edited:

oly29

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Bought my primers when they were 22.00 per 1000 and got enough to last me a while. The only reason I paid 9 cents per primer was I am reloading for my son's 45 and I don't have large pistol primers. The last batch, I traded someone from Nevada Shooters for either small pistol or small rifle for large pistol. Started loading in the early 70's before I went into the service.

Would like to see the price come down and more stock but not sure that will happen anytime soon. So I use what I have and pay the price for what I need.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Stuff will come down a little, but will never go back to where it was.

3 or 4 cents for a primer? Nah. We’ll be lucky to see 7-8

20 cents for factory brass 9mm? Nah. 40 will be the new norm.

MrGoat

Very Active Member
If you shop carefully, 30c per round for Brass 9mm is findable. Normally Norma or Blazer Brass right now, but def findable.

Poena238

Peanut Butter
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I ordered 124gr. Nato 9mm from True Shot Gun Club on Tuesday last week, arrived on Friday, for $313 delivered.

tdyoung58

Grumpy Old Clay Shooting Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Federal 209A are $45.99 per 1k
Cheddite's when available $59.99 per 1k
Plus the tyrannical taxation.

Buy the time I run out of metallic cartridges to shoot, they'll be plenty laying around. Unless they be mine laying around.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Well, if we're talking about shotgun primers, I thought they were cheaper right now than pistol/rifle.
This is from April 2021:
Screenshot_20220811-194724_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Last edited:

Jet

Cheddite primers are roughly 60 to 75/1000 at the moment. No way I would pay that for Cheddite.

Last edited:
Impact Guns, the original online gun store- guns, ammo, and accessories for low prices.