• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Learning the 300wm

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I started reloading during Barry’s 8 yrs of firemen and ammo scares shortages. But reloading components were still everywhere.
You are absolutely right. During those days, at least reloading components were readily available for the most part and I actually do remember Varget costing around $20 per pound. That is probably one of the most consistent, temperature-insensitive powders for the .308 Winchester.

I’ve always been interested in loading my own rounds, but I fear I’ll get consumed with continually trying to formulate the perfect load.

I have a Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WM. It will shoot 3/8” groups with factory Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Copper rounds. It absolutely hates Hornady 180 SSTs. The pic below shows both shot groups after zero. The smaller group is the Trophy Copper and measured 3/4” at 200 yards, while the 5” string is the Hornady. This was shot prone from a bipod with bags at 2300 ft elevation in WA.

158E2978-1F32-4401-8FBD-65AE9B171F40.jpeg

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
I’ve always been interested in loading my own rounds, but I fear I’ll get consumed with continually trying to formulate the perfect load.

I have a Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WM. It will shoot 3/8” groups with factory Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Copper rounds. It absolutely hates Hornady 180 SSTs. The pic below shows both shot groups after zero. The smaller group is the Trophy Copper and measured 3/4” at 200 yards, while the 5” string is the Hornady. This was shot prone from a bipod with bags at 2300 ft elevation in WA.
Yep, I can attest to the fact that you will indeed get consumed with finding that perfect recipe. Before the world went to the toilet, you could get into reloading for roughly between $500-$700 (cost of a press, dies, powder, primers, projectiles, scale, funnel, etc). Nowadays, things like primers, specific powders and certain projectiles have turned into unobtanium unicorn dust.

If you have the patience and determination, you can find them at post-pandemic prices online and local shops. Or, trading/buying from folks on this site and other boards. There is also the last resort option of paying dearly on sites like Gunbroker (for sometimes up to 6x the cost).

Good shooting by the way! I have heard of nothing but good things about the X Bolt Hells Canyon rifles. Federal Premium/Match loaded ammo has always performed well in my rifles. I would say stick with what works well for you and if you ever get the bug to reload, hit me up with any questions. Happy to help

Saber6

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Went out today and tried some 195eld-x with imr 4350.. did very well. If I can repeat this then I’ll be happy as can be.. I only have 15lbs of powder to find a bullet that works.. so far it’s been the sub 200g stuff works best..

4CC461AC-49C1-4D36-838B-B4598526C7E7.jpeg

Saber6

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
The 200g Berger hybrid did very well with retumbo.. I’ll make another batch of these and see if it’s repeatable as well..

CA6BB7C5-78EF-4B55-AFD4-1B8D8CFEA223.jpeg

Saber6

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
And I completely agree with the time consuming quest of perfect recipe. If I could get some h1000 I’d be tickled,, but I have to settle with not optimal powders and bullets selections..

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Hey Sabre6, have you had a chance to chrono that 200gr Berger load with Retumbo? According to Hodgdon's load guide, it looks like you've got about 2 more grains to go before you hit max pressure. Depending on your barrel length, I'm guessing that 76.5 grain recipe is getting you around 2750-2800 fps.

You may be getting close to that ideal stage where barrel whip/harmonics will reduce or eliminate that pesky flyer.

Saber6

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
My max load that day was 77.5gn retumbo behind the 200gn hybrid.. it started to open back up again right around 77gn (7/8”) and at the 77.5gn weight it was a tad over an inch..

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
Ah, got it. I've never tried the 200gr Berger hybrids. I wonder if they're sensitive to seating depth. Out of practice, I tend to start at .020" from the lands and then jump further from there if needed.

Saber6

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Yea I’ll fiddle with seating depths once I get a good repeatable 5/8moa load.. anything smaller than that don’t concern me too much,, but sub half could be fun.. I only play around out to 1k. So a theoretical 5-7in group at that range suits me fine.

Saber6

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Tried out some 208 eld-m moms retumbo,, did really good on this load. But the 3rd shot felt weird and I had a hard bolt lift. Comparing the brass to the other 2 it had a flattened out sharp edged primer. I double check everything when I prep the brass and load the ammo up.. I’m wondering what I missed or overlooked.

33D799DB-A627-4B6D-9159-42508A6AA37D.jpeg