• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Marlin 45 Camp Rifle Questions

tdyoung58

Grumpy Old Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Thinking of getting one, for a truck gun since I'm usually caring a 1911 and that's what magazines it uses. I know they were discontinued in 1999

Tell me what you know about them.

I know they are on point. Hole puncher first time out with my pops shooting he was suprised how well i shot...I think it was the rifle. I always wanted it he told me years later it was stolen. Cool arm to have if you can get one. Put hole threw the steel i was shooting at only 20 yards or so prolly 1/4" maybe 1/8 " steel spinning plate was hooked on 45 since slow heavy slug hole punching power you can almost feel the spidy sense slow motion kick in when thumping rounds like you see it mid air then pap you see the hit connect. ... Slow mo rounds like boxing.

Bless fellow humans

flashpan

Lurking Member
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
Just a thought, I understand 45 high point carbines can be adapted to use 1911 mags. Takes an adapter. They are a lot easier to find and likely a lot cheaper too.

Just a thought, I understand 45 high point carbines can be adapted to use 1911 mags. Takes an adapter. They are a lot easier to find and likely a lot cheaper too.

Yeah but ugly as hell lol this aint planet of the apes. Lol wait. ... Maybe. Lol. But yeah i grabbed one thinking hell yeah got me a 45 carbiiine ... The 45 round is the only thing cool about it hearing them thunk on tree trunks pinballing around the secluded forest.. I mean unless its going to be that sit in the old boat old truck just in case thing like most. They are alright but the spoiledness of holding something better got to me. They are good but. Idk ...i do like arms id prolly get one now just to have it. to each their own. I ended up trading it for something else i cant even remember and cash on top. Was fun while it lasted.
Bless Fellow Humans

flashpan

Lurking Member
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I've never owned a Hi point myself. I was just thinking it was a neat idea to have pistol and carbine combo that took 1911 mags.

Another option is Just Right Carbines, but they are uglier to me than a Hi point.

tdyoung58

Grumpy Old Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I've never owned a Hi point myself. I was just thinking it was a neat idea to have pistol and carbine combo that took 1911 mags.

Another option is Just Right Carbines, but they are uglier to me than a Hi point.
I had one of the original version Hi-points years ago. Very reliable, but ugliest gun I ever owned.

Didn't know you could run a 1911 mag in a Hi-point. I was looking at the "Just Right Carbines, does use a Glock magazine.

Also checking into the AR pistol in 45

I had one of the original version Hi-points years ago. Very reliable, but ugliest gun I ever owned.

Didn't know you could run a 1911 mag in a Hi-point. I was looking at the "Just Right Carbines, does use a Glock magazine.

The original ones are in planet of the apes. So futuristic! Lol

Gullwing

"Gunsmith"
Staff member
Friend of mine wanted a Camp 9 carbine for years to replace one he let go years ago. Finally tracked one down, and in good condition. The day after it arrived at the shop, a guy walked in with a near perfect deluxe model and could have bought it for less than what he just paid for his.

Thinking of getting one, for a truck gun since I'm usually caring a 1911 and that's what magazines it uses. I know they were discontinued in 1999

Tell me what you know about them.
I have one, you will want to replace the recoil buffer and the recoil spring. I got them from wolf springs. Also a quality 1911 mag will work, you might have to adjust the mag so it doesn't stove pipe.
Great guns but expensive and not easy to find.

Luxom

Obsessed Member

I had one too. Actually not a bad gun, and its so ugly that even if you miss the badguy you could just offend him away with the sight of the rifle. I also didnt know of a magazine conversion for 1911 mags or i might have kept it. I had dozens of 1911 magazines around that same time.
Ive also had the 995 model in 9mm. Had the matching JHP, and c9 handguns too for the lols.
I paid less than $100 for any of them im sure. Sold them so long ago now i cant recall what i got but probably $100 a piece. Lol

Theyre great truck guns because they DO tend to shoot well, and theyre so cheap and ugly that if they were to get stolen, or dropped overboard or something you wouldnt really miss it.

One of these marlin ranch rifles sound cool, but cost/results in my mind. Its your money though and my perspective is that of somebody fairly poor.

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
I had a Camp 9 and later a Camp 45. Getting rid of the magazine disconnect was an absolute PITA. You definitely need to keep an eye on the condition of the buffer; if it gets battered, the receiver starts battering the stock and eventually can crack or break the stock. You have to be careful what cleaners you use - IIRC, Gun Scrubber could damage the trigger housing, anything like brake cleaner could destroy it.

On the good side, they're "non scary" in appearance, have easy to use controls and are so darn accurate it's boring. If I were looking today, I wouldn't be looking for the Camp Carbine unless one dropped in my lap at a bargain price (yeah, riiiiight... lol). I'd be taking a hard look at the Just Right.

I currently have a Just Right in .45 ACP and had a 9MM and only sold it to pick up a 9MM AR. They are pretty decent pistol caliber carbines. Some older .45s exhibited cycling issues; my .45 has a threaded coupling to make the buffer tube effectively a little longer, which eliminated the issue as I recall. The newer versions have a slightly different trigger housing; the older ones were not compatible with a BFSIII but the current ones are according to the manufacturer. If that's a concern to you, I have no idea, it's just information.

You aren't far from my neck of the woods; if you wanted to try the JR Carbine, I'm sure we can arrange it.

tdyoung58

Grumpy Old Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Yeah, the mute I read about the issues the Camp Carbine has, I think going in a different direction might be better.

But I really liked the fact it used 1911 magazines