• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My fun gun

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
The downside is that when the war starts, I'll be standing there with people shouting at me, and I'll be all: "Hang on, dammit! I'm thinking!"
Remember back when you could have up to TWO guns on your CCW , but you had to qualify with both , and both make / model and serial # were listed on your permit ? That was my hardest decision , standing in front of the safe an hour before class was due to start... " But which two do I choose ? " :)

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Remember back when you could have up to TWO guns on your CCW , but you had to qualify with both , and both make / model and serial # were listed on your permit ? That was my hardest decision , standing in front of the safe an hour before class was due to start... " But which two do I choose ? " :)
Mine were the very same Colt Government Model Combat Elite .45 that I'm carrying today, and a 3" S&W Model 19-7 K-Comp .357, back from when their Performance Center actually made decent guns. Don't EVER shoot that without hearing protection. I would never carry that as a defensive handgun again.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Mine originally was a Combat Commander Satin Nickel ,45 and a Colt Government Satin Nickel. Though on the next renewal it was Colt Officers ACP and a Para P14 , still have all of them.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
When you CC a 5" 1911, do you OWB carry and just wear a shirt over it?
Pretty much. Especially when you open carry most of the time. I wear tucked shirts, so I usually only conceal in the winter.

Poena238

Peanut Butter
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Before & after. Wheel gun ICORE range days are awesome, and that my 82 yr old father shoots his S&W 929 in the matches with me makes it all the better.

View attachment 90032

View attachment 90033
I counted 26 sets of moon clips there. I really like wheel guns but don't think I'll ever want to have one in 9mm. However, I feel like 150 rounds of 9mm would last me three times as long with a wheel gun than it would in the semi autos with 15+ round magazines..

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Whooaaa you made shells like that? That's cool..
Not sure what you are referring to ? Those are 9mm rounds on moon clips , that is what that gun uses from the factory ( S&W Perf Center 929 9mm ).

That 150 rounds was just enough to complete a local ICORE match. I load about 30-35 moon clips the night before a match , then test each moonclip in the cylinder to make sure none are bent , have high primers , etc. This way I do not have to worry about reloading the moonclips between stages.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
When you CC a 5" 1911, do you OWB carry and just wear a shirt over it?
For several years in Vegas I conceal carried a 5" railed 1911. I carried it in a "Mad Spaniard" (Style designed by good ole Jordi) style rig that was made by James Dean Gunleather. IWB/OWB convertible, mouth stays open, etc. Hands down my favorite holster I've ever owned, I just don't carry 1911's anymore.

Heres the holster with my throw away gun.

5220BF19-EFDB-4F10-8C71-B75026A57666.jpeg

Poena238

Peanut Butter
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
For several years in Vegas I conceal carried a 5" railed 1911, carried it in a "Mad Spaniard" (Style designed by good ole Jordi) style rig that was made by James Dean Gunleather. IWB/OWB convertible, mouth stays open, etc. Hands down my favorite holster I've ever owned, I just don't carry 1911's anymore.
I'm going to look into that. I don't have much interest in carrying a 1911, but I'd like to know that for a fact if that makes sense?

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
I'm going to look into that. I don't have much interest in carrying a 1911, but I'd like to know that for a fact if that makes sense?
The leather maker is long gone, and out of business, and I have never seen another design quite like this. I do know a guy that could replicate that holster for you, however.

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
When I use to stuff a 1911 into my pants, it was a Galco Summer Comfort holster. Not as thin as getting the two straps offset like that, but at least it had two good straps instead of one or just a clip. It is still a good holster that just doesn't see much usage.

Dr. Marneaus

Wheel Gun Guy
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
When I use to stuff a 1911 into my pants, it was a Galco Summer Comfort holster. Not as thin as getting the two straps offset like that, but at least it had two good straps instead of one or just a clip. It is still a good holster that just doesn't see much usage.
I've made it a goal to find holsters as close to this style as I can now. The offset belt loops don't only help with the thickness, but also make it ride super stable.

I presently have a 627 snub nose rammed in my pants, riding in a Lobo Gunleather Offset Belt loop holster that is similar, but it misses the boat with the little notch right in front of the holster mouth, and the mouth reinforcement. I love this rig, but it collapses bad when you draw the gun. The Mad Spaniard is literally the most perfect design for a full size gun that I've ever encountered.

Last edited: